PDA

View Full Version : AC vents in one room not working...

Melaine
06-24-2010, 01:55 PM
What do you think this would be? We need to get the AC serviced anyway...but I'm just curious why only one room (two vents) might not be getting any air flow. Any ideas?

TIA!

LMPC
06-24-2010, 01:58 PM
In our house, there are pipes (they look like aluminum foil) to each of the vents in our house. So if I was experiencing no AC in only one room, I could go up to the attic and see if there was something wrong with that particular pipe. If you are getting AC to the rest of the house, hopefully, it's something easy and cheap!!!

Andi98989
06-24-2010, 02:07 PM
On the actual duct work leading to the room there are usually dampers that you can close - they block off air flow more effectively than the vents in the room do. It's usually a wingnut or something like that which controls it. If you don't have access to the ductwork, I think you can run a flexible tubing or something from the vent side and push it open that way.

DS's room was staying very warm this spring and we realized the damper on his duct was closed - and apparently had been since before we was born! We'd closed it off a long time ago and completely forgot about it. His room wasn't much colder than the rest of the house this winter because it was easier for the heat to just flow in there than it was to cool the air. If that makes sense. :)

ETA: Also, if those rooms are the end of your a/c run it could be an issue with the Freon level (that happened with my college roommate)

Melaine
06-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Thank you! We don't have ductwork easily accessible and our crawlspace is teeny tiny so I guess we need the AC guys anyway. But I will check the dampers like you said....that sounds plausible. I'm kicking myself because I am thinking that maybe they have always been closed somehow. Our kitchen always gets ridiculously hot in the summer....and this could be a good reason.