PDA

View Full Version : Baby Dropped - 2nd Pregnancy - how long?

wellyes
06-26-2010, 10:32 AM
I know the baby dropping can mean anything from "labor starts today" to "you have a month to go" - but - I definitely dropped today and am wondering what others have experienced, particularly for a 2nd baby.

I think with DD I dropped 10 days before but I've heard the timeframe is shorter for later pregnancies. That would be nice.

luckytwenty
06-26-2010, 11:05 AM
My belly didn't drop till after my water broke w/ the first one, and with the second, I started having every 5 min contractions while still being pretty high up. Sorry, I'm no help!

When is your due date? Sounds like your baby is on her way!

Momof3Labs
06-26-2010, 11:43 AM
ds1 - a couple of days before

ds2 - at least two weeks before. sorry!

wellyes
06-26-2010, 11:59 AM
*sigh* I theoretically have 2 weeks but I'm so, so ready.
Waiting and seeing here....

Momof3Labs
06-26-2010, 12:10 PM
I've always heard that second babies tend to drop earlier than first babies, actually.

sads
06-26-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm due around the same time, and suspected that she dropped today too! I've also been having contractions on and off though, and was dilated 1 cm and effaced 50% as of a week ago. Everything I've read says that in later pregnancies the baby drops very close to labor, as opposed to the first pregnancy, so hopefully our time is here :)

MoJo
06-26-2010, 03:31 PM
5 or 6 weeks before. When I went to the hospital for pre-registration, the nurse did a double-take when I told her my due date was still 5 weeks away and asked skeptically, "Do you think you'll make it?"

DD DID arrive early, but only by 3 days.

AnnieW625
06-26-2010, 04:42 PM
DD1 dropped about 3 to 4 weeks before she was born and she was born 12 days before her EDD. Kind of the same thing with DD2. I remember waking up the day after Easter and looking in the mirror and telling that DD2 had dropped. DD2 was born 3/1/2 weeks later.

newg
06-26-2010, 09:27 PM
DD dropped while I was on the table.....my water had already broken and contractions had started.
I don't think that's "typical" though.

SnuggleBuggles
06-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Not till I was in labor with ds2.

Beth

sunnyside
06-26-2010, 09:52 PM
I don't think my baby has dropped yet and my due date is pretty much anytime now. I feel pressure low, but I don't think that's the same thing. At my Dr. appt. a few days ago, my OB said she wasn't down low at all or anything and he wasn't expecting her to come soon.

I"m a rookie though so I'm not sure this is helpful at all. :)

wellyes
06-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Still waiting, alas.... DD was pretty much on time (one day late) so I'm going with the assumption is one will be similar.

sads hope today was your day :thumbsup:

I feel pressure low, but I don't think that's the same thing. At my Dr. appt. a few days ago, my OB said she wasn't down low at all or anything and he wasn't expecting her to come soon.

You'll know if/when it happens, I'm pretty sure. I feel like I have a different body today than I did yesterday. Clothes fit differently, I'm not able to balance a glass on my belly anymore and I can hold an actual conversation without running out of breath!

sunnyside
06-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Still waiting, alas.... DD was pretty much on time (one day late) so I'm going with the assumption is one will be similar.

sads hope today was your day :thumbsup:

You'll know if/when it happens, I'm pretty sure. I feel like I have a different body today than I did yesterday. Clothes fit differently, I'm not able to balance a glass on my belly anymore and I can hold an actual conversation without running out of breath!

Haha that is funny about the glass on your belly. :)

I guess I will know. This being pregnant business is so mysterious. I hear people say all this stuff about different things that happen to them and I haven't experience much of it. My feet are swollen and pelvis is sore and I pee a lot. But the "dropping" or "mucus plug" or "false early labor" etc.... I have had none of that. I wondered today for a minute if I was reallly pregnant, but then she karate chop kicked me in the ribs haha.

I do waddle quite a bit LOL.

♥ms.pacman♥
06-26-2010, 11:14 PM
my ds had dropped by my 36wk appt..i was 1cm dilated then...at 37 weeks i was 2cm dilated, and at 38 weeks apt i was still 2cm but ended up going into labor the next day. :)

sunnyside
06-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Wow! That is interesting! They checked me at 36 weeks and I was nothing. Then again a couple days ago and still nothing. My OB thinks my due date is June 28, not the July 3rd that I'm swearing by. But at my last appt he said she seems to be taking her sweet time!

swissair81
06-27-2010, 09:47 AM
I don't drop until I am in labor.