PDA

View Full Version : CL Weirdness

ha98ed14
06-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Put up an ad
Interested person responded
She was supposed to come between 1:45 and 2:00
I emailed her my phone number and address and... she never showed up. But we had exchanged emails up until 1:00 when she said she would need to be leaving to beat traffic. I emailed at 4 pm and asked if she was still coming, but have not heard. It's now 8:30. I feel stupid for giving out my info and paranoid...

DrSally
06-24-2010, 11:35 PM
People flake like that. I wouldn't feel paraniod, just annoyed.

ha98ed14
06-24-2010, 11:37 PM
People flake like that. I wouldn't feel paraniod, just annoyed.

I swear her last message to me was that she would need to be leaving shortly and would arrive between 1:45 and 2. So sent her my info. I should have given her my phone number and told her to call me when she gets close. Or something. I dunno. It's weird to think she was on her way to my house and she just never made it...

mom2one
06-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Do not worry about it, that has happened to me many times. I have even emailed the next day to see if they changed their mind or something. Most never reply back. Sorry this happened to you.

sunnyside
06-24-2010, 11:57 PM
I went to meet someone at a park to buy a diaper bag and they didn't show up. I called several times, texted and then emailed several times when I came home and they never responded. Three days later they reposted the same ad. It was very odd. CL is full of flakes I guess.

graciebellesmomma
06-25-2010, 12:53 AM
I feel your pain.
We drove an hour today to meet someone at a mall with some night stands. I'd emailed back and forth with her for two days. She lives 4 minutes from the mall. We were going to be at the storage unit that's about 10 minutes before the mall, so it wasn't a huge deal, but we did have to load them into the truck....She said that she would meet us there at 2:30 pm.

She never showed up. Hasn't responded to any of my emails from this afternoon. Total arsehole.

In regards to giving out personal information, I only do it after I've spoken to the person on the phone and make sure that they know my husband will be home. I only let them come to my house if it's a very large item. I'm paranoid. I meet people in parking lots in busy areas.

vonfirmath
06-25-2010, 10:58 AM
I swear her last message to me was that she would need to be leaving shortly and would arrive between 1:45 and 2. So sent her my info. I should have given her my phone number and told her to call me when she gets close. Or something. I dunno. It's weird to think she was on her way to my house and she just never made it...

If I don't have an exact address, I don't go. My GPS does not handle "intersections" well. It's hard enough to go and meet someone at a store, etc. Too many times the person does not show up. Or we can not find each other. I am sorry she flaked at the last minute on you, but this will just get people not willing to go.

Ceepa
06-25-2010, 11:40 AM
That is weird. Luckily we haven't had anyone flake out and not show up but some of the responses have been memorable.

FWIW, don't feel bad about providing your information. There was no reason to think the person would just disappear.

swissair81
06-25-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm getting weirded out about posting on CL anyway. I am getting emails from people in cities I don't live in about posts I didn't put up, posts from people with links I am supposed to click on to see if that is what I am selling & people who respond to my ads simply to spam me. Someone even called me about a car that I never posted (on a phone number I don't give out) & told me he'd 'take me off the list' when I said I didn't know what he was talking about.

ha98ed14
06-25-2010, 12:48 PM
That is weird. Luckily we haven't had anyone flake out and not show up but some of the responses have been memorable.

FWIW, don't feel bad about providing your information. There was no reason to think the person would just disappear.

I feel mildly paranoid. The last message exchange was 1:00 pm almost exactly and I was expecting her 45 mins later. I think she might have changed her mind because she was driving from a bit of a distance. Honestly, I have no problem with her changing her mind. I have had "almost buyers" remorse myself. I sent this message this morning. Hopefully it doesn't make me look like too much of a psycho.

Dear Person'sName,

Could you confirm with me if you are still interested in the KidsItem? I understand if you changed your mind. You were coming from a
long distance. I'd like to respond to another person. I am also
getting a bit nervous because I gave you my address and phone number
and then I never heard from you. A simple, "Not interested, Thanks" is
all I need.

Thank you,

MyName

WDYT?

twowhat?
06-25-2010, 01:03 PM
I would just let it go. What I do is give out a phone number and approximate intersection and ask that they call me when they're on the way and then give my address over the phone.

What happened to you has happened to me before too (when I used to give out address over email after a string of communications to set up a time). I'm sure it was nothing, they just changed their minds and aren't considerate enough to tell you. Lots of people like that.

I do take comfort in the fact that we have 2 big dogs who look even bigger and go absolutely nuts whenever someone comes up to the house:)

ha98ed14
06-25-2010, 01:05 PM
I do take comfort in the fact that we have 2 big dogs who look even bigger and go absolutely nuts whenever someone comes up to the house:)

What kind of dogs? ;)

twowhat?
06-25-2010, 01:09 PM
What kind of dogs? ;)

Pure mutts!! It doesn't matter as long as they have those sharp white teeth:)

fattytuna
06-26-2010, 08:32 AM
i had someone not show up once. she did email me in a day or two. turned out one of her infant twins ended up in the ER.

is this a large, heavy item? usually if it's something i can lift and carry into the car myself, i always meet people at a public location - usually in front of our local library. just a suggestion for next time.

hellokitty
06-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Ugh, I'm sorry you got stood up. This is why I don't sell on CL. Too many ppl who don't have the courtesy to at least CANCEL if they change their mind or something comes up. DH has only posted once on CL, had a guy who was so interested, he spoke on the phone with him multiple times. DH drove 30 min to a rest area to meet the guy, waited for over an hr, the guy TOLD him he was on the way (two hrs away). I just don't get this mentality that it's ok to just blow ppl off like this. He had DH's cell phone #, so it's not like he couldn't contact him. DH was not too crushed over it, but I was kind of pissed that he could have been at home helping me out a bit, instead of wasting TWO hrs, plus gas all for nothing. I'm also paranoid about anyone coming to my house. I helped a friend with her yard sale a few yrs ago and soooo many weirdos showed up and some ppl wanted to see the inside of her house, use the bathroom, etc.. There are a lot of freaks out there. I mean, who does that? I would never go to a yard sale and have the balls to act like that, same with the CL thing, if I couldn't make it, I would at least let the seller know.