PDA

View Full Version : Do you use your own nighgown/robe at the hospital?

moonsky
06-25-2010, 03:12 PM
It is easier to use the ones hospital provided, i.e, gown, disposable underwears, etc. So, there will be no stain on your own cloth. However, the hospital gown doesn't look good on the picture. What else do you pack?

newg
06-25-2010, 03:15 PM
I packed my own robe for DD and I plan on doing it again for this one. I wore the hospital gown because it was easy to nurse it, and I didn't have to worry about getting it messed up. This time I am also packing some nursing tank tops. I still plan on wearing the gown because I'm having a c-section, but I think I'll feel more like myself with the nursing tank on too.

luckytwenty
06-25-2010, 03:17 PM
I packed something, but don't remember being uncomfortable in the hospital gown.

swissair81
06-25-2010, 03:20 PM
I'm planning on bringing my own pjs. I think I'll wear a gown during labor though. I might also use their mesh underwear.

PearlsMom
06-25-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm planning to wear the hospital gowns during labor (don't want to deal with the ick on my own stuff!) and bring a couple of nursing nightgowns and nursing tanks for afterwards/photos. But down here they keep you in the hospital a bit longer than in the U.S., which is why I feel the need to bring my own wardrobe.

BTW, Motherhood and GAP sell super cute nursing PJs that have matching gowns for babies and would be super precious for photos!

moonsky
06-25-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm planning on bringing my own pjs. I think I'll wear a gown during labor though. I might also use their mesh underwear.

Are there any health benefits in using the mesh underwear, i.e, healing better, better circulation? This time, I am planning to use belly binder right after the delivery. So, using my own underwear may make it less messy. I found the mesh underwear is very loose and the pad move around. Also, does it help to use the ice pack down there for the first 24 hours.

swissair81
06-25-2010, 03:50 PM
No health benefits, I just don't have to bring 40 pairs of underwear to the hospital (to change into when I bleed all over what I'm wearing.) I love the ice packs after delivery. In the hospital I worked in, we used to open up newborn diapers & stuff ice in the back & tape it up. It's amazing.

BabyBearsMom
06-25-2010, 03:52 PM
I brought my own PJs but never touched them. It was so much easier to nurse in the hospital gown. As for pictures, sure I'm in the gown, but at that point in time, I wasn't really concerned with how I looked in pictures. I was too busy staring at DD!

lizzywednesday
06-25-2010, 03:56 PM
I changed into my own clothes as soon as they allowed me to shower, which was the day following my 9:37pm C-section.

The hospital gowns were pink, floral print; I despise pink an avoid floral prints if I can.

I bought PJs & slippers on clearance from Target especially for use in the hospital, as well as new undies, so I wouldn't feel badly if anything got messy. (It didn't; I was lucky.)

Although they did give me a very nice velour-terrycloth robe, which I like very much even though it's pink.

swissair81
06-25-2010, 03:58 PM
I hate pink clothes. I never buy them if I can avoid them.

moonsky
06-25-2010, 04:00 PM
I changed into my own clothes as soon as they allowed me to shower, which was the day following my 9:37pm C-section.

The hospital gowns were pink, floral print; I despise pink an avoid floral prints if I can.

I bought PJs & slippers on clearance from Target especially for use in the hospital, as well as new undies, so I wouldn't feel badly if anything got messy. (It didn't; I was lucky.)

Although they did give me a very nice velour-terrycloth robe, which I like very much even though it's pink.

You got nice hospital gowns. Mine were white with hospital names all over.

lizzywednesday
06-25-2010, 04:06 PM
You got nice hospital gowns. Mine were white with hospital names all over.

No, these were old lady housedress floral patterns & made my DH laugh. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to tell him to shove it.

(I brought flamingo print Nick & Nora PJs from Target to change into with kitty-cat slippers. The slippers were a huge hit with the nurses & midwives.)

YouAreTheFocus
06-25-2010, 04:20 PM
I brought my own nightgown. I am extremely uncomfortable in the hospital gowns. I really had to put my foot down to have the nurse let me wear it from the beginning. I'm glad I didn't give in, little things like that can make a huge difference in your state of mind in these situations! Btw, mine was black with a super-stretchy elastic neckline. Looks good in the pics, too :)

Myira
06-25-2010, 04:33 PM
The mesh undies from the hospital are one-size and were too big for my petite self and I never felt the pad stayed in place. Also, the ice-pack with the newborn diapers was a nice idea, but the ice cubes hurt me down there what with my tear and all. Isn't there any other softer alternative?

HonoluluMom
06-25-2010, 05:06 PM
I didn't bring my own nightgown/robe. I figured it was just one more thing I didn't want to have to bother with. Anyway, after sustaining pretty severe tearing, I didn't care what I looked like!

ewpmsw
06-25-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm planning to labor in the hospital's gown again, but am bringing my own robe and nursing tanks to wear afterward. The mesh undies were too loose (and I am NOT petite or slender), but I'll probably use them again, too.

The ice packs were very helpful, in and out of the hospital.

SnuggleBuggles
06-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Ds1 was a hospital birth and I just wore their stuff after the birth. During the birth I was in a tank top and undies a lot with my dark colored robe over top if wandering the halls. I did wear some of the hospital stuff too. I think I changed clothes a bunch b/c I was in and out of the water. After the birth I stayed in the gown till the end (we had no visitors as we were not there long at all). I wish I had changed into my real clothes sooner.

Ds2 was a birth center birth and I wore the above as they didn't provide gowns. I showered and changed quickly following the birth and felt wonderful.

