PDA

View Full Version : Naps in my arms - Do I ferber?

jkgal
06-24-2010, 03:23 PM
I am new here and not all that familiar with the abbreviations. Been reading all the wonderful comments and posts of everyone.

Just wondering if any of you would have suggestions on our situations. DD is almost 6 months (5 month and 3 weeks) and its a struggle to let her nap on her crib. My husband and I have been trying to Ferber her on her first nap of the day.

She sleep well at night (7-730 till 630 am with 1 night feeding). When she rubs her eyes and become fussy, we start the bedtime routine - pink light on, draw the room darkening curtain, bottle, burb, swaddle and rock on a bouncy ball. My husband is the one in charge of the bedtime. It was a struggle too the first few weeks but not she can fall alseep on her own. He lay her down still awake. No cry or fuss. Maybe seldom.

Naptime is a different scenario. She would only take naps on my arms and cries when I try to lay her down. When she turned 5 months 3 weeks ago, we decided its time to train her since she is big already and I dont get to do anything.

One to 2 hours after she wakes up in the morning, usually around 9-30am, when she gets fussy -we try to set up the pink light, curtain, swaddle her then crib. Of course she would complain, we would go back to comfort her every 5, 10, 15, 20 mins and so on until 1 hour - just talking and rubbing her. Of course she would cry louder. Then pick her up if she wont fall asleep. she was not getting any until the 2nd week but only for 30 mins.

This week is our 3rd week and starting last weekend, my husband was the one doing this. she would just cry for a few minutes then fall alseep. One day, my husband had to go to work early and I did the exact thing. She cried for 40 mins before sleeping only 20 minutes. I am frustrated, she fall alseep easily with him not me!

Now I are trying to do the same with her 2nd and 3rd (sometimes) nap. 1 give her a bath first before doing the routine on her 2nd nap. No success, she has been crying for almost 1 hour. Its so hard listening to the cry. If I am lucky she sleeps 30 -40 mintues.

Am I doing something wrong? Does she really know if I am or her dad puts her on her naps? Any suggestions is highly appreciated! Thanks! Sorry for the long post.

Katigre
06-24-2010, 03:54 PM
I did not Ferber my babies and chose to hold them or sleep with them for naps - I don't regret it at all (did it with two children) and have lovely memories of doing so. All that to say - sometimes shifting your perspective is helpful. I can never get the time of holding them for a nap back. Household chores are always with me, cuddling my sleeping baby is not. I often coslept with them for naps as well and would get up once they were asleep - once each child was ~9 months old they slept really well alone for naps once I nursed them down and I got plenty done.

But before that when they wanted to be with me, if I didn't want to hold them, I would put them on my back in a baby carrier. It worked great - I could get done whatever I needed to and they'd nap pretty easily whether we were at home or out and about with friends. I found having them sleep in a carrier vs. crib actually helped them be more flexible sleepers.

If you want to do CIO then others here can give you advice on how to do that. I just wanted to share my experience that holding them for naps doesn't have to be a bad thing and you can transition to different ways of sleeping without CIO in a crib (neither of my kids ever slept along in a crib as babies though both did as toddlers, both are excellent sleepers).

Good luck! I hope she starts sleeping better for you soon :).

firsttimemama
06-25-2010, 08:03 PM
I remember worrying that my son would *never* sleep away from me. But he did. I too held him for naps. I love those memories. At the *time*, I vented about it to friends, and it sometimes felt a little oppressive. But I'm glad that I did it. If I could go back in time I would tell myself one day, he will sleep for naptime all by himself. The housework can wait. He will grow up very fast. (My son is now 2.5)

One of the things I miss most about having a baby in the house is holding a sleeping baby.

Baby carriers are great. Ergo, Beco, and Mei Tai are the most popular in my circle of friends.. I had both a Mei Tai and an Ergo. Babyhawk makes a good mei tai. DS would sleep in the carrier and I could get things done if I wanted. A lot of times though, I just sat on the couch and held him, caught up on tv or something.. or took a nap with him (we cosleep).