PDA

View Full Version : Jaundice...

ourbabygirl
06-27-2010, 04:11 PM
It's not a huge concern of mine, but DD did have it that first week, & I'm worried we'll go through the same thing w/DS this fall. We tried the bili blanket w/DD, but she wouldn't calm down enough for us to somehow keep it on her, so we ended up admitting her to the hospital to be in the bili bed. Luckily it worked and she was able to leave a few days later.

Did your DC have it when first born, & is there a way to prevent it? If your first DC had it, did future DC have it, too?

Thanks! :)

hillview
06-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Both DCs had it. It is hard but "not a big deal" I still cried both times. A lot of that was just stress and hormones. HUGS and good luck!
/hillary

willow33
06-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Both boys had it, but thankfully my DD did not. I just assumed DD would have it and be under the lights like the boys. I was told it can be related to blood type incompatibility...I am O- and DH is O+, but all three kids have O+ blood so that doesn't make sense to me. DS1 had a hematoma on his head which can lead to jaundice, but DS2 didn't have any trauma at birth. So not sure why DD didn't have it, but maybe your #2 won't either!!

SnuggleBuggles
06-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Did you have pitocin last birth? There is research out there that says pitocin can increase the odds of it (and possibly the other induction drugs, I can't remember them in the list but I might have been a risk/ benefit thing for pitocin only). Being born too early is another factor (decline any interventions before 39 weeks if all is healthy).

Ds1 was born at 42w and I had no pitocin (or other meds) but he had a mild case of jaundice that required no more than lots of nursing and sunlight (sat by a window).

Ds2 had no pitocin or meds, born after 41w and had 0 jaundice issues. I think it helped that ds2 was a better nurser from the get go so his system was up and running better.

Beth

sunshine873
06-27-2010, 04:33 PM
DD was jaundice, but that was kind of a no-brainer for such a preemie. It didn't change too much for us, she would have been in the hospital anyway. We couldn't hold her for the 1st week anyway, she was in an incubator anyway, etc.

I can see that it would be upsetting in a "normal" situation. I guess go into it with your eyes open and know that if it happens, at least it is treatable and in a few days your DC should be just fine. Good luck!

ourbabygirl
06-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks.... no, I wasn't induced or anything. She was born 2 days after her due date, with a very short labor. Though I did have an epidural.
They actually encouraged me to use formula a bit while we were in the hospital, saying that the jaundice would stay in her system longer if she only had breast milk. My milk didn't come in until she was on her first day in the hospital, anyhow, so I pumped and gave her formula that the hospital provided. I wish we could have cleared it up with some time out in the sun! The good thing about her getting admitted to the hospital is that we got to sleep in the room w/her and her nurses were really great; I learned about "The happiest baby on the block" from one of them, and they took really great care of us for the few days we were there. I did cry and get emotional seeing her so vulnerable like that, but I'm glad it it didn't last longer than it did.

brittone2
06-27-2010, 05:42 PM
nak-
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t029600.asp

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/bfhelp-jaundice.html

hillview
06-27-2010, 06:05 PM
DS2 was for sure breastmilk jaundice (I did a 24 hr trial). DS1 may have not 100% sure.
/hillary

lilycat88
06-27-2010, 11:02 PM
We just went through it with our DS last weekend and went through it with DD in 2004. We were told that statistically, siblings have a higher incidence of jaundice. DD was pretty bruised during delivery, we had A/O blood compatibility issues, and she wasn't a good eater. So, she had a lot going against her. DS, on the other hand, had no issues other than a sibling who had jaundice.

DD was under the lights before discharge for about 36 hours and then we were set home without a billi blanket. She was readmitted 6 days later for a 3 day stay under the lights again. DSs bilirubin was elevated upon discharge but not to the point of being under the lights (according to the ped hospitalist we hated) so he sent us home with a blanket and orders to come back in the next morning for a bili check. We were home for about 24 hours before he was readmitted. His level wasn't quite as high as his sister's had been but it was close. But, he was only under the lights for 24 hours and sent home. The ped hospitalist we did like said that the lights now compared to 6 years ago are far more effective.

ChefGirl
06-27-2010, 11:06 PM
My first two never had it...but #3 had it...he had to wear the light blanket thing for a week....I think we have a picture of him in that thing.....It was like he's in a tanning bed...poor little guy....during his first few months, he only slept in his car seats...so we wrapped him and he slept in there.....he was fine after a week's treatment.....I can't remember if it was even that long.