PDA

View Full Version : What's the messiest room in your house?

TLC1994
06-25-2010, 10:13 AM
I was thinking about this today and I'm contemplating where to start with cleaning my house today. I generally start in the kitchen, move into the family room, then kid's rooms, bathroom and finally the master bedroom. Unfortunately I generally run out of steam by the time it's start the master bedroom, so THAT is my messiest room and I don't like that. It's also the last room that anyone would ever see, so it gets a lot of "overflow" items and extra stuff is stored in there. Maybe I'll START with the master bedroom today!

love_a_latte
06-25-2010, 10:17 AM
DSS's room wins hands down. Fifteen years old, what else do I have to say ;)

♥ms.pacman♥
06-25-2010, 10:20 AM
for us, probably the kitchen. it was never all that neat & clean to begin with, but now that DS has started solids (3x a day), it's a royal mess. i just called our cleaning lady bc it's just gotten pretty bad we need professional intervention here. lol

hillview
06-25-2010, 10:54 AM
It varies. Often the kitchen but it gets cleaned several times a day. I have a MESS of boxes in my "office" off the bedroom so that is the most annoying. I also have several closets that are messes so those would also be top of list.
/hillary

hellokitty
06-25-2010, 10:59 AM
I voted study, but actually it's the basement too. Our, "study" (which is actually supposed to be a living room, I want to put up french doors) is a dumping area for things I don't want the kids to get into, b/c there is a big baby gate blocking off the room. Our basement is also a big dumping area. I can't wait until the kids are older and I can actually put things away properly and take the time to declutter everything. I had planned to do a bunch of decluttering while I was pg with DS3, but that never happened, b/c I got hyperemesis again and was feeling like crud. He was lucky that I even set up his baby stuff.

wolverine2
06-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Definitely the master bedroom- where everything gets thrown when someone's coming over and the door closed. It's the only door that is closed most of the time. :)
I just started a major cleaning project (done w/ work for the summer) and I started in the basement, because I need to be able to put things down there from upstairs if I'm going to clean the bedroom... it looks fantastic now, hoping it's a chain reaction... 'cause no one but me sees the basement!

swissair81
06-25-2010, 11:11 AM
My guest room. It's right off the den & everyone dumps in there. It's terrible.

GonnaBeNana
06-25-2010, 11:17 AM
I can only choose one? My house is always messy and I get overwhelmed in where to start most of the time. I'd guess my kitchen though because my kids are all old enough to cook for themselves, but the clean up afterward seems to elude them.

Beth

lizzywednesday
06-25-2010, 11:26 AM
I am a total disaster, but I can't tell whether the bedroom's worse than the living room.

Of course our closets are all KINDS of messed up, but that's another b!tch for another day.

Meatball Mommie
06-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Our's is the playroom, BY FAR! The living room ties with the kitchen for 2nd place. It's mostly about toy messes in our house, but there's one kitchen space that tends to accumulate paper.

The boys' bedrooms don't have much in the way of toys in them, so the only mess is an unmade bed. Our bedroom stays neat because I HATE going to sleep at night with a mess around me. There might be a laundry basket of clean clothes to put away, but that's it.

Our laundry room is pretty messy too, but that wasn't a choice on your poll :)

wendibird22
06-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Probably the messiest is our bonus room/guest room/office. It's the dumping ground for paperwork and stuff we need to "put somewhere." We are never in that room other than to iron and the door is always closed so unless we expect company it's left a disaster.

SnuggleBuggles
06-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Master bedroom. I throw stuff in there and clean it out when I can't take it any more. It never, ever seems to stay clean. The only time it is officially clean is when the cleaner comes, at this rate. I pick up but don't dust and vacuum nearly as often as I should...takes too long to tame the clutter. It's pitiful. I keep the door closed when company comes.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
06-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Definitely the master bedroom- where everything gets thrown when someone's coming over and the door closed. It's the only door that is closed most of the time. :)
I just started a major cleaning project (done w/ work for the summer) and I started in the basement, because I need to be able to put things down there from upstairs if I'm going to clean the bedroom... it looks fantastic now, hoping it's a chain reaction... 'cause no one but me sees the basement!

LOL!! I could have written this!! I tackled my basement on Wed. when I had a babysitter and it feels wonderful to be done with it!

