PDA

View Full Version : If you have a Mac and a Droid phone...

pastrygirl
06-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Do they play nice? I realllllly want a smartphone and don't feel like waiting to see if the iPhone will come to Verizon in my lifetime. But, I really love the ease of my iPod Touch in terms of syncing with my calendar, address book, etc. Would I miss all of that? What about apps? I love me some iPhone apps!! And then finally, would I get annoyed still having to carry around two devices -- my Touch and my phone?

I saw the Droid Incredible the other day and feel that I must have it.

wellyes
06-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Can't answer the Mac questions but re: Droid Incredible.... Verizon just yesterday announced that the Droid X will be coming July 15. This phone is screamin', enough to make me give up on the Verizon iPhone pipe dream:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2365576,00.asp

BillK
06-24-2010, 09:14 AM
The next VZW droid - codenamed "scorpion" for now - is supposedly going to put both the Incredible and X to shame. I'm guessing its out in August or Sept given how fast HTC is pumping out phones lately.

pastrygirl
06-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Can't answer the Mac questions but re: Droid Incredible.... Verizon just yesterday announced that the Droid X will be coming July 15. This phone is screamin', enough to make me give up on the Verizon iPhone pipe dream:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2365576,00.aspHa, yes... the problem is affordability! I'm guessing the Droid Incredible will go down in price once that one comes out, but maybe not. Hmmm. I'll have to think about this. I might have some leeway since I got my husband an iPad a couple of days ago... :innocent:

pastrygirl
06-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Also, how does it work with iTunes? Would it be able to completely replace my iPod Touch?

Toba
06-25-2010, 03:29 PM
The next VZW droid - codenamed "scorpion" for now - is supposedly going to put both the Incredible and X to shame. I'm guessing its out in August or Sept given how fast HTC is pumping out phones lately.

Bill, do you have a link??

My 1st generation Storm is fading fast and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to hold out until July 17 when the X comes out. I haven't heard about the Scorpion at all.

clc053103
06-25-2010, 03:43 PM
I am about to go get an Incredible at the anniversary price ($99 with my new every two rate). Now wondering if I should hold out for X, or just wait until after the debut to see if the price of the incredible drops further- though they are saying limited inventory on the Incredible.

Then BillK has to throw in the "scorpion" to make things even tougher to decide! LOL!!!

pastrygirl
06-30-2010, 01:51 PM
The Incredible is backordered all over, so I have no choice but to wait for the X. Then I'll decide after seeing them both. The problem is that I will be on vacation! I'll probably check it out in-store then order online and have it shipped to my MIL's... :)

m448
06-30-2010, 02:35 PM
No help on the Mac part but I absolutely love my incredible. Hubby has one too. Love the size, the functionality and the apps. Love that it works so well with all my google stuff.

BillK
06-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Bill, do you have a link??

My 1st generation Storm is fading fast and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to hold out until July 17 when the X comes out. I haven't heard about the Scorpion at all.
http://www.droidedup.com/2010/06/1-5-ghz-htc-scorpion-olympian-could-end-up-being-the-droid-scorpion-hint-hint/

It's all conjecture at this point but the source seems to be pretty reliable about it and has been right before. Last time I was in the VZW store the rep I talked to told me he was holding out for the Scorpion as well - so I'm pretty certain it's going to be reality - but I'd guess not until closer to Fall.

And don't forget about Samsung's big launch of the new Galaxy (for all carriers) from yesterday. The VZW version is gonna be called the Fascinate - and looks VERY much like an iPhone 3gs.

http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-verizon-fascinate

Toba
06-30-2010, 10:48 PM
^^ Thanks Bill!

pastrygirl
07-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Grrr. I found out today that Amazon is getting the Incredible TOMORROW. So why isn't Verizon? My husband refuses to order/upgrade through anyone but Verizon directly, so I might have to wait until August to get my new phone. I'm going to check out the Droid X when it comes out, but have a feeling it will be too big.

I'm too impatient to wait for the upcoming fall releases. Want shiny new phone now!

Toba
07-05-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm too impatient to wait for the upcoming fall releases. Want shiny new phone now!

This is so me, but I have learned from my mistakes. DH got his BB Storm first and my eyes were glued to it for days ... got one about a week later, I was good with for a while, now I just want to chuck it out the window (there's something wrong with it and it's not under warranty and I'm due for a new upgrade anyway). I saw the CASE for the Incredible this weekend (in a Target, where all the guts are removed .... grrr) and it's smaller than my BB. I know the Droid X and Scorpion will be hefty phones but that's why I carry them in my purse. :) Geek before pretty. LOL

BillK
07-06-2010, 08:31 AM
I'm going to check out the Droid X when it comes out, but have a feeling it will be too big.

