PDA

View Full Version : High Chair Recommendations, please

suomi777
06-27-2010, 09:07 AM
I need a new high chair. I have a Chicco Polly that I love the look of, but I feel like it is full of crevices that I can't get clean unless I take it outside and hose it off. I would like a high chair that is easy to clean--that is first and foremost. I would never buy a high chair with cloth cushions. I would either want plasticy cushions (hopefully no BPA) or kids would just sit without cushions (like my Kinderzeat). Also adjustable height is a must.

Ideally it would also have wheels, but not essential.

I also want it to look nice, not like FP rainforest or anything super kiddie-looking.

I already have a Kinderzeat ready for this baby when he is 18 mos, so I don't plan to use it for more than about a year (6ish mos -18 mos). I will not use a recline--when the baby gets a bottle, someone holds him or her, and we don't start solids until about 7 mos.

I have thought about getting a Svan or another Stokke that can be used from 6 mos., but since I already have 2 Kinderzeats (only one of which gets regularly used) it seems like a waste of $$.

This baby isn't due until August, so I have time to figure it out--I just got a lot of gift certificates yesterday at my shower and I really want a new high chair so I started the search.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

crl
06-27-2010, 10:38 AM
No baby rails available for the kinderzeats? What about selling one of them on craigslist and buying a Tripp Tapp with baby rail. If you play the diapers.com game before the end of the mont (when they stop doing bing cash back) you might get a decent price.

Catherine

llama8
06-27-2010, 11:17 AM
I have the Chicco Polly with my DD and I love it. It is so easy to clean I just wipe it down. It is comfy and adjustable with a nice pattern. No crevices that a wet cloth won't clean

why don't you wait until you use it before investing money on a different brand (I couldn't tell from your post if you used it before with another child, or you just think you won't like it).

All of my mommy friends that have the Chicco love it too.

Melaine
06-27-2010, 11:31 AM
No baby rails available for the kinderzeats? What about selling one of them on craigslist and buying a Tripp Tapp with baby rail. If you play the diapers.com game before the end of the mont (when they stop doing bing cash back) you might get a decent price.

Catherine

I would do that. Kinderzeats still go for a great price in most areas.

Smillow
06-27-2010, 12:36 PM
I have the ikea Antilop
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30069724
I also have the $5 tray. It is super easy to clean, you don't have to take the tray off to get baby in & out, you can use it without the tray & slide it right up to the table. I always take it when we travel because the legs come off & on. We actually have 2 (1 red, 1 white) keeping one in the kitchen & the other where ever we might need it (deck, office, etc.) Ikea makes an inflatable cushion to use to help when baby is small & can't sit up as well. The price and portability of it made up my mind. If I didn't like it, I wasn't out too much.

DebbieJ
06-27-2010, 02:50 PM
If you have a chair to spare at your table, get the FP Space Saver chair. We have it for DS2 and it's GREAT!

suomi777
06-27-2010, 06:27 PM
In response to everyone's questions:

My kinderzeats are blueberry--not available in Tripp Trapp. I hate to get rid of the blueberry Kinderzeat to get a Tripp Trapp. There is no way to put a baby rail on a Kinderzeat to my knowledge.

This is baby #3--the Chicco Polly was purchased for baby #1. I have used it through 2 babies and find it really hard to clean. It isn't the worst high chair ever, but with a little cash to spare right now it is definitely at the top of my list to replace. I find all sorts of food in leg crevices and other areas outside the main eating part.

Thanks for the help, keep them coming!

happymom
06-27-2010, 06:50 PM
You will love the Boon high chair.

I had all the same requirements as you do...easy to clean, nice looking, rolls easily...

I previously had the rainforest high chair and was unhappy with it (I posted about it here). I returned it for a full refund and bought the boon instead. At first I didnt love it because the tray is very low. But truthfully, everything else about it is sooo awesome that I dont care about that anymore. Plus DD has gotten used to having a low tray and doesnt make such a mess anymore.

Here are the pros:
*super easy to clean
*glides around effortlessly (we have hardwood)
* very sleek and modern looking
*has 2 snap on tray which wash beautifully in the dishwasher
*adjustable height so easy to use at the table without the tray.

Here are the cons:
*very small tray
* a little hard to remove tray, although its 1 handed. I'm used to it by now.
*tray only has 2 positions rather than a whole track
*highchair doesnt fold for storage and is heavy to lift (we never lift it though).
*the tray hits the buckle of the harness exactly (dont know why they designed it like that).

The pros really outweigh the cons for me,

I scored an awesome deal with diapers.com price match and bing cash back. Hurry before June 30th for the cash back!

AnnieW625
06-27-2010, 07:13 PM
I would look at getting the Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster chair since you will only be using it a short time, and then it's great because you can take it with you.
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Care-Deluxe-Booster/dp/B0000DEW8N/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1277680243&sr=8-1

I love the look of this high chair because while it's a high chair it's not full of baby prints and such. http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Zen-Collection-High-Chair/dp/B0011MQLM2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1277680284&sr=1-2

swissair81
06-27-2010, 07:20 PM
I have one Kinderzeat & one Graco Blossom. I wouldn't bother replacing it with a Tripp-Trapp since I prefer a tray for my younger toddler anyway. He will stay in the high chair until I need it for the next baby (and I usually don't start solids until 8-10 months, so it'll be a while) or until he wants to change over. I love the Blossom. It is nice and easy to clean. The FP Dreamsicle highchair looks nice too.