PDA

View Full Version : What's your nursing set-up?

sweet_pea
06-25-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm wondering where you usually nurse and what your set-up is. Specifically, I'm interested in ideas for an older baby (DD's one). DD was sleeping in our bedroom for awhile, so I got used to nursing her on our bed because it was the most convenient, especially at night. I tried a rocking chair with a cushion but DD hates having her feet touch anything when nursing, so I quickly gave up that idea. When we moved her to her own room, it wasn't a nursery set-up because we were living in a family member's house and things were already set up. So again, I would nurse her on the bed that was in the room. In both rooms, I had a night table by the bed with nursing pads and burp cloths to prevent me from spraying milk all over the baby, myself, and the bed.

Now DD finally has a room that we're setting up as a nursery and I'm wondering where I should nurse her. She's a year old but still wakes up at night to nurse and I'm tired of having to carry her over to our bedroom and our bed. It seems like gliders are popular. Or should I get an armchair for her room? But then, I don't know how that will work, with her being so big already and the thing about hating her feet touching anything (she just kicks when they do). Also, I'm not sure I want to invest in anything pricey because we hope to slowly get ready to start weaning. And where do you keep your nursing "supplies?"

Any ideas? TIA!

alexmommy
06-25-2010, 12:27 PM
My DS is a 13 mo and still nursing. We have a glider in his room. I don't use nursing supplies anymore, but in the early days I upended an empty diaper box (too cheap to buy a table) and put stuff on that. Worked very well, and we always had empty diaper boxes...

DS is getting big for the glider but doesn't kick. If a glider won't work for you, do you have room for a smallish love seat, perhaps one that would match your living room or family room decor after you are done nursing? What about a futon? (Though that may not be as comfortable.) As for nursing supplies, could you allocate a shelf in the closet? I'd suggest a side table, but am assuming your DC would be able to access it. Good luck!

Katigre
06-25-2010, 01:00 PM
I never had a set nursing station - I nurse wherever we happen to be in the house (or out of the house).

At night I nurse her in our bed because we cosleep (and part of the time she sleeps in a side-carred crib next to DS). During the day i nurse her while she's sitting or standing - rarely do I nurse her in the cradle position like I did when she was a younger baby. I find the sitting straddled position the most comfortable in whatever chair I'm on.

I'm unsure what you're referring to by 'nursing supplies'. I needed burp rags the first few months but that was my only supply...

SnuggleBuggles
06-25-2010, 01:48 PM
I never had a set nursing station - I nurse wherever we happen to be in the house (or out of the house).

At night I nurse her in our bed because we cosleep (and part of the time she sleeps in a side-carred crib next to DS). During the day i nurse her while she's sitting or standing - rarely do I nurse her in the cradle position like I did when she was a younger baby. I find the sitting straddled position the most comfortable in whatever chair I'm on.

I'm unsure what you're referring to by 'nursing supplies'. I needed burp rags the first few months but that was my only supply...

:yeahthat: except I didn't co-sleep. I did, however, have dh go into get them and bring them back to me to nurse. When we just had ds1 I also made dh take him back too but with ds2 I opted to not wake dh up for the return. I thought it was only fair to spread the 'joy" of middle of the night wake ups. I much prefer to nurse at night in bed because i can doze. I never had any desire to nurse in a glider or any other upright position.

If your nursery has space, you could get a bed now for your little one in the future and just use that area for cuddles and nursing. Otherwise, start delegating the trips to dh and you focus on the nursing.

Beth

swissair81
06-25-2010, 01:50 PM
I didn't have a nursing set up. It was kind of a whatever, whenever, however proposition. At night, I solely nurse in bed.

Moneypenny
06-25-2010, 02:28 PM
For nearly 3 years DD and I nursed the same way every time- in the rocking chair in her room in the cradle position. As she got older she just stuck her legs between the armrest and the seat. I had a little wooden cart with fabric bins next to the chair that held burp cloths, nursing pads and lansinoh cream, but once I didn't need those things it held toys. She now uses it as her nightstand next to her bed and she keeps her tiny little toys and junk in there.

citymama
06-25-2010, 02:34 PM
I mostly nurse DD2 in my bed with a pillow propped up behind me. She sleeps in our room, usually in our bed although we have a co-sleeper set up that gets very little use. Our glider is in DD1's room, and I only use that when I am nursing DD2 in her big sister's room for some reason. Otherwise, I just nurse wherever I am. (Like yesterday, in the fitting rooms at Target. ;))