PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite rewards' credit card?

SnuggleBuggles
06-27-2010, 09:42 PM
We keep meaning to sign up for a card that gets us some sort of rewards but haven't really explored all the choices out there. What do you love and why? Are there any bad experiences out there? Rewards that had so many terms and conditions that they wound up being useless?

Beth

LD92599
06-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Disney and TRU/BRU - both self explanatory!

However we mostly use our Amex Gold and hoard those points for airlines.

SnuggleBuggles
06-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks, Laura!

Any other recommendations?

Beth

luckytwenty
06-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Chase Freedom. No annual fee & you can redeem for cash. When you earn 200 points you can get a check for $250. You get double and triple points for certain categories, too.

ewpmsw
06-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Capital One No Hassle card.

garnetgirl
06-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Chase Freedom. No annual fee & you can redeem for cash. When you earn 200 points you can get a check for $250. You get double and triple points for certain categories, too.

I have Chase Freedom, too. I recently cashed in my $200 points balance and got my $250 check. Good thing I finally reached that balance, because I just saw that they're no longer offering that bonus.

I also have Chase Sapphire, because they offered a $100 bonus just for using it the first time. And on that card, they'll actually apply your bonus directly to your account balance if you like; I did that online.

Otherwise, I've used Discover for years. That has worked pretty well for getting gift cards with bonuses (spend $20 of your cashback balance and get a $25 giftcard, spend $40 and get $50, etc.). But I only do that with stores I know I'll be able to find things at (Gap; Staples; Marshalls; Bed Bath and Beyond to also use at Buy Buy Baby).

garnetgirl
06-28-2010, 03:27 PM
duplicate -- deleted

egoldber
06-28-2010, 03:32 PM
We have a United airlines mileage card. But we consolidate all our miles on one airline and DH is a very frequent flier, so it makes sense for us.

We consider the Disney one sometimes. but we often use our miles to go to WDW, so there you go. :)

clc053103
06-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Discover Miles (if you apply to soemthing they consider travel related, which seems to apply to even just restaurants, you get double the cash back you would on a regular card)

Disney Visa (ok, I did this for the $100 gift card incentive, but now I'm racking up points!)

I use them for convenience and not credit, so ADR not an issue. I like to put things on there that I would usually write a check for, like country club membership, to rack up points.

AnnieW625
06-28-2010, 03:48 PM
I have the Costco Amex Card (True Earnings) and it's free with my $50/yr. Costco membership. We get one refund a year and now I have heard that you can cash it out in the store, but we usually just use it and look at as a trip of free food or last year I used mine to buy a new Ipod.

DH also has the Jet Blue American Express Card and so we get free flights with that card, which in the 2 yrs. we've gotten one free round trip. When we first had the card the miles expired, but now I don't believe they do.

I also have the Citi Bank Diamond Preffered Card which has this program called Extra Cash from Citi which I have never used. I have $1500 in credits, which is really just discounts on things that you still have to pay for so I really don't want to do that because I am just spending more money on some things that I just may not even need. When I was in the branch paying my bill today though the teller told me that my card should be qualified for Thank You Rewards, which seem like typical rewards (she mentioned something like so many points for BRUS gift cards--had DD2 with me), but when I tried to logon to the site it didn't recognize my card so I need to call them up and see what's up.

kbud
06-28-2010, 06:25 PM
I researched this extensively a few years back. Hands down the best card IMO was American Express Blue Cash. Money Magazine also ranked it first. We get cash back once a year. We put everything on the card we can, bills etc. We also pay it in full every month. That's the key, it's no reward if you carry a balance. The % of cash back increases as your spending on the card does.

"Spend more than $6,500 on your Card and boost your earnings from 0.5% to 1.25% on every purchase you make. Plus, you can go from 1% to 5% on everyday items like groceries and gasoline"

The 5% on groceries and gas is really nice. We get that almost 9 months of the year. The "cash" is credited to you statement once a year. For us it's in Jan/Feb so it pretty much pays for x-mas.

http://www201.americanexpress.com/getthecard/learn-about/BlueCash

I find that Amex is taken just about everywhere now. We do have a Visa as a backup but we usually only spend about $100 or less a month on it.

lucybabymamma
06-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Capital One No Hassle card.

:yeahthat:

We have this one and like it cause no annual fee and it's easy to get cash back or cash toward ANY travel plans (we recently bought a $150 southwest card using our "miles").

KrisM
06-28-2010, 06:53 PM

:yeahthat: Me, too.