PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to Chicago with 2 yo and 4 yo

elephantmeg
06-26-2010, 11:08 PM
We're headed back to Chicago next month to visit my bro and SIL for a week (last week in July). We were there 2 years ago (with a small infant and a 2 year old). They live in Chicago proper-forget exactly where but not suburb and on the bus line/easy access to the EL. We're driving so we'll have that too. We didn't do a ton last time since they were so young. We did their local park several times, lincoln park zoo, train station, navy pier (but didn't go to the children's museum) and the Illinois train museum, pizza at uno's. A previous trip (pre kids) we did museum of science and industry

Planning on doing:
Children's museum (we went to please touch in Philly last summer and the kids still talk about it!). Strongly thinking about getting a reciprical membership a our local Children's museum that would work there too.
Lego store, lol
Am considering taking DD to the american doll store. DH is very oposed to the idea, lol.
Lincoln park zoo again?

are they a good age for the museum of science and industry? I can't remember if there was much kid stuff there. DS would love the train layout part. What else is a good match for these ages? TIA. Can't wait. We love Chicago!

elephantmeg
06-26-2010, 11:57 PM
OK I've checked out some of the websites that I had forgotten about and came up with this list. I think if I do the custom explorer pass we can do this for $150 for the family if we do the children's museum recip thing or go on their free night. Otherwise it's $165ish I think. DD is under 3 so it's 2 adults and a kid
-legoland
-shedd
-museum of science and industry
-children's museum (navy pier)

then I saw that millenium park is doing kid stuff all summer so we'll do that too. And the lincoln park zoo. And the playground. And the lego store. And collapse back to our rural american life. The kids will probably have the most fun riding the buses and trains, lol.

what about the field museum? Or are the kids going to totally lose it on what I'm thinking already? DD still naps but would probably sleep in the car/stroller just fine. DS doesn't nap anymore unless he's exhausted in the car. They're pretty high energy inquisitive kids and we don't have ANY museums nearby except the new children's museum which we haven't gone to yet.

Fairy
06-27-2010, 12:03 AM
MSI is my number one recommendation. Any age is the right age for that place. GO.

Shedd Aquarium is a great choice for them. Don't try to do this same day as MSI. Field Museum of Natural History can be a good choice, but it depends on the kid. Mine would love it, but others would be bored. Totally depends. Look online at the exhibits and then decide.

I think Navy Pier is lame, personally. But I know people just loooove it there. I don't get it, and, frankly, I'm in the vast minority. They do have an IMAX, they also have the Children's Museum, and it's good, so may as well go. But the food there at all the restaurants is just really overpriced. But the museum is good.

I think you should go to American Girl. They have a restaurant, and it's quite a little experience for the girls. Why not?

Don't forget about Grant Park and the Bean.

Ed Debevics.

Can you get out of the city? How about Brookfield Zoo? Long Grove for shopping and lunch. Lincolnshire Marriott Children's Theatre. Great America in Gurnee. Lambs Farm right near there, too. Oak Park for Frank Lloyd Wright. Since you have a car, go ahead and take advantage of it.

Momof3Labs
06-27-2010, 12:21 AM
I don't get Navy Pier either, except for the fountain just to the west of the pier - my kids love that!

I think that your kids are too young to really enjoy the Field Museum (mine got into it around 6yo), and the Shedd is overrated IMO (although I haven't seen the newly renovated lower level yet). MSI is perfect for that age; it has been DS2's favorite museum for a couple of years now.

Legoland in Schaumburg is supposed to be pretty lame (is that what you mean?) - probably not worth the hike out that direction.

DebbieJ
06-27-2010, 12:21 AM
I also think Navy Pier is lame (if you're not going to the Children's Museum). And parking there is OUTRAGEOUS, so if you go, take public transit.

I would definitely recommend The Shedd. They are the perfect age for it.

If you go to Millenium Park, bring suits! There is a big fountain there that all the kids play in.

Fairy
06-27-2010, 12:52 AM
Legoland in Schaumburg is supposed to be pretty lame (is that what you mean?) - probably not worth the hike out that direction.

