PDA

View Full Version : S/O: Anyone not overly concerned about their dropside crib?

TonFirst
06-24-2010, 09:36 PM
So, our crib is on today's recall list. It's an iron crib from Child Craft Legacy. It was manufactured in 2003; we bought it new from a local specialty store for our son in mid-2004. Right now, our daughter uses it. It's never lost any parts and it's properly assembled. We tighten everything that needs tightening every few weeks (and it's only one screw that ever needs tightening) and when you shake it, it doesn't budge. All the plastic parts - there are only two - are in excellent condition. The crib rock-solid and, honestly, we're not hugely concerned about it's safety. Partly, perhaps, because our daughter will only be in it for a couple more months, and partly, I know, because we really don't see any reason to be concerned enough to throw the crib out.

Are we being blindly cavalier? We consider ourselves to be informed, conscientious consumers - but we also don't see any reason to be freaking out about our recalled crib. I'd love to have other insight on this issue.

ETA that if there were a repair kit, of course we'd get one and install it, but unfortunately the company that now owns Child Craft isn't issuing repair kits, only a $50 rebate for a new crib. When the original crib cost upwards of $500. What what?

ewpmsw
06-24-2010, 09:47 PM
ITA about not freaking out over recalled crib. I sent away for a repair kit and was given a stationary kit instead. Guess we'll use that for DD #2 when she comes. We're going to tighten up all the hardware and keep the dropside in the lower position until the baby is a few months old and more mobile. Then we'll install the stationary kit. Haven't had any problems with our dropside crib so far (2+ years) and the sides fit very snugly against the mattress.

I'm planning to keep an eye on things, but am not going to buy a new crib when the one we have is clearly working just fine. (The dropside hardware needs to be tightened so it will move more smoothly in the track.)

ett
06-24-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm not concerned. We have a Ragazzi crib (the original ones made in Canada) that has held up very well through 2 kids. There was some issues with some of the plastic pieces but after we replaced them with the newer pieces we have not had any problems at all. I'm just bummed that after we're done with it we won't be able to sell/donate/give away since it's a very nice crib.

AshleyAnn
06-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Mine is a childcraft dropside but not recalled (older metal hardward style) and I consider it as safe if not safer than any stationary crib I could afford at BRU. When I saw a childcraft crib was recalled I felt nervous it might include mine because I adore it and I've praised it as safe here so many time. I know there are some moms here who hate all dropsides and think we should destroy all of them but I strongly disagree.

Without seeing the crib myself and looking at the hardward in person I can't say I would trust a recalled crib. If I were considering it I would take the crib apart and inspect every plastic part.

mamicka
06-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Older Ragazzi that hasn't been recalled. We plan on using it for #4 & I'm not worried.

hopeful_mama
06-24-2010, 11:08 PM
My crib is dropside but not recalled. We are quite comfortable with using it, even if it were added to the list of recalled ones. We think most people are being overly reactionary, and I think part of the reason the companies are jumping on the bandwagon is to avoid liability, and partly for profit - not only don't they want to pay extra to make dropsides with metal parts, but they can increase their profits by switching - I've seen where they switch from selling a dropside crib to the same style but stationary - yet keep the same price.

Happy 2B mommy
06-24-2010, 11:22 PM
I have a dropside ChildCraft Legacy, but it's not on the recalled list. I'm more diligent about checking the rail of the crib now than I was before, but that's about it.

ShanaMama
06-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Older Ragazzi that hasn't been recalled. We plan on using it for #4 & I'm not worried.

I bought my beautiful Ragazzi right around the time they were going out of business/ changing ownership or whatever, so I got a good deal. It hasn't been recalled AFAIK. I thought I was the only one who wasn't getting overly concerned about the recalls. FWIW I don't use the drop side at all, not sure if that makes a difference. I will give it a shake though & make sure everything is tight. It's a very sturdy crib and I had no intention of replacing it.

Rainbows&Roses
06-24-2010, 11:56 PM
Well I was not concerned about our dropside till we put it together for our 2nd baby (6 years later) and the plastic pieces that hold the side up cracked.

We have a forever mine from 2003 and I don't even think that crib was recalled (they are out of business now). It is a nice, solid crib and we almost never used the dropside. The bed was used without the plastic pieces for a toddler bed for a few years and then was stored away with all pieces safely wrapped.

