PDA

View Full Version : Flip Baby!

ebjw
06-27-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm 34 weeks and starting to get nervous that baby won't flip over! She is but down and has been like that at least since my 20 week ultrasound. Doctor said they don't do that manuver anymore where they flip the baby by manipulating my abdomen. They say 95% of babies will still flip on there own. Any tips to convince her to go head down? Tried and true techniques?

BabyMine
06-27-2010, 10:25 AM
While I was in labor they flipped TT. Don't worry. Of course that is easier said than done.

swissair81
06-27-2010, 10:30 AM
That is just not true. ECV (external cephalic version) is done all the time, but not usually until the 9th month. There are supposed to be some positions to lie in to prod baby to move. Did you ask your doctor why they won't consider turning your baby if it's still breech in the 9th month (they don't usually do it when you are in labor though)? It sounds silly, considering that it is an automatic c/s (unless you are planning to deliver at home with a midwife) in most places if baby is breech.

llama8
06-27-2010, 11:32 AM
My DD was breech (transverse) the entire pregnancy and never flipped (she was a big baby). I needed a c-section (scheduled). It wasn't bad at all. I recovered in no time.

My doctor too said she would never recommend external flipping. She knew of another doctor who tried it and the patient's baby died from it. It many times causes the cord to disconnect from the uterus. She didn't give me any techniques. If the baby wants to or can flip, it will. She said mother nature put the baby like that and sometimes it is best to leave it.

The safety of my baby was the most important thing. It was not a big deal that she was born breech from a c-section. She is perfectly healthy.

I wish you all the best, but try not to stress too much about it.

sunnyside
06-27-2010, 12:14 PM
It's true that there is plenty of time for your baby to flip.

I didn't realize there was such controversy about external version. My doctor told me once weeks ago that he flipped three in one week. It seems to be pretty common.

You can go to spinningbabies.com to see how to flip your baby yourself by using positions yourself.

I recommend going to yoga, and spending a bit of time on hands and knees etc. Check out that website anyway. Try to keep your butt over your knees and don't lay on the couch. There is a lot more info on the website.

I took a class on pelvic alignment in pregnancy for optimal birth and really felt that it helped my baby get in an optimal position.

Good luck, and definitely don't worry.

swissair81
06-27-2010, 12:23 PM
My DD was breech (transverse) the entire pregnancy and never flipped (she was a big baby). I needed a c-section (scheduled). It wasn't bad at all. I recovered in no time.

My doctor too said she would never recommend external flipping. She knew of another doctor who tried it and the patient's baby died from it. It many times causes the cord to disconnect from the uterus. She didn't give me any techniques. If the baby wants to or can flip, it will. She said mother nature put the baby like that and sometimes it is best to leave it.

The safety of my baby was the most important thing. It was not a big deal that she was born breech from a c-section. She is perfectly healthy.

I wish you all the best, but try not to stress too much about it.

Did mother nature also leave blueprints for c-sections? I would agree with you if your doctor also did vaginal breech deliveries. If not, I would be really wary. The c-section isn't so bad if you don't mind major abdominal surgery, but when you have 3-4 of them, they become more complicated each time. Look up placenta placenta accreta, increta & percreta. http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/188_1128.asp It can be a complication of multiple c-sections. The first one is a cinch, all your anatomy is where it is supposed to be. There are no scars to worry about or adhesions or other problems. The irresponsibility of some OBs who think c-sections are no big deal is mind boggling.

llama8
06-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Did mother nature also leave blueprints for c-sections? I would agree with you if your doctor also did vaginal breech deliveries. If not, I would be really wary. The c-section isn't so bad if you don't mind major abdominal surgery, but when you have 3-4 of them, they become more complicated each time. Look up placenta placenta accreta, increta & percreta. http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/188_1128.asp It can be a complication of multiple c-sections. The first one is a cinch, all your anatomy is where it is supposed to be. There are no scars to worry about or adhesions or other problems. The irresponsibility of some OBs who think c-sections are no big deal is mind boggling.

My daughter was too big to flip, but I wouldn't have chanced it. I don't think a c-section is no big deal, but the position my child was in would have meant certain death for her if a vaginal delivery was attempted. She was stuck sideways and could never have come out the natural way.

All i know is that I have a healthy girl that I would not have had without a c-section. Without my c-section, I probably would not be here now either. So yes, mother nature did leave blueprints for a c-section, as many lives are saved because of this surgery.

Every case is different, but I do know that forced flipping has some big risks and many doctors opt not to perfom it.

swissair81
06-27-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm not a big fan of c-sections for breech, so...

llama8
06-27-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm not a big fan of c-sections for breech, so...

Big fan or not, the c-section is the only way my daughter is here alive. I know this for a fact. I would have done anything to make sure my baby was healthy. Not all breech warrent a c-section, but mine did. Therefore, I am eternally grateful for mine!!!

swissair81
06-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Big fan or not, the c-section is the only way my daughter is here alive. I know this for a fact. I would have done anything to make sure my baby was healthy. Not all breech warrent a c-section, but mine did. Therefore, I am eternally grateful for mine!!!

What kind of breech? There are several kinds. Footling, frank, complete. Some cannot be delivered normally, but most can.

Also if you worked in L & D & see the stupid reasons some OBs come up with for sections (and the parents hero who worship the Dr because he/she 'saved' their baby), you would feel like I do.

maiaann
06-27-2010, 05:01 PM
My dd3 was a gymnast. At my 36.5 week appt we found out she was (still) breech. I scheduled the external version and went into panic mode. I went to a local chiropractor that specializes in the Webster technique daily until my version at the hospital (scheduled at 37.5 weeks). We got to the hospital for the version and the baby was head down. Yippee!

