PDA

View Full Version : How do I get the chemicals from bug bombs out of my new house?

ehlana06
06-24-2010, 07:03 PM
WitMom's thread about spraying for pests got me thinking....

We are moving into a new home on the first and I have 2 days prior to the move to get the house cleaned and ready to move in. The house is located in a very small country village and right next to the woods. As a precaution the landlord set off bug bombs all through the house. Now I'm wondering what I can do to get these chemicals out. Is there anything that I can use in particular that will effectively get rid of these chemicals? I am particularly concerned about the carpeting. Aside from having it cleaned is there anything else I should do? Should I wipe down the walls with anything special?? Any advice/ instructions will be greatly appreciated!

ewpmsw
06-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Sorry that I don't have an answer. I'm wondering if the active ingredient(s) in the bug bombs become inactive or at least much less potent after a certain period of time. If you could find out the type of bug bombs used, I wonder if the manufacturer or local hazardous waste disposal line or even poison control could answer the question for you. Curious to hear what you find out. Good luck!

Katigre
06-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Air out the house thoroughly (all windows open + vents running) for several days. Carpet with bug bombs...ugh. I'd probably replace carpeting but that's just me (I'm a bit extreme about that stuff honestly). I would for sure clean the carpets and wipe down all surfaces that people would be touching thoroughly.

hillview
06-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Can you put throw rugs over the carpet in areas the kids will spend a lot of time? Agree air it out and wipe down all surfaces even walls and base boards.
/hillary