I'm in this vicinity often and have never gone. I have never heard one person whose gone say they enjoyed it. Most reviews are terrible. So, we've never given it a go. If it were me, there are so many other options for you, I'd skip it. Do American Girl instead! Or Great America!

nicoleandjackson
06-27-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm in this vicinity often and have never gone. I have never heard one person whose gone say they enjoyed it. Most reviews are terrible. So, we've never given it a go. If it were me, there are so many other options for you, I'd skip it. Do American Girl instead! Or Great America!

:yeahthat: Totally! Legoland Discovery Center is way, way overpriced. Tiny, crowded, and the gift shop is miniscule! Skip it--you've got way more fun ideas on your itinerary.

Have a great trip!

arivecchi
06-27-2010, 10:43 AM
I live in the city (Lincoln Park) and these are our faves:

MSI
Lincoln Park Zoo
Chicago Botanic Gardens (don't miss the train gardens)
Water park at Adams Playlot
Shedd during week (too crazy otherwise)
North Ave beach
Oz Park
Lunch/breakfast at Nookies
Rainforest Cafe
Millenium Park

Feel free to PM me for more info. My kids are 1 and 3.5.

cono0507
06-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Last year when they were 2 and 4 my kids loved Shedd (agree - only during the week, not on weekends), LP Zoo, Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum near LP Zoo, MSI (the 4 yr old liked this a lot more than the 2 yr old). My two loved Navy Pier - spent a long time at the end watching the boats.

elephantmeg
06-27-2010, 02:51 PM
wow-what great advice! Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fairy
06-27-2010, 08:38 PM
I totally forgot about the Botanic Garden. BIG WIN. Also agree that the Shedd is not best on the Weekend cuz the immediate world is there. Go during the week, you're good.

alexsmommy
07-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Very late to this but agree - Navy Pier, overpriced and not great at that age. My kids love it, BUT we park at DH's office and DS1 is older and into architecture so he likes to do the boat tours to learn about the buildings. DS2 is too young to care and old enough to be a "boy overboard!!!" danger.

I don't like the Chicago Children's Museum (Navy Pier) for the under six set at all. We have two other large ones in the area which are much, much better for younger kids, but not worth the trek (IMHO) for you. I'd go to the MSI and do the kids room there - water table, lots of things to touch/build etc AND you can also have fun at the rest of the museum. Just make sure you hit the room with the water table/little kids stuff early because at that age they might tire out going to the other exhibits and in my experience, the little kids room MAKES the experience for that age. Get there EARLY - it's popular and with younger kiddos it's easier to get there at the opening, then hit lunch at 11:45 (if you are staying) and for the love of God, do NOT wait until 4pm to leave and deal with traffic. Clear out no later than 2pm and get to the general vacinity of where you are staying. I have seen people from rural areas reduced to tears inching along in our fantabulous rush hour.

If you do Millenium Park, I suggest going at open on Sunday. We did this a few weeks ago and NO ONE was in the kid tent. My kids had a blast, could do everything right away and more than once. It was HOT that day but because it wasn't crowded and there were industrial fans going, it was fine. We did the kids tent, then played under the bean for a while and then hit the fountain. I
If you go I STRONGLY suggest bringing either a bathing suit or a change of clothes. The fountain is irresistable to little kids and they will see other kids running through the water. Wear sandals yourself so you can take them off and walk in with them.

Legoland - WASTE OF TIME unless you have a lego obsessed child. I went when it opened and haven't been back. Now at 7 DS1 is into Legos and wants to go back and I will take him, but only him. There are lego reconstructions of Sears Tower and some other famous skyscapers at MSI (or at least there were last year). Only a child into Legos will appreciate Legoland and the rides are fun, but not worth driving out of the city.

Now, what I would leave the city for - the Morton Arboreteum - the Children's Garden. My kids LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this place. They can run and explore. We tend to go at open (9:30a), do lunch at 11:30 and then head home. There's a picnic area if you don't want to spend money. If it's hot, take your own water bottles. Long trek, but really fun, everyone we've take from out of town has loved it. Also, another change of clothes place. You can't wear bathing suits because it is not technically a "swimming environment" because it's natural and in spring there are tadpoles in the pond and stream... but the kids can plan in the creek (and will) and can walk in the pond (and will) and htere are some other opportunities to get wet (and they will).

