PDA

View Full Version : WWYD: I think I sold a recalled crib on CL?

ha98ed14
06-27-2010, 12:23 AM
6+ months ago, I sold my fixed-side crib on CL. It was right before we moved. While my exact model has not been recalled, the only fixed side crib to be recalled is VERY similar to mine. I mean, I can't tell the difference except that the mfger is different. Mine was made by Million Dollar Baby and the recalled one is made by Child Craft. The only MDB brand cribs to be recalled are the drop side ones, and mine was fixed side, but seriously, I cannot tell the difference between what I had and the picture in the recall notice for the Child Craft version.

I still have the mom's email address because I never clean out my email (thank you gmail.) Should I email her? It wasn't the exact brand, (and I am positive about the brand I had), but it's a baby's life at stake, so better safe than sorry. This is going to sound incredibly petty, but I am worried she will be mad and want her money back. WWYD?

marit
06-27-2010, 01:26 AM
I don't think she can ask for her money back after 6 months... It is not your responsibility, but the manufacturer. If her crib WAS recalled than she would probably get something from the manufacturer, but since it wasn't I don't see what the problem here is. It wasn't reacalled. Period.

Sweetum
06-27-2010, 01:45 AM
Is this what you are talking about?
http://cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10271.html
I can see how this can extend, possibly, to another maker.
When you sold the crib, did you take it apart, and did she have to assemble it? It seems like this recall is about incorrect assembly. One option is to email her to tell her to make sure that she has it assembled correctly and ask her to follow up with MDB.
If not, you could still email her telling her about it.

While people are different, I wouldn't hold anyone responsible for selling a crib that eventually gets recalled.

Assuming she does demand her money back, do you feel responsible for it? While I don't think you should (you didn't know about it!), offer to call MDB for her, if it makes you feel better. If you don't feel you should be responsible, well, I don't think there's much she can do about it - is she going to post on CL saying "this person sold me a crib that eventually got recalled, and she called to tell me about it and then refused to give me my money back"? Is she going to report you to someplace - I don't think there's any place she can. Her best bet is to contact MDB to get the whole thing fixed. I think you are doing her a favor by letting her know. There are inherent risks in buying used cribs, and she ought to have known before making that purchase.

my $0.02 :)

ETA: PP, the manufacturer would not call her since she is not the original owner. They would contact OP.

HonoluluMom
06-27-2010, 03:10 AM
Although the crib you sold is not part of the recall, if your conscience is telling you to email the mom, what's the harm in emailing her (it's than up to her to contact the manufacturer). If you don't email her, will you continue to think/worry about it? I would want a clear conscience, especially if you have the means of communicating with the mom.

Money is nothing when it comes to the safety of a child. JMHO.

Melaine
06-27-2010, 08:15 AM
I think it would be very kind for you to email her and just point out the possibility of risk. That maybe she should contact the manufacturer. It would be preposterous for her to think of asking for her money back and I'd be shocked if she did. Still, it's a nice mommy-to-mommy gesture for you to send her a little note.

SnuggleBuggles
06-27-2010, 08:39 AM
I think it would be very kind for you to email her and just point out the possibility of risk. That maybe she should contact the manufacturer. It would be preposterous for her to think of asking for her money back and I'd be shocked if she did. Still, it's a nice mommy-to-mommy gesture for you to send her a little note.

:yeahthat: I'd email her just with an FYI to subscribe to the CPSC so she can keep up to date on crib recalls.

Beth

KrisM
06-27-2010, 08:44 AM

I'd do this and include a link to the recall.

elliput
06-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Would you be having these same guilty feelings if you had sold the crib at a garage sale or consignment sale? Or is it just because you know the buyer has a way of contacting you?

I, personally, think you are worrying about this too much. You did not sell a recalled item, the buyers did not purchase a recalled item. IMO, this is a case of where the liability is on the buyer. They knew they were purchasing a used crib and should be aware of the inherent risks involved. It is now their responsibility to keep aware of any possible recalls on the crib. You did not force your crib upon them, they chose it- therefore they chose to be responsible for the future of that crib.

yournamehere
06-27-2010, 11:07 AM
I, personally, think you are worrying about this too much. You did not sell a recalled item, the buyers did not purchase a recalled item. IMO, this is a case of where the liability is on the buyer. They knew they were purchasing a used crib and should be aware of the inherent risks involved. It is now their responsibility to keep aware of any possible recalls on the crib. You did not force your crib upon them, they chose it- therefore they chose to be responsible for the future of that crib.[/QUOTE]

:yeahthat:

infomama
06-27-2010, 11:11 AM
What was the nature of the recall? If it had to do with the drop side styling I would let it go. Your crib is not that style. I may have entertained contacting her if your specific crib was recalled and you were worrying about it to no end but in essence...the crib you sold was *not* a recalled crib so I would let it go...it's fine.

MamaMolly
06-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Only you know what will make you feel better. If it makes you feel better then contact her and say that you came across this (the recall info) and you know it isn't the same mfg. as the crib she bought from you, but it looks similar and thought she might want to double check the assembly to be on the safe side.

Personally I think just about any piece of baby gear, new or used, can be misused or put together incorrectly and be a risk. You sold her a crib that was NOT recalled. But like I said, if it makes you feel better to contact her then do it.

AshleyAnn
06-27-2010, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't contact her. Your crib may look similar, it as a popular style, but its a different brand and may not measure the same or is constructed slightly different so the side isn't installed upside down. You did not sell her a recalled crib.

crl
06-27-2010, 05:15 PM
I am actually quite paranoid about such things, but you did not sell her a crib that has subsequently been recalled. I would do nothing. If the crib you sold her is later recalled, you could send her the link then.

Catherine

ha98ed14
06-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Is this what you are talking about?
http://cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10271.html
I can see how this can extend, possibly, to another maker.
When you sold the crib, did you take it apart, and did she have to assemble it? It seems like this recall is about incorrect assembly. One option is to email her to tell her to make sure that she has it assembled correctly and ask her to follow up with MDB.

Yup! That's it! I see your point, it's not like the crib has to be sent back. It's more like a warning than a recall. You don't even need replacement parts; she just needs to check it's been assembled correctly. I did n't see all that in my haze of freaked-out-ness. I will take this advice. Thank you Sunshine!

Assuming she does demand her money back, do you feel responsible for it? While I don't think you should (you didn't know about it!), offer to call MDB for her, if it makes you feel better. If you don't feel you should be responsible, well, I don't think there's much she can do about it - is she going to post on CL saying "this person sold me a crib that eventually got recalled, and she called to tell me about it and then refused to give me my money back"? Is she going to report you to someplace - I don't think there's any place she can. Her best bet is to contact MDB to get the whole thing fixed. I think you are doing her a favor by letting her know. There are inherent risks in buying used cribs, and she ought to have known before making that purchase.

The reason I feel responsible is because when she came to buy it, it was clear that she was struggling financially. She told me also. Her BF/BD was out of work and she was a SAHM. They were living in a 1 BR apt with 2 kids. I had a lot of compassion for her, so I guess that is why I feel responsible. Truthfully, I would not feel as responsible for someone who was of a high SES. Dunno if that is an appropriate reaction of not. Maybe I feel for her because in some ways I have BTDT.