PDA

View Full Version : Decluttering.. Too Much?

Raidra
06-24-2010, 09:23 AM
We had pretty much resigned ourself to moving into a smaller place, and I was really looking forward to getting rid of a lot of our stuff. I'm really feeling weighed down by things, you know? So anyway.. now we're looking at hiring a lawyer because the mortgage company really did screw us, so there's a chance we might be staying. That's great and all, but I still want to get rid of a ton of stuff! Our attic is full of toys and junk, the kids have way too many toys still out even with everything we've put away.. and I promised them that when we moved and sold a lot of our stuff at a yard sale, that they could pick out any one thing from TRU.

So.. would it be too much to do a massive decluttering without the excuse of a move? Has anyone just randomly gotten rid of tons of toys? How did the kids take it? How have you managed it?

I'm also trying to figure out how to store the stuff prior to a yard sale.. we were going to rent a POD for a month so we could get the stuff out of the house as we sorted it, but now that we won't be selling quite as much stuff, that's a bit too expensive (it's about $300 a month). Any thoughts? Getting the stuff outside is always the worst part of a yard sale for us..

HIU8
06-24-2010, 09:31 AM
We do the toy declutter at least 2x a year (in conjunction with a big consignment sale that I consign at). The kids have to pick up to 10 items to get rid of from their toys. I get to go through and weed out the toys that they have outgrown (like the fisher price laugh and learn house that we still have). I also go through all the toys for the small parts/broken stuff etc... and get rid of that. I've been able to keep the toys pretty much under control with this method.

The best way I've found to be able to get the toys out without whining/crying etc.. is to involve the kids in the purge (otherwise I think the house would be overrun with the stuff they just don't want to get rid of).

baymom
06-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Whenever I've done toy purges, I get rid of all the toys they have outgrown when DC are sleeping. Otherwise, it's impossible for me to get rid of anything. Then, the 3 of us work together to decide what to donate/toss. I have to say, that portion of the purge doesn't work too well for us, because generally all they are willing to part with is tiny, junky goodie bag type of toys, not the big stuff. Good luck! You should definitly do it, move or no move!

Green_Tea
06-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Honestly (and perhaps I'll get flamed for this), I don't ask and I purge when they're sleeping. My children don't want to let go of ANYTHING, yet they never notice that anything is missing, either. One thing that has helped is to get rid of everything that is already out of sight in the basement. That frees up space for stuff I am on the fence about getting rid of.

It helps to watch them play for a few days and see what goes untouched. Sometimes I don't even clean up the toys for a few days. They toys that never get pulled out are the first to go.

Melaine
06-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Not only is it ok, but I think it is great and healthy. We do these kind of things about once a season. My kids have been fine with it so far...but I think I will be encountering a bit more resistance now that they are a little older. When and if we get the playstands I'm planning for, we will be doing another massive de-clutter in prep for getting such a big item. I find it easier to get rid of things by selling them on CL, so that at least I feel like I'm getting a bit of return (sometimes a great return) on my investment. There are so many toys that just are not favorites, so getting rid of 10 of them to buy one nice toy that will definitely get played with is worth it to me.

hillview
06-24-2010, 09:56 AM
I do it without moving. Just went through one and need about 3 more!
/hillary

SunCB
06-24-2010, 09:56 AM
We were lucky we had a move several states away to help clear stuff out so but I am still in the purpose of decluttering bc his family (only grandchildren/niece & nephews) keeps giving us stuff mostly toys and we held onto a lot for them. It is a lot of work but I am seeing a very small light at the end of the tunnel. It has been a bit hard since I have all kids at home now and I have to tend to the rest of life's daily stuff.

The kids do not like hearing that I am going to be selling some of their toys but once it is taken and put in a box they really have not asked about it since I am not taking stuff that is always played with. I still have a couple boxes that never came out from the move also so they totally have forgotten about those plus some are for DD now.

We use 1 bdrm as the storage rm for everything since we are in a rental house (have attic but people warned about black widows so I am scared to go up there) and DD is still in her bed next to me. Also, DH has 1 bdrm as an office but I could put stuff in there if I need a place to store for a short time.

You said you had stuff in your attic. Well, box it up and put it up there if you have no other rm. At our old house we had no attic so we used DH's parents' and we had a small section for us and even up there I sort and labeled everything. When we moved I donated 22 boxes (box that had like 10 reams of paper in them) of children's clothes (have 2 very lg rubbermaid boxes of boy clothes if we have another) that was sorted by age and stacked in order if I needed to used it again (I did for DS2 came so it worked wonders). You could already prep everything with tags/stickers before boxing/storing. This way when it comes time to sell that part was done as you went along so it is not same as hard and you can focus on layout.

GL, LM

egoldber
06-24-2010, 09:58 AM
I also do it when they are not home or asleep. More for younger DD than older DD. I put them in a box or bin and store it for a few months. If they haven't noticed, it goes.

ETA: Also, I donate. Toys sell for almost nothing at yard sales and it really just isn't worth it to me to hold onto 3 bins of toys I may sell for $10 total for 6 months.

brittone2
06-24-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm getting the itch. We decluttered before our move but I want to do even more. We'll be moving again in a few months when we buy (again) and I'd like to have some stuff decluttered by then.

DS2 is totally getting handmedown toys for Christmas/bday this year as we don't need *anything* else for him.

kijip
06-24-2010, 10:33 AM
De-cluttering is as least as frequent and important around here as every 6 month dental check-ups. Go for it.

trentsmom
06-24-2010, 02:37 PM
DS2 is totally getting handmedown toys for Christmas/bday this year as we don't need *anything* else for him.

This is what I did this year. DS1 and I cleaned up some of his old toys, and that is what he gave DS2 for Christmas and birthday. I'm pretty sure I read about doing that here.