Beth

Moneypenny
06-25-2010, 12:19 PM
The guest room. That's where everything lives that doesn't have a home elsewhere. It's also where I store all the things I need to return to various stores.

elliput
06-25-2010, 01:12 PM
The Office/study because it is DH's computer room and I refuse to clean up after him. I've been tossing misc kid stuff in there lately because he hasn't fixed his computer and has been using my laptop at the dining room table for nine months.

sunshine873
06-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Where's the choice for the whole darned house? :bag

I really hate it, but just can't seem to find the time or energy to do anything about it. It's really time to start getting on board with Flylady.

Sweetum
06-25-2010, 02:00 PM
while I voted "family room" - that's where all the action is, for us - I was wishing you'd put up one that said "the entire house"!

BabyMine
06-25-2010, 02:06 PM
None. I finally cleaned the entire house.:boogie: The only part I haven't touched is the garage and that is this weekend.

citymama
06-25-2010, 02:38 PM
In our case, it's the living room, which is not one of the options listed. That's because we don't have a family room or den or study or guest room, so the LR serves all those purposes. Oh, and it's also where we store our earthquake emergency supplies, seriously. It's a mess. Can't wait till we live in a larger place - PLEASE can that happen this year?

WatchingThemGrow
06-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Master Bedroom and Mudroom are a tie. They both hold the "extra stuff" that doesn't have a home, like returns, gifts, outgrown clothes that need to go into the attic, surprise toys for a rainy day, yard sale finds that need to be processed, etc. We just need a bigger house.

belovedgandp
06-25-2010, 03:33 PM
The boys room. I can't stand clutter - the dirt builds up though. I've accepted that what they think is important is different than what I think is important, so I let it live there.

I shove things in my laundry room to get the out of sight, but it's not bad.

The basement is in chaos at this moment.

edurnemk
06-25-2010, 04:27 PM
I voted family room because by the end of the day it's the messiest. There's toys, crayons, work stuff, DH's coat, laptop case (our family room is a very big open space where we have a small table just off the kitchen, the actual family room, my desk, bookcases and a play area for DS), etc. I always pick everything up before bedtime, but it's the one that get's the messiest.

Our master bedroom would be second place, since DH will leave clothes and shoes all around and I refuse to pick anything of his up. But I decided not to allow toys or any other junk in our room, I want it to be my sanctuary, my space.

DH has been attempting to use the dining room (the formal one) when he brings work home, and I flat out forbade it. We've been through that before and he had a huge mess there, he just collects tons of paper and binders and is not at all organized.

I'm very obsessive about the look of our home, like I can't see a crooked picture on a wall or something without having the urge to straighten it.

Babymakes3
06-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Master Bedroom for sure! I have a daily fight with my closet and everything I discard for that day gets piled on a big chair. I'm still not back to my pre-pg weight so I have clothing for like 4 different sizes and theres just not enough room to store it all. It's the easiest room to just shut the door when someone comes over so it gets left til last for cleaning but honestly I don't even bother bc I know it won't last (great attitude i'm sure!).

My kitchen counters and table come in 2nd, they get cleaned very often but things just gravitate there!

ThreeofUs
06-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Kitchen/breakfast room is also the entrance to the house that we use and where we get our packages. Gets messy SO fast!

ladysoapmaker
06-25-2010, 06:21 PM
I voted the master Bedroom because everything gets dumped there and DH & I will clean it about every six months (ie we're tired of tripping over things).

But actually it's the Basement. Our sump pump died this spring and we moved everything that couldn't get wet up and out of the way but we haven't finished putting things back. I have a path to the utility room and the washer and dryer (for when the dryer had to be replaced) but everything else is boxes stacked up and I can't get to the books and the couch.

I don't know when we'll get to it. Probably this Sunday as we are having a party next Friday and if it's rainign the kids need a place to play.

Jen

WolfpackMom
06-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Since DS was born we have been sleeping upstairs in the guest room, so our downstairs master (hate, hate, hate that, why did we buy a house with that?) is a huge mess. Atleast the MASSIVE pile of clothes on the bed is clean right now, or atleast mostly clean?? There must be 3 loads of clean laundry on there and another 4 in hampers, on the floor, hanging over the dresser, etc etc. What a pain!

2nd place is the kitchen, I just can't keep up in there.

SammyeGail
06-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Since DS was born we have been sleeping upstairs in the guest room, so our downstairs master (hate, hate, hate that, why did we buy a house with that?) is a huge mess. Atleast the MASSIVE pile of clothes on the bed is clean right now, or atleast mostly clean?? There must be 3 loads of clean laundry on there and another 4 in hampers, on the floor, hanging over the dresser, etc etc. What a pain!

