PDA

View Full Version : Quick: at 2.5 yo would you cut a nap short?

edurnemk
06-25-2010, 03:28 PM
DS is 2.5 yo, we ran a lot of errands this morning and his scheduled got a little crazy. He normaly naps 12-2pm, today he has swimming class at 3 pm. He finally went down for a nap at almost 2 pm (after and hour-long tantrum like I'd never seen). Should I wake him up for his class or let him sleep?

I've always stuck to the "never wake a sleeping baby" philosophy, but at 2.5 yo is that still valid? I usually plan my activities around his naptimes, but when he doesn't nap at the usual time like today, my whole day is thrown off balance.

BTW, it's not a group class, the teacher would be waiting just for him. I feel kind of bad with the idea of standing her up.

Krisrich
06-25-2010, 03:31 PM
This seems like a unique situation for you guys. I would just go ahead and wake him. Hopefully, he will get at least a 45 minute nap? You'll probably have to put him to bed a little earlier tonight. good luck!

maylips
06-25-2010, 03:32 PM
DD is 3 and I've found that if I have to wake her up, I'm ALWAYS really sorry later. Even if she's okay when I wake her, she usually isn't much fun with whatever activity I've woken her for, IYKWIM.

I guess it depends on the personality - DS is only 10 months, but I can already tell he's laid back enough to handle being flexible. DD is not - she's all schedule, baby. So I'd go by the personality of your child.

belovedgandp
06-25-2010, 03:48 PM
I'd wake, but I had to wake my second up almost every single day of school to pick up his brother from 2 years to 2 years 10 months.

It also gets dangerous to sleep too late because it almost always continues the messed up routine so they don't go to sleep that night.

Tondi G
06-25-2010, 03:58 PM
I would wake my kiddo!

goldenpig
06-25-2010, 04:14 PM
It also gets dangerous to sleep too late because it almost always continues the messed up routine so they don't go to sleep that night.

:yeahthat:

We have that problem. If DD resists her nap or doesn't fall asleep right away then sometimes she sleeps from 3-5 or later and then she ends up going to bed at 9 or 10 instead of 8 pm!

edurnemk
06-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Well I tried to wake him up, and he refused... oh well. He just curled up again and said "no, no, mommy". I asked if he wanted to go swimming and he said no and rolled over and went back to sleep, and he loves swimming class so I guess he's exhausted.

I went downstairs to talk to the swimming instructor, the class is in the covered pool of our building. She teaches several kids in the building, and had someone before and 2 other kids after our time slot, so at least it's not like she came all the way here just for us. She was very cool about it, she knows with toddlers it's like that. So, I'm letting him sleep a little longer, 45 minutes is just not enough for him.

ETA: also if I insisted on him going downstairs for his class, he wouldn't have enjoyed it, and would porbably be sleepy the entire time. Since it's and activity that requires action on his part, I decided not to push him.