PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell my maternity clothes?

Octobermommy
06-24-2010, 11:21 PM
I can participate in a garage sale this weekend. I have 3 kids, the results of many years of infertility treatments, an adoption and a surprise. We already decided we are not going to adopt again and we are also not interested in doing infertility treatments again. We are not at a place right now that we would want another baby ( we have a 7 mo old high needs baby). After I gave birth my dh said not to give away my maternity clothes but he would say differently now. I don't know why but a part of me is totally done. The thought of another Baby is overwhelming but then again I think there might be one more baby out there to complete our family. If we do add to the family it would be in the next 2.5 yrs.

So should I sell or keep?

GonnaBeNana
06-25-2010, 12:05 AM
If storage space isn't an issue, and you're not 100% confident that you're done having kids, I'd hang onto them for now. They aren't worn that long, so should still be in good shape and styles don't seem to change much.

Beth

Octobermommy
06-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Bump.

I can't decide. Please help

infomama
06-25-2010, 02:30 PM
My dd's are 4 years apart. I *knew* I was having more than one so keeping my maternity clothes was a no brainer for me but if having more children were even a thought then keep them. Get some space bags and pack them up. Slip them under a bed if you can.

swissair81
06-25-2010, 02:34 PM
If space isn't an issue, I would keep them. Maternity clothes are expensive & you may feel differently when your baby is a little older.

fivi2
06-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Personally, I would only keep the basics or the things you really like. You may be pregnant in a different season, if you decide to add to you family. If you wait to long, some thing *will* go out of style and be harder to sell the longer you wait.

But I live in a small house with no storage!

lizzywednesday
06-25-2010, 02:39 PM
I loaned mine to my SIL who is expecting right now, even though we are different sizes (I am bigger & taller, so the 2 pair of jeans won't work for her, but the lighter-weight tops & 4 dresses might) to save her some cash (she & my brother are newlyweds) ... is something like a loan an option for you?

As long as you are clear that it's a loan, I don't see why it wouldn't be!

luckytwenty
06-25-2010, 03:08 PM
I kept mine, all of mine, and waited a long time in between kids. I say SELL THEM. Styles change. Stains surface years after the fact. I remember only packing away unstained clothes and pretty much everything pale in color has giant yellow stains from when I nursed before I was back in regular clothes.

FWIW, I had four friends lend me their maternity clothes this pregnancy. Between that and a few purchases that I needed around 8-12 weeks (regular clothes too tight/not showing yet), I haven't needed to spend much money.

KpbS
06-25-2010, 03:10 PM
I like the idea of just keeping the basics or a handful of your favorite pieces, favorite shirt, jeans, swimsuit, etc. My sister and I have passed ours back and forth. I ended up storing them b/c she has more limited space. Soon I will let her sell them in a mom to mom consignment sale.

elephantmeg
06-25-2010, 03:21 PM
keep your favorites, sell the rest!

eliasmom
06-25-2010, 03:22 PM
I say just keep your favorites. I received a bunch of hand-me-down maternity clothes from a little more than 10 yrs ago and, yes, styles have changed for some of the things, especially the pants!

MolieMuts
06-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Personally, I would only keep the basics or the things you really like. You may be pregnant in a different season, if you decide to add to you family. If you wait to long, some thing *will* go out of style and be harder to sell the longer you wait.

:yeahthat:

My two were 4.5 years apart and in totally different seasons.

I used mostly hand me downs both times and bought a few pieces that I really liked. I was so ready to get them out of the house when we knew that we weren't going to have anymore.

goldenpig
06-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Unless you have unlimited storage, keep only your favorites and sell or lend out the rest. If you lend though, you shouldn't necessarily expect them back. I lent most of my maternity clothes to my sister but when I got pregnant again, there were several items I didn't get back. I had to go searching through her closets/drawers (with her permission) but even then there were a couple that just vanished. They were on the expensive side (Japanese Weekend) so I didn't want to spend the money to replace them b/c I'm not sure we'll have another one. Cheaper stuff I would just get rid of now while you can.