A week later I went to the dr to schedule my induction (long story - had to be induced because I was on blood thinners). Found out the the baby had flipped back breech. I started bawling in the office. I didn't want to be induced (that scared me enough), but I really didn't want a C-section. Dr was unsympathetic and scheduled a C-section for the next day.:crying:

We went to the hospital the next day. When I arrived, the baby was in a transverse position. I asked the dr to flip her. We talked about the risks but he said he would try. I figured I was there for a section regardless, so might as well give it a try. By the time he laid his hands on my abdomen, dd3 was nearly head down again. :dizzy: He gave her a little nudge, she went back to head down, they started the induction, and she was born vaginally 14 hours later. :bighand:

My dr recommended acupuncture. I didn't try it, but she swore by it. In my case, I don't know if the chiropractor helped or not, but I was willing to try anything and I'd do it again.

MoJo
06-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Just wanted to echo a PP's point about hands & knees time & lots of pelvic tilts several times a day. Avoid reclining.

My DD#2 was transverse, then bottom first, then facing the wrong way when she was finally head down as late as my last appointment before she arrived. I think those things helped her get turned around. She arrived naturally and facing the right way.

Jenn850
06-28-2010, 03:07 PM
I tried absolutely everything to get ds to get ds to flip. I went swimming and stood on my head and went diving. I made a point to sit forward and squat. I was on my hands and knees, elevated my hips 3-4 times a day. DH would talk to the bottom of my belly, while I put ice on the top. I did this Chinese homeopathy incense thing. I went to a chiropractor and an accupunturist the same day and he flipped. I think it was the webster technique, but it could have been a combination of everything! Good Luck!

ourbabygirl
06-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Not to hijack, but this thread has been interesting to read through and I'm wondering if it's ever too soon to try these techniques to get baby into head down position. I was lucky that DD was head down and I never had to worry about flipping her, but I'm wondering if I can maximize my chances now, w/DS, to get him head down. I'm only about 24 weeks or so, but I figure maybe it's not too early to try? Should I be avoiding lying down? What do you ladies do at bedtime? Do you sleep more upright in a recliner, or just sleep regularly in your bed and hope for the best?

Thanks! :)

swissair81
06-28-2010, 08:44 PM
24 weeks is too soon. The baby is still small enough to somersault- and it will. That's okay. When baby gets bigger, it will hopefully settle into a head's down position.

marymoo86
06-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Swissair81 - gather you are a L&D nurse?

Still quite while for me as I am a little over 22 weeks but am very concerned about a vaginal delivery and wondered if you had seen any cases similar. I will be discussing with my OB at my next appt but just like to get as many opinions as possible.

About 3 years ago I had a laminectomy and disktectomy on my L5-S1 due to rupturing twice (5-10% chance - how's that for odds!). My ortho noted that should anything else happen to my back it would be an automatic fusion - basically 6 months incapacitated. So of course I am concerned about what a vaginal delivery could mean for my back. Any thoughts? A c-section is not my first choice but preferable to a spinal fusion.

swissair81
06-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Swissair81 - gather you are a L&D nurse?

Still quite while for me as I am a little over 22 weeks but am very concerned about a vaginal delivery and wondered if you had seen any cases similar. I will be discussing with my OB at my next appt but just like to get as many opinions as possible.

About 3 years ago I had a laminectomy and disktectomy on my L5-S1 due to rupturing twice (5-10% chance - how's that for odds!). My ortho noted that should anything else happen to my back it would be an automatic fusion - basically 6 months incapacitated. So of course I am concerned about what a vaginal delivery could mean for my back. Any thoughts? A c-section is not my first choice but preferable to a spinal fusion.

I am indeed an L & D nurse.

I think you should have your OB & your ortho have a chat with each other. It is very important that they should have a meeting of the minds. I've never experienced that, so any opinion I might give would be really uninformed. I'm sure you don't want to spend the first 6 months of your baby's life flat on your back. I wonder how they would do the anesthesia though. I can't imagine they would want to do a spinal or epidural & general is pretty risky during pregnancy.

Just to give an illustration (even though it's a totally different situation), my oldest sister has a congenital heart defect. Her cardiologist has to be notified when she is in labor & I think was even present in the hospital for the birth of her oldest. There was major dialogue between her OB and cardio during her pregnancy, planning for every possible eventuality. Everything was okay, but it would have been really bad to be unprepared.

ebjw
06-29-2010, 05:28 PM
I have the acupuncturist scheuduled tomorrow and have contacted a chiropractor that does the Webster Technique (so many of them don't!). I'll keep everyone posted!

ebjw
07-12-2010, 07:48 PM
After 5 Webster Technique visits with a bit of acupuncture thrown in there, baby is still head up. They'll induce me next week if she flips and I'm still holding out hope. But at the same time trying to mentally prepare myself for a c-section... Going to try the frozen peas tonight.

wallawala
07-12-2010, 11:06 PM
I had ECV at 37 weeks for DD who was a frank breech baby (Head up and heels by her ears).

Not sure what you've heard, but it was NOT a painful procedure. Unfortunately for me unsuccessful. I would still choose to try it again if this happens with next DC. I ended up with a C-sect at 39.5 weeks. I was scared of the C-section as I've had a bad abdominal surgery in the past.... but it was really, really easy. As the delivered her, they found the cord wrapped around her torso... it would have been very dangerous and difficult to deliever her normally and likely would have had to go to emergency section if she'd flipped or if I'd tried to deliever vaginally.

Every birth is different, and if you can avoid a C-section... do it! But getting that baby out safely is the best ever!

On the "flip side" I was a breech myself and spontaneously flipped within the 2 days of my moms last appointment and the start of labor (at 39 weeks). She did nothing special. So..... never give up!!