PDA

View Full Version : At what age do you stop buying "cute" clothes for DS's?

kep
06-25-2010, 11:00 AM
I am debating buying more Gymboree undies in a larger size, similar to these ones:

http://s7ondemand1.scene7.com/is/image/Gymboree/140065033?$PRODMAIN$

DS1 just turned 7. At what age do you switch to more generic undies, such as from Target?

icunurse
06-25-2010, 11:09 AM
DS will be entering 1st grade in the Fall and this is the first time I have been wondering if it is okay to send him to school with dinosaurs or trucks on his shirts (which Carter's and Gymboree still sell). I am thinking no and trying to stay away from too cutesy. However, I did just buy underwear from Carter's with trucks on them (3pk, other 2 are solid) and I don't think the ones you posted look too babyish or anything. Besides, how many people are going to see them? :)

hillview
06-25-2010, 11:12 AM
At age 5 I am not getting shirts that are cute but am getting more dinos and cars. Those unders look fine to me (they are cool).
/hillary

mom2binsd
06-25-2010, 11:12 AM
I would just ask him.

I buy DS the boxer briefs by Hanes, he has a pair of briefs from Gymboree but he finds them too thick and likes the ones that "go down my legs"...the Hanes ones have really held up well so far and fit my skinny DS.

GonnaBeNana
06-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Once they started 1st grade I switched to regular "whitey tighties" as they call them now. A big factor for us was that we were living in England and the kids had to change from their school uniforms to their "exercise" clothing for PE each day. They did this in their classrooms! My son was mortified as there were girls in there too! He was finally allowed to go to the restroom to change, but I made sure he had on just plain undies anyway.

Beth

deborah_r
06-25-2010, 11:18 AM
For underwear I'm not sure, to be honest. I don't know how much the kids pay attention to that (such as in the restroom, especially for boys, I know they probably do see eachother's underwear on occasion). I've been sending DS1 in Spiderman, Shrek, and some of those same kind you showed from Gymboree. For regular clothes, I stopped buying "cute" tops probably at the beginning of Kindergarten, but since they have a uniform policy that just kind of happened. Also he would let me know if something looked "baby" to him. He schooled me the day I tried to send him to Kinder with Gymboree gorilla socks!

Gymboree does have a few plain ones on their page now, and we own some of those and I like them.

But I just don't know about the underwear. I'm just not sure that having skateboards or something like that on your underwear is going to get you picked on...maybe just not a big deal. I'll try to get info out of DS!

luckytwenty
06-25-2010, 11:45 AM
As soon as he could read, my son came up to me and said, "I only like the underwear called 'Hans.'" (Hanes). I think he was around 5. :-)

I stopped buying really cute things pretty early--maybe age 3. Boys can be so rough on their clothes that it didn't seem worth it to splurge on nice clothes. His grandma buys him Polo shirts, etc. for dressier occasions...that's really all we need.

kijip
06-25-2010, 11:58 AM
I let T pick his own clothes when we are shopping. He wears the solid colored underwear from Hanna the most, he does not like the exposed elastic bands on regular boys underwear much. He usually picks plain pants and some sort of shirt with 2 or more colors to it. He likes stripes, ringer ts where there is a contrast color on the arm and neck bands etc, bright colored plaids. The only shirts with designs are ones from camp or baseball.

I figure that after 4 or 5 it's best to get them involved in picking out pretty much all of their clothes before they come home. Boys or girls. Because then they are the most comfortable.

frgsnlzrds
06-25-2010, 01:43 PM
I'd ask him. D reached the age where I *thought* he was past the age of patterned socks. Just this past Christmas, he told me how upset he was that E gets really cool socks and his are all just plain white.

On the other hand, he is very picky about what kind of jeans he wears. Because other kids need to think he's cool. So I ask.

MelissaTC
06-25-2010, 01:55 PM
M is 8 and Gymbo boxer briefs are his favorite. He loves all the patterns, etc.. and I know he would love those underwear...as a boxer brief, of course!

He is not interested in looking like a teenager so he still wears clothes similar to what he has worn the past couple of years. I shop for him at Kohls, Crazy 8's, Gymbo, Old Navy. He does wear a uniform to school so we have less everyday clothing.

MichelleRC
06-25-2010, 03:33 PM
My 7.5 yo would wear those, most of his underwear are either from Gymboree or Gap. He likes the patterns.

belovedgandp
06-25-2010, 03:40 PM
When younger brother potty trained and acquired all of older brother's underwear, I took DS1 with me shopping. We were at Target and I told him he could pick whatever he wanted. He went with solid and striped Hanes briefs. He was just over 6. It made me kind of sad.

The cute clothes as in outfits went out the window about 3. They started dressing themselves in whatever combination they wanted and I just let it go. Prior to that I was a person who had "outfits" - the same shirt with the same shorts kind of thing. Then I accepted defeat and the wardrobe is denim, navy, gray, and khaki shorts and pants with random collection of t-shirts.