So I wouldn't take for granted that the plastic pieces can fail. If we had not been putting it together, we probably would not have seen these cracks while using the crib and the results could have been catastrophic.

infocrazy
06-25-2010, 12:19 AM
We have an older Simmons we got from SIL but it's not on the recall list. It has all metal parts and since DH and I are tall, we have never used the drop-side, and I have it facing the wall. It also is the kind that has the foot thing to drop the side. I am not concerned, but when we move the boys into their new room this fall, we'll probably put DS2 in a twin and turn his toddler bed (IKEA convertible) back into a crib for DD.

I emailed them to verify no recall and they sent me this (I was impressed since they responded within 2 hrs, although I wish better news):

Hello,

With today’s announcement by the CPSC dropside cribs no longer meet the safety standards. We are unable to supply the parts to any crib over 10 years old effective today. Your crib model was manufactured in 1997 and is over 10 years old. We will not have a fix or replacement parts for this crib.

If you have any questions on the recall or safety standards you can go to www.cpsc.gov.

In keeping with industry and regulatory safety standards – cribs manufactured before 2001 will not be furnished with the Immobilizer Retrofit kit.

Cribs older than 10 years old have surpassed their lifespan. The reason for this safety standard is to ensure the quality of the crib has not been compromised, the wood may have possible degradation or the crib could have possible or broken parts and no longer meets the current government safety standards.

If your crib was manufactured before 2001 – please discard the crib and do not use or try to repair it yourself.

Thank you,

Snow mom
06-25-2010, 08:27 AM
I also have an older Simmons crib (from when they were still manufactured in the US) and I really love it. I wish I had the toddler bed conversion for it. It sucks that they aren't willing to update cribs more than 10 years old. A nice, solid wood crib should really be designed to last longer than that. Even if that's the law, it seems like a law that was probably driven through by a manufacturing lobby. According to the Simmons website: "Delta cannot provide parts for cribs that do not comply with federal safety standards or for cribs that are more than 15 years old." Not sure why they told you 10 years.

doberbrat
06-25-2010, 08:37 AM
nope not too concerned. ours isnt on the recall list. the drop side is actually a bit of a pain b/c its soo tight but now that we've d ropped the mattress, I will be using the dropped side to put sleeping baby in if I'm ever attempting to put her into the crib while asleep. my back just cant handle leaning over that far w/20lbs in my arms.

maestramommy
06-25-2010, 08:44 AM
I don't know if our crib is on the recalled list; it's a Simmons. But it is a drop side crib, and that feature was getting pretty sketchy last year. It was having that problem described in the recall. When the gate was lowered, it would suddenly come off the rails, and I could totally see a baby getting trapped in that space. We still use the crib, but we don't use the feature. Every once in a while Dh tightens everything up. I don't know how much longer we'll use it though, because it's a sleigh, and even with the mattress on the lowest setting the rail only comes to Laurel's chest. The minute she starts trying to climb out, she's moving.

khalloc
06-25-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm not. I have a Pacific Rim maple Arts & Crafts crib. I paid like $750 for it from some online baby store in California. Its made by a small furniture company in Oregon or Washington St. They have a website online. Anyways, its very sturdy. It does have plastic hardware for the dropside though. But its very solid. That and my youngest is 2 and will be coming out of the crib in the next 9-12 months. I probably wont have any more babies, but if I did have 1 more, I would still use the crib for that baby too.

swissair81
06-25-2010, 09:06 AM
I had a drop side crib for dd1- it was a MDB that lasted me exactly 2.5 years. DD jumped on the side so much that the wood splintered & I had to throw it out. When I had dd2, my one criteria was stationary sides. I have a Childcraft Legacy from 2007 & if it didn't have teeth marks that totally ruined the stain on it, I would be perfectly happy.

soontobe
06-25-2010, 10:33 AM
what do you all mean by 'checking' and 'tightening' the crib?

sunshine873
06-25-2010, 10:59 AM
I have a drop-side and with the new recommendations the company (Delta) has issued an immobilizer set. I am ordering the set and will install it, but am not going to stop using the crib in the meantime. Everything seems to be in good shape for now, I think it will be fine until we get the hardware to fix it. So I guess I'm not overly concerned, but feel like it would be foolish for me to not use the immobilizer set now that it has been made available.

We have NEVER used the drop side anyway, so I won't miss it.