PDA

View Full Version : URGENT Advice: How to prep DD for TB PPD Skin test?

ha98ed14
06-24-2010, 11:42 AM
We are going this morning for DD to get a PPD test. I tested positive. SHe also needs another HIB and a Hep A. The vaxs were planned for today, but then we found out about the PPD on Monday. She didn't know about either. She knows about shots and that they hurt. I won't lie and say it does not hurt, or tell her no shot if I know she is going to get one. How should I prepare her? Do I tell her the hours before or the minute before? Is promising her ice cream after horrible? Do I go through with both shots and the PPD, or just the PPD? Help!

ha98ed14
06-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Anyone? Please! I am leaving in 20 minutes!

egoldber
06-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Well, I think it hurts worse than a shot. I would tell her that it will be "like a shot", but hurt a "little" more.

I have no issues with ice cream or a visit to the toy store for a small toy after a doctor visit like that. :)

ha98ed14
06-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Well, I think it hurts worse than a shot. I would tell her that it will be "like a shot", but hurt a "little" more.

I have no issues with ice cream or a visit to the toy store for a small toy after a doctor visit like that. :)

Is it awful to do all three in one visit? How far in advance do I tell her?

egoldber
06-24-2010, 12:07 PM
I tell them when the nurse goes out to prep the shots. :o

TonFirst
06-24-2010, 12:09 PM
I tell them when the nurse goes out to prep the shots. :o

I do the same thing - my son is a needle-phobe and if he knew beforehand he'd be near a stroke with anxiety. And we ALWAYS hit Target after for a treat.

GonnaBeNana
06-24-2010, 12:17 PM
We just go. No prep. Of course they know when they get there, what's going to occur. "Then, I just tell them the truth. Yes, you're getting a shot. Yes, it's going to hurt some. I will be here with you all the time. (I go first if I'm getting one too). It doesn't feel good, but it's MUCH BETTER than getting the disease that this shot will keep you from getting. I love you enough to let a little pain, keep you from having more pain, or even dying."

My kids are older now, but when they were younger, a treat or something was in order afterward. There's nothing wrong with giving a child ice cream after an experience like that. Heck, I give my kids a treat sometimes just to spend time talking with them over the ice cream cone! That's relationship building that also tastes good!

Beth