PDA

View Full Version : Techniques to stop biting?

DietCokeLover
06-25-2010, 04:25 PM
DS bites his sister almost daily! He is 2.5. I've tried talking, time out, and even heiney swats. He doesn't bite anyone else. Help! How do I stop this?

tiapam
06-25-2010, 04:41 PM
I would be careful about giving too much attention to biting. It can create a vicious cycle. So the other half of my advice is patience. Sorry, I know this isn't the most helpful advice as it does not give you much to actually "do". But I often find that problem behaviors resolve themselves more quickly when I don't focus on them.

hillview
06-25-2010, 06:58 PM
DS1 used to do this. I had to watch like a hawk. Things would escalate and I could remove him before it got out of hand/bite etc
/hillary

sewarsh
06-26-2010, 11:50 PM
So, i posted something about biting a week or two ago and got no posts. Then I bumped it and got a few more posts.

Today I noticed you and another poster with biting issues, but neither have gotten that many responses.

I find it hard to believe that there are only a couple of us with these issues!!

At the suggestion of another posted, we went to B&N today adn got some books (teeth are not for biting and hands are not for hitting). they got great revewis on amazon too.

We're also doing timeouts and making him say sorry, hug and kiss. i don't know how effective it is, but it definately only happens when he's tired and frustrated and typcially just me although he bit his sister 2x this week.

aaah!!

hillview
06-27-2010, 10:22 AM
So at age 2.5 biting is out of frustration/unable to verbalize frustration, I think. So need to stop the frustration before it gets out of hand so watching them closely when together -- and if something is getting frustrating then jump in immediately and use words to help DC1 express their feelings "you are upset DC2 took your lego -- you say NO DC2 you cannot have my lego and then ask mama for help, mama help me CD2 wants my lego" you have to break the cycle. It takes some hands on intervention. You may want to limit unsupervised time of DC together.
/hillary