PDA

View Full Version : Simple freezer meals?

MomToOne
06-24-2010, 09:55 PM
I'd like to start trying some make-ahead/freezer meals. Does anyone have any good simple ones to share? I would be fine using a slow cooker for preparation. We stay away from really cheesy and really saucy dishes (I know that rules out a lot). Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

ETA: any good OAMC sites would be handy as well of course

WatchingThemGrow
06-24-2010, 10:00 PM
The OAMC Family Favorites book has made things very simple for me. You'd need to take a look at it yourself to see if the menu works for you, but we like it pretty well. I've done 4 of the "plans" so far. If there are some of the meals that wouldn't suit your family's taste, you could pass them along to another family. Seems like there's always a reason to provide a meal for someone else.

LadyPeter
06-28-2010, 01:45 PM
The "Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer" cookbooks have very simple and tasty recipes. Maybe you could check them out at the library and then buy if you like them?

happymom
06-28-2010, 04:17 PM
I find that ground beef freezes well. So...

Meatloaf freezes well- either raw or cooked. I have a yummy two-toned roll that I make and freeze (its a little annoying to assemble, but very pretty and makes 2 rolls= 2 dinners)

Hamburgers- I make them into patties and freeze them raw.

Meatballs- frozen in sauce

I remember someone posting recently that she sometimes browns a bunch of ground beef and freezes it. Then she pulls it out to make all different kinds of recipes.

thelilprincess
06-28-2010, 05:49 PM
i have 2 of the Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer books and "Fix, Freeze, Feast book. i did a one time trial of the Dream Dinners (Pecan Crusted Chicken) and like the concept - just didn't want to pay all up front for something i felt like i could try at home.

i did a few meals back in January - some chicken dishes and pork dishes. it worked out great for those evenings i worked late and DH was able to cook the meal before i got home.

i highly recommend looking at the books at the bookstore (i checked online for our libraries and they were all checked out) to see what books may have recipes you'd be interested in making. i then ordered thru amazon for the best prices.

some of the recipes aren't for me. i don't like the ones that require you to cook ahead and then freeze - i could do that with practically anything. there are a few recipes like this in the books.

you also can find some of the recipes online. though i don't know if they really should be available online (copyright)

anyhow, what i did was look up a couple chicken recipes and pork recipes....bought ingredients to make those items, and worked around that. i cut all the ingredients for all the recipes at the same time. then went to prepping. it did take me 2 days to do the shopping (get all supplies like ziploc bags, ingredients, etc) and then the next day i did the prepping of the food to freeze. i would think as i get use to this it should go faster. and i agree, it would be nice if you could get in with a friend on this and split up the food prep or do it together (the Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer book suggests this) but none of my friends who might be interested in doing this live nearby.