I got to play around with a Droid X dummy at my local VZW store on Saturday. The size isn't bad - it's pretty much identical to my iPhone w/Otterbox Defender case on - except it's a lot thinner than my Otterbox case. The camera "hump" isn't nearly as bad as it looks in photos.

I plan to be at my VZW store the morning of 7/15 to switch back from ATT and get 2 Droid X's.

Anyone wanna buy 2 spotless iPhone 3GS's? ;)

Toba
07-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Not waiting to compare the X to the Scorpion?

BillK
07-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Not waiting to compare the X to the Scorpion?
I dunno - if there's not any more Scorpion updates between now and the 15th I'll probably just go for 2 X's for my wife and I - if there's any more concrete info that comes to light before then I "might" wait.

The way I understand it - the new 2.2 Froyo update for Android is a lot more involved with the HTC handsets/Sense and may not even be out until Christmas for those phones - whereas the Moto version will be out by late summer (and includes Flash 10.1). We'll see how things play out between now and Droid X launch day. The whole Incredible AMOLED display issue and the delays have sort of soured me on HTC - we'll see though. One thing I've learned being an electronics junkie is if you keep waiting for the next big thing - you'll never take the plunge. :)

Toba
07-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Do you know if the Droid X has MotoBlur? The last time I looked there wasn't much technical information on the X and my DH said there were some problems with MotoBlur ....

Honestly, I'm inclined to get the X, even though the Scorpion is supposedly boasting 50% more speed. I've had Motorola phones a few times (way back when .... we've had cell phones since November 1995, right after we got back from our honeymoon) and I've never really had a problem with them. And their pairing with their bluetooth ear pieces has been exceptional, in my own experience. But I've never had a Motorola smartphone ... and it's only been recently that I've even heard of HTC. Plus there's that pesky business of my BB working like crap now .... I'm thinking we're going with the X too. My DH promised me if they announce the iPhone in January for VZW, he'll buy me one for a belated Mother's Day present (of course, then he'd get one too, he gets a deep discount on the primary phone from work), which should be June-ish for Apple. I can't remember being so indecisive about buying something.

BillK
07-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Do you know if the Droid X has MotoBlur? The last time I looked there wasn't much technical information on the X and my DH said there were some problems with MotoBlur ....
My understanding it is somewhat MotoBlur'ish - but it's not MotoBlur. Apparently they've fixed pretty much all the complaints about MotoBlur in this release and it's pretty slick. The widgets etc aren't as "pretty" as the HTC ones but they are much more customizable than how HTC does it.

Check out some of the video reviews of it on MobileBurn, Phandroid, Android Central, Boy Genius Reports and TechnoBuffalo - they have some nice YouTube videos showing how to you can resize/move and adjust the widgets. The whole Moto UI isn't as pretty as how HTC did it with Sense but it seems much more user friendly and tweakable to me.

The new Samsung Galaxy S (Fascinate for VZW) has the Hummingbird processor which is supposedly a LOT more snappy than the Snapdragon in the Incredible - not sure how it compares with the X though. I'm just not sure I want the Samsung since it's sooooo iPhone'ish and I want something different - Samsung has always seemed to try to mimic the iPhone and it's no different with the Fascinate - plus they are apparently a lot slower on the updates than most other manufacturers.

wellyes
07-06-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm planning on getting an X. Scorpion is faster but X is waaaaaaaaay more than adequate. It's faster than my *gaming* PC I put together about 2 years ago.

I :heartbeat: my iPod Touch and I've invested a lot of time and a bit of cash in getting my apps set up just right. But I'm sick of having to work offline so often, no radio, no GPS. Time to move on and I guess Droid is the best option. In other words, AT&T? This is how much I don't want anything to do with you.

And Bill: Android owes you a commission! This was barely on my radar screen much but now I can't wait until my 'new every 2' comes up in August. I'm actually wondering if I can get it earlier since it seems like they're giving the same rebate/deal to ANYONE due for a new phone in 2010 so not sure if waiting til August will get me anything. Will have to ask at a VZ store.

BillK
07-06-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm planning on getting an X. Scorpion is faster but X is waaaaaaaaay more than adequate. It's faster than my *gaming* PC I put together about 2 years ago.

I :heartbeat: my iPod Touch and I've invested a lot of time and a bit of cash in getting my apps set up just right. But I'm sick of having to work offline so often, no radio, no GPS. Time to move on and I guess Droid is the best option. In other words, AT&T? This is how much I don't want anything to do with you.

And Bill: Android owes you a commission! This was barely on my radar screen much but now I can't wait until my 'new every 2' comes up in August. I'm actually wondering if I can get it earlier since it seems like they're giving the same rebate/deal to ANYONE due for a new phone in 2010 so not sure if waiting til August will get me anything. Will have to ask at a VZ store.