Chicago in summer is why we put up with the craptastic winters. It's such a great, friendly, fun city for 5-6 months of the year.

Have fun!

elephantmeg
07-26-2010, 11:27 AM
thanks everyone for your advice! We're headed out today, will go as far as Dayton OH tonight (I worked til 3 am this morning so we're not leaving until 12-which is when the kids finish lunch at daycare)! We're headed to the Air force museum in Dayton tomorrow and then Chicago and Wed we're going to Shedd and then we'll go from there once I can see a CITA map and figure out how to pair stuff together!

elephantmeg
07-29-2010, 10:56 PM
we are having a great time here! Couldn't ask for better weather either!

So far we have done:
Wed-Shedd-awesome customer service there-I lost our tickets to the fantasea show and the 4D movie and they got us new tickets! So happy with them. The aquarium was OK, the kids enjoyed it and the show was pretty cool (I've seen the show at sea world so I thought it was a little tame in comparison but the kids were impressed!)
Today-millenium park-had a great time with the kids activities-crafts, building, tumbling stuff, food pyramid, reading corner, corn hole toss, hula hoops... We also had a picnic there and then went shopping at the lego store and the american girl store. DD now has a bitty baby and she is soooooooooooooo cute (she named her Amy!)
Tomorrow we're headed to MSI for a full day and then Sat to Lincoln Park Zoo and then the Adams playlot and then Sun to the botanic gardens! DD has been sleeping in the train, stroller, backpack wherever and that has really helped us do more. Today she fell asleep on the walk to the lego store and then slept through the lego store and was awake and fresh for snack and then american girl! Perfect!

Fairy
07-29-2010, 11:34 PM
Sounds like you're having a great time!

arivecchi
07-30-2010, 11:03 AM
LOVE the Adams Playlot and the Botanic Gardens. Have fun!

elephantmeg
08-03-2010, 12:17 AM
ended up not doing the adams playlot :( I guess we'll put it at the top of the list for the next trip! The kids were exhausted and so we had a quiet morning and then did lunch at Nookies (per the reccomendations here) and then did Lincoln Park zoo in the afternoon. The botanic gardens on Sunday were great. We had a good time there but were done around 3 and then headed home and then out for ice cream (George's) and some park time at the neighborhood park and then ordered in deep dish pizza. The perfect ending to our trip! We made it home a little after 11 pm-left at 8 am Chicago time/9am VA time so just over 14 hours. Not bad for 720 miles! Thanks for all the advice-bro and SIL had never heard of Nookies (loved it!) and had never been to/really heard of the botanic gardens (another huge hit!).

Fairy
08-03-2010, 12:26 AM
That's great, Meg. Glad it was a good trip!

elektra
08-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Sounds so fun! I just got my trip booked! I think we might take quite a few of these suggestions. :thumbsup:

Fairy
08-03-2010, 12:39 AM
sounds so fun! I just got my trip booked! I think we might take quite a few of these suggestions. :thumbsup:

yay!!!!!!!

arivecchi
08-03-2010, 10:25 AM
ended up not doing the adams playlot :( I guess we'll put it at the top of the list for the next trip! The kids were exhausted and so we had a quiet morning and then did lunch at Nookies (per the reccomendations here) and then did Lincoln Park zoo in the afternoon. The botanic gardens on Sunday were great. We had a good time there but were done around 3 and then headed home and then out for ice cream (George's) and some park time at the neighborhood park and then ordered in deep dish pizza. The perfect ending to our trip! We made it home a little after 11 pm-left at 8 am Chicago time/9am VA time so just over 14 hours. Not bad for 720 miles! Thanks for all the advice-bro and SIL had never heard of Nookies (loved it!) and had never been to/really heard of the botanic gardens (another huge hit!). Glad you had a good trip! Nookies is YUMMY! We love the CBG! Did you see the train garden?

Elektra, get ready for some F U N !!!!

elephantmeg
08-03-2010, 11:08 AM
oh yes the train was the biggest hit! We did it twice! One word of advice for Elektra-get tickets online ahead for any museums/aquarium. Soooooooo much easier. We did for MSI but didn't for the Shedd and were in line forever.