PDA

View Full Version : Is it dangerous to run the A/C while it's raining?

wencit
06-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've never encountered anything like this before. It's 90 degrees here in Boston today and super humid, so I was running the air conditioning unit all day. However, now there are strong thunder and lightning storms, but it's still warm in the house (80 degrees). I don't want to open the windows because then all the rain will come inside. DS1 just said to me, "I'm hot, can you turn on the A/C?" Is it safe to run the A/C while there is all that thunder and lightning outside?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

KathyN115
06-24-2010, 05:04 PM
I hope so, because we are in the middle of the same storm, and our AC is running. I just hope the power doesn't go out!

fivi2
06-24-2010, 05:12 PM
I have never in my entire life of living in freaking hot places heard that I need to turn off my a/c in a storm. (central or window unit).

So I can't guarantee you it is safe, but I have never heard otherwise...

Does that help at all? :)

almostamom
06-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Even during our worst monsoon storms in the Phoenix summers our A/C is most definitely ON! I've never even considered turning it off during a storm.

Linda

wencit
06-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks, ladies. That definitely helps! I was just thinking that water + electrical unit outside == bad news.

I turned the A/C back on again -- ahhhhhh!

ThreeofUs
06-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks, ladies. That definitely helps! I was just thinking that water + electrical unit outside == bad news.

I turned the A/C back on again -- ahhhhhh!

:bighand:Good for you!!

I think most of the electrical parts are inside. The outside is the coils. Could be wrong, of course, but I think that's how they keep them safe. That and the top cover.

hillview
06-24-2010, 06:38 PM
We are in boston area as well a couple of weeks ago our neighbor's window ac unit was struck by lightning and blew out their a/c, computer and washing machine. That said I don't turn mine off.
/hillary

ewpmsw
06-24-2010, 07:47 PM
I think the A/C units are designed for exposure to water and humidity, and so should not pose a hazard from a storm. Ours was encased in ice several times over the winter and runs rain or shine. I'd never tempt fate by spraying the hose into the unit, but figure it can stand up to some rain. :)

LMPC
06-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Even during our worst monsoon storms in the Phoenix summers our A/C is most definitely ON! I've never even considered turning it off during a storm.
:yeahthat: except substitute AL for Phoenix

sunshine873
06-24-2010, 10:13 PM
We are in boston area as well a couple of weeks ago our neighbor's window ac unit was struck by lightning and blew out their a/c, computer and washing machine. That said I don't turn mine off.
/hillary

Yeah, but that could happen whether the AC was turned on or not, right? When the rains come, the humidity goes up and it often just ends up feeling hotter around here. No way would I turn off my AC for rain. Ugh, I can't imagine.

wellyes
06-24-2010, 10:22 PM
If it wasn't safe to run when raining, it wouldn't be safe to run for hours after every time it rained til the parts dried out. Designed to be weatherproof, so no worries.