Heck - I'm looking at $495 in ETF's over 4 phones with ATT - and I'm still gonna do it - that's how sick I am of ATT and their billing shenanigans. Sure they "fix" it every month - but I STILL have to call them. I figure I can get $400-500 out of 2 iPhone 3GS's (one 32gb and one 16gb) with 2 Otterbox Defenders, 2 desktop charging cradles, 3 other assorted cases and 2 extra screen guards with all the original packaging to pay my ETF.

As far as VZW bumping your NE2 - I've "heard" if you call CS and ask them to talk to a supervisor they WILL bump your NE2 up by a few weeks. ;)

Oh yea - here's a new official VZW video for the X - enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zDpUwwCyYA

Here are links to a few other reviews & rundown vids etc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccu3m09Ll2A (Android Central video)
http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-x (Android Central Review)
http://www.youtube.com/user/mobileburn#p/u/3/FMG0Wjnuq3I (Mobile Burn #1)
http://www.youtube.com/user/mobileburn#p/u/1/9nQX4VeNNxc (Mobile Burn #2)
http://www.youtube.com/user/mobileburn#p/u/0/RTZGk3TAmfs (Mobile Burn #3)
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/06/30/motorola-droid-x-review/ (Boy Genius Report)
http://phandroid.com/2010/07/02/motorola-droid-x-review/ (Phandroid)
http://www.technobuffalo.com/?s=droid+x (Techno Buffalo)

pastrygirl
07-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Phone Arena has a comparison between the X and Incredible. Sold me on the X! I'm going to be stuck in a car all day on the 15th so I won't be able to get it right away. I hope they don't have the same inventory problems as the Incredible...

BillK
07-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Phone Arena has a comparison between the X and Incredible. Sold me on the X! I'm going to be stuck in a car all day on the 15th so I won't be able to get it right away. I hope they don't have the same inventory problems as the Incredible...
The guys at my corporate VZW store assured me there would be "plenty to go around" at launch - unlike the Incredible. Who knows though - the geek sites are REALLY starting to buzz like mad about the X. I plan to be at my VZW store when they open on the 15th.

pastrygirl
07-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Plus there are others like me , who wanted the Incredible but are switching to the X. Please post when you get yours! :)

pastrygirl
07-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Got to see and hold a Droid X today!!!!!! (not powered) Will definitely be standing in line tomorrow. :)

BillK
07-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Going to my VZW store after I drop Zach off at Kindergarten "boot camp" at 8:30 tomorrow. The store opens at 8am - and my contact at the store told me he'd set 2 X's aside for me. We'll see if he really does or not - I'm gonna be pissed if they're sold out by the time I get there at 8:45'ish.

Will post back with my thoughts (or rant) if I get them (or don't). ;)

Toba
07-15-2010, 05:11 AM
Just ordered my Droid X online ... the rebate is instant online instead of mail-in at the store. They have free overnight shipping by 3 PM and today (Thursday) is a really busy day so I won't have time to play around with it anyway. Can't wait to hear the reviews though!!! I'm a little nervous about buying an expensive phone sight unseen.

BillK
07-15-2010, 05:04 PM
2 new Droid X's acquired this morning. Soooooo different from our iPhones - but in a good way! Love em so far.

AnnieW625
07-15-2010, 05:20 PM
2 new Droid X's acquired this morning. Soooooo different from our iPhones - but in a good way! Love em so far.

that's great Bill! I am hoping to go and see them soon. I really need to upgrade my 5 y/o flip Motorola.

pastrygirl
07-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Anyone have a Mac? I can't figure out how to get the Mac to recognize the Droid X when I have it plugged in. I followed the suggestions I found online about pulling down the notification bar and selecting "USB Mass Storage" as the USB connection type, but that didn't do it. The Droid X dings when I plug and unplug it from the Mac, so it knows that it's connected...

Toba
07-16-2010, 01:01 PM
I am absolutely furious with Verizon right now. I ordered my phone and an accessories bundle at 4:03 AM yesterday. My husband got the sales confirmation email at 4:57 AM (he's the primary, so it went to his email). I've been putting in the order number they gave in the email into Verizon's "check my order status" since yesterday and nothing came up. I called them at noon today (they had a promotion on the site that you would receive free overnight by 3 PM shipping) and they can't find my order. Apparently they sold out their stock by noon yesterday ... but wait, I already ordered mine at 4:00 AM. Oops. So after speaking to five reps and supervisors I have them calling the store to reserve a phone for me TODAY and waive the mail-in rebate (which was the whole reason I ordered it online) AND get me my auto accessories bundle toot sweet. The supervisor is telling me that she can't guarantee that they'll waive the fee and I interrupted her and said, "Well since this is obviously a screw up on your end and this has already been billed to my account, I would think you would implore the sales manager to waive the rebate to keep a very longtime customer of yours happy." We'll see. She's showing very limited stock in all the stores around me, and they don't expect another shipment of them until 7/23 so if you wanted one of these, you might want to get it quickly.

Bill, how are the phones so far? Any really cool things??