PDA

View Full Version : Where do you shop?

cvanbrunt
06-24-2010, 07:06 PM
I need ideas. I must be missing out on some stores and designers because I'm not finding much these days. I need to bulk up my wardrobe because I'm 2 or 3 sizes smaller that I was a year ago. I'm a professor so pretty much anything goes although I prefer professional (but not suits) on campus. Off campus, I like to be stylish but age appropriate. I'm forty. I cringe a tiny bit less each time I say that. So, here's where I have found stuff:
JCrew, Banana Republic, Boden, Anthropologie, and Bluefly. From Bluefly I like Nanette Lepore, Casual Couture by Green Envelope, and Free People (tops that aren't skimpy). I have some stuff from Ann Taylor but their stuff is really boring lately. I like Yoana Baraschi stuff as well.
I live in Indy so there are the standard department stores like Macy's, Nordstrom's, and Saks. Any stores, designers, or websites I should check out? I'm at the point in my life where I will spend money for quality and fit. Thanks!

Oh yeah. I'm short. 5'2 so I try to get petite stuff but will alter really good pieces.

hillview
06-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Call nordies. Ask them to put a dressing room together for you of (what you said below) within a price of (your price range). Go in and try it all on. LOVE to do this!
/hillary

mommylamb
06-24-2010, 07:24 PM
I totally agree with you about Ann Taylor. I used to buy a ton of stuff from them, but I have really disliked their lines for at least a year or so now. They've gone way down hill. I've been buying more from Boden and Banana Republic than I used to and less from Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft.

cvanbrunt
06-24-2010, 07:40 PM
I just hate the new cuts for the pants. I could always wear the Lindsay pant and now, its a crapshoot. So I just quit trying. Glad to hear someone else is underwhelmed.

viba424
06-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Thats tough. You mentioned every place I shop. Im nuts for boden right now, and have recently rediscovered anthropologie. I also love Barneys. They do great cashmere made in italy and have killer sales. They also have free shipping. Im honestly over wearing juniors type styles. I also like brooks brothers merino sweaters, skirts and italian shoes. Their shirts look dorky on me and their pants are too pricey. I wear pants from ann taylor and the gap.

I would definitely add Saks to that list because you can find designer stuff, and also items or brands, that are not all made in china, that you havent heard of but might like. I like them because even if youre digging in the sale rack you can trust its not crap. The best thing I ever discovered I like there are basic (modal/poly) type sleevess shells and tees by Armani. Simple, basic, modern, and I feel like a million bucks in them. Do you have one in Indy?

I also used to be big into nordstrom rack but thats always a hot mess in there.

sunnyside
06-24-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm about your size (when I'm not giganticly pregnant!) and I find that BCBG is one of my favorite lines for a petite frame.

DrSally
06-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Sound like you're pretty stylish already. I don't have much to add!

ett
06-24-2010, 10:27 PM

:yeahthat: :)

firemama
06-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Like PPs said, you are already stylish and shopping at great stores! Also like a PP said, BCBG is AWESOME!! Great quality, is expensive, but lasts forever. I also love White House Black Market.

Here are a few others I have never personally shopped at, but if I could afford them I would:

Martin + Osa
Searle NYC (stores in NY, but you can purchase online too)

There was also a store TLC What Not To Wear used to go to (when I used to watch a couple years ago). I am drawing a complete blank, but I would LOVE to shop there too and just can't afford it. The clothes are amazing and good quality. If I think of it I will post.

cvanbrunt
06-25-2010, 07:28 AM

Well thank you, that's awfully nice of you to say. I'm trying. Don't know if I'm successful or not but no one points and laughs so I've got that going.

cvanbrunt
06-25-2010, 07:33 AM
I'm about your size (when I'm not giganticly pregnant!) and I find that BCBG is one of my favorite lines for a petite frame.

What's the difference between BCBG Max Azaria and Generations? There's a BCBG MA store in town. Are these different lines under the umbrella of BCBG?

DrSally
06-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Well thank you, that's awfully nice of you to say. I'm trying. Don't know if I'm successful or not but no one points and laughs so I've got that going.

:ROTFLMAO: I'm sure you're doing better than that, esp. in an academic environment, you seem very hip.

fivi2
06-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Call nordies. Ask them to put a dressing room together for you of (what you said below) within a price of (your price range). Go in and try it all on. LOVE to do this!
/hillary

I just have to say - are you kidding me - they will do that? I live under a rock, I had no idea. That is the most awesome thing I have ever heard! :)

Babymakes3
06-25-2010, 04:36 PM
I am loving Martin & Osa lately! Get on their email list bc they have been doing really great sales lately! This weekend they had 50% off everything and they often have 40% off sale stuff too.

I love Nordstrom! I have been having luck at Macys lately too.

I get a sale alert thing in my email daily that keeps an eye on brands I like at all different stores and even gives coupon codes sometimes. If anyone wants an invite pm me your email addy! It's VERY NEAT!

ilfaith
06-26-2010, 10:28 AM
The reason Martin + Osa has been having great sales is because they are going out of business.

http://www.just-style.com/the-just-style-blog/martinosa-on-the-way-out_id1791.aspx

Babymakes3
06-26-2010, 12:52 PM
The reason Martin + Osa has been having great sales is because they are going out of business.

http://www.just-style.com/the-just-style-blog/martinosa-on-the-way-out_id1791.aspx

Oh NOOOO! I love that store!

kozachka
06-27-2010, 04:39 AM
Have you tried DvF? I like her dresses and tops better than Nanette Lepore. Might be too boring for academia, but Brooks Brothers has excellent quality professional apparel. I shop their outlet sales for shirts, pants and skirts. If you are bored with your clothes, maybe it's time to invest in some killer bag/shoes/boots/accesories?

It's kind of difficult to suggest something without knowing what you already have. If I were you, I'd pull everything out of the closet, and make a list of what you have and like (fits you well and looks good) and what areas of your wardrobe could use some help. That way when you head to Nordstrom, you'd know that you have a great pair of black and gray pants, but could use a great white shirt. We have moved recently, and I realized that I don't have enough pants that fit me well, which made me sign up for the gym LOL.