PDA

View Full Version : Do you return baby gifts?

boltfam
06-25-2010, 12:07 AM
I have gotten a TON of 0-3 month clothes this time around, especially dresses. They're all very cute but I think DD already has more than she can wear. My SIL also got DD a preemie outfit, and by the time she gave it to us, it was too small. I wouldn't feel bad about returning the preemie outfit, but is it rude to return a gift just because it's a size you have a lot of already?

ha98ed14
06-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Heck no! People love to buy the tiny clothes because they are so cute, but little babies grow so fast! Return it and buy what you need/ like. The gracious gift giver wants you to have something you will use. You know they are gracious if they included the gift receipt! :D

klwa
06-25-2010, 06:46 AM
RETURN THEM! Especially if you can return them & get the sam eor similar outfit in a larger size that you can actually get some use out of!

TwinFoxes
06-25-2010, 06:54 AM
RETURN THEM! Especially if you can return them & get the sam eor similar outfit in a larger size that you can actually get some use out of!
:yeahthat: I'm sure your friends would rather you return them, than have the clothes end up in a Goodwill bin NWT.

Melaine
06-25-2010, 07:02 AM
Don't feel bad about returning....I'd want my friend to return anything I bought for something preferable.

sunshine873
06-25-2010, 07:11 AM
People buy gifts because they're trying to help you out with something you can use. If you can't/won't use it, definitely return it!

I got so many clothes for DD at my shower, I returned a TON and then was able to buy the things that I needed (sheets, bath stuff, bottles, etc.)

SnuggleBuggles
06-25-2010, 07:38 AM
I would try and exchange it for the same item in a bigger size. Otherwise, maybe take a pic of baby in the outfits before returning them so the gift giver thinks you used them. I'm usually reluctant to return gifts but when they aren't practical b/c outgrown that is a different matter.

Beth

belovedgandp
06-25-2010, 09:02 AM
The first two times I was reluctant. But I also didn't receive that many extra items. With the first I didn't really know.

But my third was a girl after two boys. I had pink clothes coming out of my ears. I also knew myself and what I would and would not be using. So yes, for me the pile of blankets all went back, the clothes I didn't love went back.

swissair81
06-25-2010, 09:08 AM
if you exchange it, you are still using their gift. If you have to give it away because you didn't use it, they might as well not have bothered. If I was the gift giver, I'd feel worse the 2nd way.

fivi2
06-25-2010, 09:25 AM
It depends on the gift and the giver.

Random shower gifts of generic onesies or regular outfits I'd return in a heartbeat.

Special outfits from grandparents or (older) close family friends, I at least try to take a picture of the kids in them first. My mother and mil both buy a lot of dressy things that we really don't wear, but they absolutely expect to see a picture of the girls in the clothes.

creativelightbulb
06-25-2010, 09:26 AM
I vote for returning the items definitely...

i've had two showers in the last month and I've received sooo many tiny little outfits that I know DD won't wear since my mother is going to be caring for her in our home...

I've exchanged some for larger sizes - others for those "not so cute" items that people are less likely to buy...

I've kept some gift cards and not purchased anything right now because I expect I'll need them later...

MamaMolly
06-25-2010, 09:32 AM
On a very practical note my DD2 was out of 0-3 month size by 7 weeks. Yeah one and a half months and she was in size 3-6 months. You might have a chunker.

BabyH
06-25-2010, 09:45 AM
My mom gave us a couple of newborn sized outfits, even though our baby was estimated at 9 1/2 lbs (at 37 weeks - he was actually 8 1/2) and they were so cute, and she was so excited.... so we squeezed him in them, once, and even though he looked like a little sausage, she was SO pleased that we could use them :wink2: I gave them to a friend with a newborn like the next day.

kerridean
06-25-2010, 09:58 AM
On a very practical note my DD2 was out of 0-3 month size by 7 weeks. Yeah one and a half months and she was in size 3-6 months. You might have a chunker.

Shoot, my DD never wore 0-3 months clothes. She was too big for them at birth as she was almost 10 pounds. What a waste.

PearlsMom
06-25-2010, 03:38 PM
That's why I had registries, so people could buy me what I needed. If they knew about said registries and bought something else, it went right back to the store (gift receipt or no, if I could figure out where it came from). Didn't feel bad in the least.

The exception is family - mostly because they have good taste and so the random things they picked were still cute, but also because I actually care about making them happy, and will make sure to use (and take photos of) the outfits they sent.

HIU8
06-25-2010, 03:40 PM
I would return/exchange whatever you wanted to. I don't think it's rude or bad. I know people bought me a ton of the very little stuff for DS and for DD. I was running around for months exchanging for bigger sizes, different clothes for different seasons etc....

lizzywednesday
06-25-2010, 03:47 PM
We didn't find out what "flavor" baby for this reason! Of course, it left me with nothing for DD in warmer weather until I was cleared to drive, so I guess it kind of stunk. (But then I didn't have to deal with an onslaught of pink & frilly, which is NMS.)

I say exchange for the next size up so you can actually use some of it.

♥ms.pacman♥
06-25-2010, 04:00 PM
:yeahthat: I'm sure your friends would rather you return them, than have the clothes end up in a Goodwill bin NWT.

:yeahthat:

and my ds was only ~7 lbs at birth but grew out of 0-3 mo clothes faster than u could say jack robinson. we have a ton of clothes he never wore, and some he only wore once. lots of people sent us 0-6 mo clothes from Gymbo/Janie & Jack, and we ended up exchanging them for the same thing but for a larger size.

swissair81
06-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Shoot, my DD never wore 0-3 months clothes. She was too big for them at birth as she was almost 10 pounds. What a waste.

My biggest of 3 was 6 lbs 5 oz. We manage to make our way up the chain of preemie, newborn and 0-3. It's pretty funny.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
06-25-2010, 05:44 PM

:yeahthat:
If I return clothes for DD due to size, I try to get the same outfit.

ZeeBaby
06-25-2010, 06:47 PM
I agree with everyone else. If the gift giver had any idea how quickly baby would outgrow the item, they would have given something else. I always get the same outfit in a different size for the next year. It has worked great, but it is exhausting running from store to store lol.

boltfam
06-26-2010, 12:20 PM
I agree with everyone else. If the gift giver had any idea how quickly baby would outgrow the item, they would have given something else. I always get the same outfit in a different size for the next year. It has worked great, but it is exhausting running from store to store lol.

That's a great idea! I would buy the next size up but i"m not sure if DD will be in 3-6 m through the summer yet, and the outfit I'm thinking of is a sun dress. I'll see if they have a 12-18 one. Since it's a dress and my friend is from our church, I kind of feel like I need to keep it because she might be expecting to see DD in it.

As for the preemie sleeper, I don't know where SIL got it but do you think Kohls might take it? I feel like they have a lot of Carter's sleepers that maybe they carried it. Any other ideas?