With ds1 I did love the mesh undies!

eta- didn't matter what I wore during labor, I dislike looking at those pictures. The after ones...my eyes go right to the tiny baby. :)

Beth

salsah
06-25-2010, 06:23 PM
i took my own. it was just more comfortable for me and i felt better not wearing a hospital gown (just psychologically).
i did wear the hospital panties because they worked so well for those huge pads and they did not irritate my incision.
i bought a nursing nightgown which made nursing so much easier. it wasn't the kind of thing that i would typically wear, but for those early days while trying to establish nursing, having lactation consultants and nurses handling my boobs, having visitors in and out . . . it just worked well.
i also brought a robe, a sleep nursing bra, and wide slippers (my feet were huge after the delivery).

fortato
06-25-2010, 06:54 PM
I refused to wear those horrible johnnies that had the nursing/peek-a-boo slits in the front, so I wore the other johnnies.
I did pack a couple of night gowns, but I was bleeding so much that I didn't want to ruin them.

I did pack some of my rattiest maternity underwear, because I did NOT want to wear the delightful mesh undies they provided.... once you get the post partum pads with the full adhesive, those undies become useless. (However... my hospital had new disposable boy shorts that I swiped. Not sure why.)

Luckymommy657
06-25-2010, 07:48 PM
I brought my own as well. My mom still has the robes that she was wearing when she gave birth to my sister, brother and I and I remember thinking that they were so cool when I was younger. I want my kids to be able to have the same kind of thing!

swrc00
06-25-2010, 08:47 PM
I wore the hospital gown and underwear and I would do it again. I was such a heavy bleeder, I would have ruined everything I brought.

BeccaB.
06-25-2010, 09:52 PM

:yeahthat:

AnnieW625
06-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Robe yes, but honestly both times I was in the hospital I stayed in my hospital gown most of the time, it was just easier. I didn't need to be pretty for anyone. I did bring my own underwear to wear starting when each kid was a few hours old (and I could ditch those horrible mesh ones you get). I also brought my Ugg slippers.

egoldber
06-27-2010, 02:33 PM

I didn't with my oldest and I HATED being in that gown. I could never get comfortable.

With younger DD, as soon as they took out my catheter, I put on my own clothes. I HATE hospital clothes. It made me feel less like a patient and I think it makes a difference in how they treat you.

I just wore tees/tanks and yoga pants. But I was going down to the NICU 24/7 and walking the halls as soon as I could.

lizzywednesday
06-27-2010, 04:56 PM

I didn't with my oldest and I HATED being in that gown. I could never get comfortable.

With younger DD, as soon as they took out my catheter, I put on my own clothes. I HATE hospital clothes. It made me feel less like a patient and I think it makes a difference in how they treat you.

I just wore tees/tanks and yoga pants. But I was going down to the NICU 24/7 and walking the halls as soon as I could.

Me too. DD was in the ICU for our entire stay in the hospital, so I was up & down the hall visiting with her every day I was there. Being in my own clothes made me feel a LOT more human.

I think I'd bring my own stuff again for the next one, too.

salsah
06-27-2010, 06:32 PM
I just wore tees/tanks and yoga pants.

i know a lot of other posters (in other threads) have mentioned wearing yoga pants instead of a night gown, even after a c-section, so i have to ask about it. i just don't get it. i suppose if they are high rise (over the belly maternity yoga pants) they might not irritate the incision, but with the nurses frequently checking on the bleeding and changing pads, isn't it harder in pants than a nightgown? not to mention that lifting your hips to pull them down every time must be painful after a c-section. is it not as bad as i'm imagining? or do you not wear them in bed and only put them on when you get out of bed? again, not fun after a c-section.

egoldber
06-27-2010, 09:27 PM
I actually preferred the support of yoga pants after my c-sections. Not tight, but snug, and they made me feel more "held in". There was no issue at all with the nurses checking my incision. I hated the extra fabric of the gowns, I always felt like I had to adjust them, I was sitting on them, the fabric was getting all bunched up, etc.

I'm sure it's a personal preference thing, but for me it was easier. Some of the nurses were surprised to walk in and see me in clothes, but it was just easier for me.

lizzywednesday
06-28-2010, 08:21 AM
I was wearing my full-panel maternity jeans after my C-section. Again, the nurses seemed surprised that I was in my own things as quickly as I was, but I was SO uncomfortable in the hospital stuff that I desperately needed to have my own things. If I'd had yoga pants, I'd have worn those, too!

The incision checks were easy (just flip the panel down) and nobody checked my bleeding but me.

I even stopped using the hospital pads after the 1st day ... I brought my own supply of Always Infinity and they held up just fine.

salsah
06-28-2010, 09:54 AM
I actually preferred the support of yoga pants after my c-sections. Not tight, but snug, and they made me feel more "held in". There was no issue at all with the nurses checking my incision. I hated the extra fabric of the gowns, I always felt like I had to adjust them, I was sitting on them, the fabric was getting all bunched up, etc.

I'm sure it's a personal preference thing, but for me it was easier. Some of the nurses were surprised to walk in and see me in clothes, but it was just easier for me.

i hate gowns too and never wear them except i did in the hospital because it didn't occur to me that pants could work just as easily. i don't think i know anyone irl who wore pants. iirc, my friends all wore the hospital gowns. i figured, if i have to wear a gown, i'm bringing my own.

egoldber
06-28-2010, 10:09 AM
I think a lot of people just assume you "have" to wear their clothes, KWIM? It certainly never occured to me with my first. For me, it's just another way that hospitals make me uncomfortable. I loathe hospitals and being in the hospital. I am a terrible patient. Nurses hate me. :o