PDA

View Full Version : Which Hotrock would you choose?

MommyofAmaya
06-27-2010, 07:36 PM
After careful study of the various threads here, I have decided to get Amaya a Hotrock. We went to the bike shop and she was able to pedal right away (with training wheels on, she is a total beginner). She hasn't been able to move on any of the other cheaper bikes we've tried. I don't think we will even need to shave the post on the 16".

My options are:

1. New for $199. $100/credit at trade-up.

2. Craigslist used 2009 model for $100. No training wheels. I will need to buy elsewhere.

3. Craigslist used 2006(?) model for $125. Comes with training wheels and Giro helmet (which may be too big right now).

4. Craigslist used 2005 model for $70.

The older models look like they are in great shape, but I don't know if they might be heavier/bulkier/taller than the current one. I'd also prefer a gender neutral color if I buy used, but there are not any available atm. Any ideas?

KrisM
06-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Is there a limit on when you can get the $100 credit? If not, I'd do that. You'll probably get 4 or maybe 5 years out of it between the 2 kids. And, after the credit, it costs about the same as the used bikes do. Actually, even without the credit, you will probably be able to sell it in 4 or 5 years for around $100.

MommyofAmaya
06-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Is there a limit on when you can get the $100 credit? If not, I'd do that. You'll probably get 4 or maybe 5 years out of it between the 2 kids. And, after the credit, it costs about the same as the used bikes do. Actually, even without the credit, you will probably be able to sell it in 4 or 5 years for around $100.

The time limit is 24 months. So I'd probably be trading up before passing it down. Hmmmm.

KrisM
06-29-2010, 09:50 AM
The time limit is 24 months. So I'd probably be trading up before passing it down. Hmmmm.

So, if you bought new, you'd spend $200. Then in 2 years, trade it in and get $100 back, but you'd then have to buy 2 new bikes (1 per kid) and spend maybe $400. Net spending is $500 at this point. Probably 2 years later, you'd spend another $200 on a 20" for #2, but trade in the second 16" for $100. Net spending is $600 to get 2 kids to 2 20" bikes.

I'd buy new and not worry about trading it in. Spend $200 and buy a neutral color. Our bikes are red and blue and DD likes them fine. Keep the 16" for 4 years so each kid rides for 2 years. Then 2 years from now, buy a 20" and hand the 16" down. Two years after that, buy another 20" for #2. Sell the 16" for $100 on CL. Net spending is $500 to get 2 kids to 2 20" bikes.

WatchingThemGrow
06-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Wow! I'm impressed with KrisM's logistics. My mind can't even weigh the possibilities right now. I guess you saw all my blabbering about the Hotrock for my DD the same age and how she's loving the yellow spider Hotrock with the pink princess basket from Amazon. I cannot BELIEVE how confident she is on it - in NO time! Every time I take a picture/video of her on it - and all the mismatched colors, I cringe.

If you can get the shop to remove the pedals or not put them on during assembly, you can use it as a balance bike - and possibly not even need the training wheels ever. If you do remove the pedals, her feet need to be flat on the ground, and that's where we realized that cutting the seatpost was a good option. She just needed 1/2-1" to have that extra confidence/stability. You could then put them on when she's ready, if you have the tools. Ask if they would do that at no charge.

With a new bike, will they cover maintenance on it? Our shop has a little sign about that, which is handy since maintenance can be $$ if you don't do it yourself. Also, helmets have a shelf-life, like carseats. I wouldn't want to trust my kid's noggin in a used or expired helmet. I think they said 6 years. Actually, that means I need to get a new one for myself and for DH.

Oh, and be prepared to have to buy DS something sooner than you did with DD. Now that we're constantly out there riding after dinner, DS1 has gotten very proficient. I just wrote to our shop asking about a 12" Hotrock.

MommyofAmaya
06-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Wow. Thanks KrisM for the breakdown. Your logic actually worked the opposite way for me though. I think that if I'm only going to save $100 on all the bikes over the long term (and assuming one doesn't get lost/stolen) I'm leaning towards getting the used 2009 pink one now. She is super duper hesitant to ride. I think if she LOVES her bike, she might be more inclined to keep trying.

We initially bought her a 12" and took off the pedals to make it into a balance bike. She absolutely refused to try to ride it ... even after her brother was pushing past her on the Strider. She tried after we put the pedals on, but her knees were coming up to high making it tough to ride. So it looks like training wheels are the way to go for her.

I'll check on the mainentance issue. I hadn't thought about that. They didn't actually have any boys 16" in the store when we were there. They said Specialized is slow to release them? I'll have to check to see if they are getting more if we go that route.

Didn't even consider the expiry on the helmets. Thanks for mentioning that. We'll buy new. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
06-29-2010, 05:46 PM
As for helmets, one that matches the bike :) DD's doesn't match this yellow bike, unfortunately, but it matched her Hotwalk. We have Giro Flumes from the shop. I asked them to fit them on the kids, and I'll have them re-fit them every year or so. I feel better having them do it right. Did you know the helmet should not wiggle on the kid's head withOUT the strap fastened?

You're totally right about one that they like - and how that will give her incentive to ride. FWIW, I went round and round about which bike to get - even posted here about "Should I give in and get the pink bike?" She fell apart one day when I brought home a silver CL bike because it wasn't pink! Wouldn't touch it. The next day, we tried again and she was okay with it.

We ended up showing her the different options and talking with her about how if she got the yellow or blue Hotrock (no red available this year) she could pass it down to the brothers when she was done with it - or when DS1 turns 4. She was ADAMANT about the "lello spider bike" and she loves that thing to pieces. Has your DD seen the pics of them? I think I almost drove DD crazy making her look at pics on CL and on the Specialized and Trek websites every day to see if she was consistent.

MommyofAmaya
07-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks for your help in making a decision. Amaya LOVES her bike and I am happy with the choices we made. And it just happens to be perfectly color coordinated. :p I knew the yellow wouldn't stand a chance after she saw the pink butterflies.

We offered the family with the pink Hotrock $80 and they accepted. So we have this bike. I didn't realize it is the current model:

http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/2009/bikes/8490-71_EL_HOT_16_G_pink_l.jpg

With this basket:
http://www.diapers.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?productId=51438

This helmet:
http://www.etoys.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4273035

Now if it would just stop raining so we can go try it out!

WatchingThemGrow
07-01-2010, 07:37 PM
omgosh, that is SO cute! I wish I'd found that basket first - as it would tie our yellow and pink together a lot better than this one http://www.amazon.com/Disney-DP71239-Princess-Basket/dp/B000H0ZFDA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1278027417&sr=8-1

I hope she enjoys it!

MommyofAmaya
07-01-2010, 08:06 PM
omgosh, that is SO cute! I wish I'd found that basket first - as it would tie our yellow and pink together a lot better than this one http://www.amazon.com/Disney-DP71239-Princess-Basket/dp/B000H0ZFDA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1278027417&sr=8-1

I hope she enjoys it!

It was only $5.99 at Target if the one you have "breaks". ;)

amandabea
07-01-2010, 08:58 PM
We offered the family with the pink Hotrock $80 and they accepted. So we have this bike. I didn't realize it is the current model:

http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/2009/bikes/8490-71_EL_HOT_16_G_pink_l.jpg

I love the bike - so cute! I checked my local Craigslist after I saw your post and I scored a 2007 girls 16" Hotrock for $60. It's not nearly as cute as this one, but it's purple, which is DD's favorite color these days!