2nd place is the kitchen, I just can't keep up in there.

Us exactley!! You can't hear a thing upstairs from the master, except that part of the boys room is above it. Lots of hampers and plastic totes. I had kept my plastic totes in the walk-in attic area off the 3rd bedroom, but DH blocked that off putting our old queen set of matressess in there. Its a decent size, but the matressess where they are I can't maneuver at all in there.

I also would say kitchen is our second too.

Glad to know I'm not alone! I miss having a basement :(.

SnuggleBuggles
06-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Just wanted to say that this thread makes me feel much better. :)

Beth

Fairy
06-25-2010, 11:01 PM
My kitchen's a disaster. Every other room is doable (tho the guest bedroom is full of alot of DS's old stuff in big rubbermaids we have to get into storage), but the kitchen is the bane of my existence. I want Martha Stewart, but I can't seem to get any better than Roseanne.

deborah_r
06-26-2010, 12:58 AM
It would have to be the bathroom DH uses. The one the boys and I use I keep clean, but I hate to even step in DH's bathroom. I tried to clean it today but only got to the floor and the toilet. I can't convince him that wiping here and there every day or so would keep it from getting disgusting, and since I never go in there, I forget about it. Guests will NEVER be allowed to go back there, LOL!

bnme
06-26-2010, 07:06 AM
Hands down it's the master. We don't even have real furniture in there, just left-overs from our single days. It is embarrassing. There is one picture hanging on the wall and no decorating to speak of. I want to spruce it up but furniture is not in the budget right now so I keep waiting. I keep thinking that I'd hate to spend a couple hundred now decorating if we are just gona get furniture in a year our 2. But now we have been married 10 years. Oh, and then there are the piles of stuff, laundry baskets, shoes (don't have proper shoe storage so they are lined up under my dresser and spilling out), the 'sort of clean' clothes pile, bag of returns, and very noticeable dust-bunnies since I have a light-haired dog and dark wood floors.

fattytuna
06-26-2010, 07:36 AM
where do i check "all of the above"?

they are equally messy. my kids take over the whole house. every room is like a playroom to them.

JTsMom
06-26-2010, 07:48 AM
It varies here. I do switch around which rooms I start with, so everything does eventually get cleaned- it's just rarely all clean at the same time.

The play room gets totally trashed on a regular basis. My craft room, when it gets messy, gets extremely messy, and is a lot of work to clean. The kitchen gets trashed regularly, but also gets cleaned multiple times a day. The office frequently looks cluttered with paper, but there's not much in there, so it's not super bad. I detest cleaning bathrooms, so they're often neglected- not disgusting, just not pristine.

wimama
06-26-2010, 10:54 AM
The office by far.

Any other room can be straightened up fairly quickly. In the office I can spend hours going through papers and it looks like I haven't made any progress.

shawnandangel
06-26-2010, 02:11 PM
The family room is usually littered with DD's toys, dinnerware, Wii remotes, the laptop, and any crazy project I'm working on so it tends to be the messiest.

nupe
06-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Laundry room!

SammyeGail
06-26-2010, 10:37 PM
It varies here. I do switch around which rooms I start with, so everything does eventually get cleaned- it's just rarely all clean at the same time.

The play room gets totally trashed on a regular basis. My craft room, when it gets messy, gets extremely messy, and is a lot of work to clean. The kitchen gets trashed regularly, but also gets cleaned multiple times a day. The office frequently looks cluttered with paper, but there's not much in there, so it's not super bad. I detest cleaning bathrooms, so they're often neglected- not disgusting, just not pristine.

A play room, a craft room and an office? If I all those in addition they would be a mess too! :hysterical:

Well, in the first house I grew up in (house fire when I was 12) it was a duplex my dad made into a single home so all 5 kids had our own room. After my 2 oldest sister moved out I did get a 8 X 9 playroom, it was always 1/2 a mess, the other dedicated to my Barbie things. The other sis's room my mother made into her laundry/craft room. It was very cluttered, lol.

I still miss our 1200 sq foot daylight basement.

LexyLou
06-26-2010, 10:50 PM
The playroom for sure. I just looked in there, shook my head, and shut the door.

I just can't even begin to clean in there. It makes me mental thinking about it.

I guess our master would be second but honestly, I clean it every day so that even if our kids bring everything in to play with, it's back in their rooms by days end.