PDA

View Full Version : S/O: Would you let your kid swim in the gulf right now?

firsttimemama
06-25-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm just curious - would you let your kid swim in the gulf right now (Gulf of FL, let's say.. Destin-type area..)? The beaches are still open. Some tarballs have been found & cleaned up.

Wife_and_mommy
06-25-2010, 12:32 PM
My answer is a big no.

edited

Rainbows&Roses
06-25-2010, 01:06 PM
No way. The dispersants scare me more than the oil. I really wish the government had told them to stop using them.

carolinamama
06-25-2010, 01:13 PM
My answer is no and it makes me so sad. Growing up we always went to the Gulf side - Sanibel, Ft. Myers, Captiva area. I have such fond memories of the great beaches and would love my kids to experience that area too. But at this point, no way.

fivi2
06-25-2010, 01:21 PM
I would not in the FL/AL areas, but I have not heard whether the TX coast is affected. I had at one point heard that because of currents etc, that TX may not have as many issues, but I have not followed up on it. So depending on that, TX and probably Mexico are maybes.

daisymommy
06-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Heck no! As much for the oil as the disspersants.

maestramommy
06-25-2010, 01:35 PM
Forget it. *I* wouldn't even swim in it.

infomama
06-25-2010, 02:28 PM
No way, no how. Breaks my heart.

BabyMine
06-25-2010, 02:54 PM
We went swimming at Egmont Key over the weekend. I am hoping it doesn't come towards Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater.

KpbS
06-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Only if it was an area where the oil truly hadn't reached yet. We were scheduled to go to our favorite spot where they have recently reopened the beach to swimming but spoke to our realty company to find out that there is still oil in the water there. So sad, so disappointing. I can't imagine what the future holds :(

maylips
06-25-2010, 03:36 PM
No, and it kills me to watch the Youtube videos of families out on the beach with their kids in the water and OIL STICKING TO THEIR SKIN. What are they thinking????

I get that you put a deposit down on your vacation but really?

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
06-25-2010, 04:03 PM
No way. The dispersants scare me more than the oil. I really wish the government had told them to stop using them.

:yeahthat:

sunshine873
06-25-2010, 04:08 PM
No, and it kills me to watch the Youtube videos of families out on the beach with their kids in the water and OIL STICKING TO THEIR SKIN. What are they thinking????

I get that you put a deposit down on your vacation but really?

OK, I said I would swim in the Gulf, but definitely not in this circumstance. That's gross, crazy and dangerous. Only in the areas where the oil hasn't come anywhere close yet. Unfortunately this means Northwest Florida, which is one of my favorite places in the world, would be out. :( It makes me so mad!