PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun: What kind of work do/did you do?

ha98ed14
06-28-2010, 12:23 AM
Just curious...

boltfam
06-28-2010, 12:26 AM
I'm a SAHM. Used to be an elementary school teacher - 5th grade.

vludmilla
06-28-2010, 12:28 AM
School/child psychologist. Used to be a program director at a non proft mental health agency. Prior to that I was a waitress and briefly, a dental assistant while in high school.

edurnemk
06-28-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm a chemical engineer, I used to work at a pharmaceutical company, in Quality Assurance at the manufacturing plant. After that I made a career change, still in pharma, but in the business area. Then I had DS and now I freelance for that company.

sunnyside
06-28-2010, 12:49 AM
3D graphics artist/software test engineer....

bluestarfish18
06-28-2010, 01:15 AM
Now, a SAHM. But was at SeaWorld, then a vet tech....so science?

octmom
06-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Higher Ed administration.

WatchingThemGrow
06-28-2010, 06:12 AM
Elementary teacher (K-3, mainly) for 12 years. Got my MEd in counseling, so I may go that route in the future, after the LOs start going to school.

klwa
06-28-2010, 06:35 AM
Civil Engineer here.

mommylamb
06-28-2010, 06:37 AM
My job is an odd hybrid, so I clicked both non profit and government law. I'm in the association world, but I do policy work and I work for elected officials.

KHF
06-28-2010, 07:22 AM
I checked Finance and Business/Corporate...what I really do is computer systems engineer for an Investment Advisory Firm. So, kind of both...but really neither :)

lizzywednesday
06-28-2010, 07:35 AM
I work in legal publishing, so I clicked both "Law & Gov't" and "Corporate" because I get the best of both of those worlds in my daily work life.

I've been with this company for almost 10 years, during which time the responsibilities associated with the position I have currently there have been slowly taken away and offshored to the Pacific. There's no reason someone needs a college degree to do the work I do and I've often joked that we should hire high school kids in shifts instead of wasting our time with BA's. I am actually quite serious about that. A trained monkey could probably do my job, as it requires no skill or knowledge beyond clicking a bunch of buttons. (Yeah, but I'm not bitter, right? Not as bitter as I was when they dissolved my team and demoted my teammates and I from our Editor positions to our Prod positions without meeting with us first, but, no, I'm not bitter.)

The company's going through another reorganization right now and morale is sinking, so it's hard to be positive. I struggle with that, because my seniority is the only thing allowing me to be mostly home-based to track care for my DD.

KrisM
06-28-2010, 07:42 AM
I am a SAHM and I was a NVH engineer. Not sure where to vote.

DietCokeLover
06-28-2010, 08:01 AM
I am a SAHM, a motel owner and a Child and Family Therapist.

caleymama
06-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Currently a SAHM but prior to that was Higher Ed Admin.

TonFirst
06-28-2010, 08:25 AM
I didn't vote I the poll - I was a lobbyist and did coalition/advocacy organizing for a major trade association. Now, I work in government in addition to being a SAHM.

newg
06-28-2010, 09:36 AM
SAHM now, use to be a elementary school teacher.

randomkid
06-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Physical Therapist.

lchang25000
06-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Currently a SAHM, used to be a Cardiac ICU RN. Sure glad I'm not doing that anymore!

brittone2
06-28-2010, 09:44 AM
Physical therapist pre kids (worked in early intervention specifically).

SAHM now.

luckytwenty
06-28-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm in marketing communications for an international corporation. We have sort of an in-house advertising agency and I brainstorm campaigns (online, print and events) and do all the writing. I also manage our social media strategies.

Corie
06-28-2010, 09:59 AM
I was a Home Ec teacher. :)

I am certified to teach Home Economics grades 6-12 and English grades 6-12.

(But the thought of grading all those composition papers really depressed me
so I went the Home Ec route.)

lizzywednesday
06-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Currently a SAHM, used to be a Cardiac ICU RN. Sure glad I'm not doing that anymore!

I just want to say that CICU nurses are awesome.

DD was in the P/CICU for her first 10 days; her nurses were wonderful. It takes a very special type of person to do that!

ast96
06-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Entertainment: television and film.

mom2binsd
06-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Speech Pathologist, currently in rehab/nursing homes, but 14 years in the schools and EI.

lchang25000
06-28-2010, 10:19 AM
I just want to say that CICU nurses are awesome.

DD was in the P/CICU for her first 10 days; her nurses were wonderful. It takes a very special type of person to do that!

Thank you. I just got burned out after a while since the work can not only be stressful, but physically and emotionally taxing. I admire those who can work there for many years and still enjoy it. I'm glad you had a great experience there.

daisymommy
06-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Child Psychologist. Also did some work with autism therapy.
After that I wanted something less stressful and taught preschool & Kindergarten, and was a preschool director. So much for less stressful! LOL!

When I became a SAHM I really thought I had hit the jack-pot on less stressful, you know, since I would be staying at home all day doing nothing but look at my baby laying there in his crib cooing sweetly to me :hysterical:

smilequeen
06-28-2010, 10:40 AM
I am on a 1 year break to be a SAHM with my kids while we transitioned to our new location, schools, etc. I am a dentist though and will be back part time in September probably.

Maggie'sMom
06-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Retail Manager

scrooks
06-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Civil Engineer here!

cvanbrunt
06-28-2010, 11:14 AM
College professor. Psychology Department and Neuroscience Program.

Carrots
06-28-2010, 11:52 AM
I didn't vote, but I was a 4th grade teacher for a local public school for 3 years right out of college. I completely burned out and left. After that I went into finance (not sure how I landed the job I had because I was SO green) and was there for 5 years.

Now I am a full time mom.

smiles33
06-28-2010, 12:02 PM
I clicked Law and the Education categories, since I'm a lawyer working at a law school but not teaching.

ThreeofUs
06-28-2010, 12:40 PM
I can't stand a career for more than a few years. :shrug:

I've been a research chemist, non-profit director, ER staff (hospital and ambulance), management consultant, IT systems administrator, and Chief Bottle Washer, among many other vocations.

Now I'm a SAHM with a tiny consulting business. I'm gearing up to switch to sustainability research and marketing for sustainability initiatives.

mikeys_mom
06-28-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm a chartered accountant (Cdn equivalent of a CPA) in public practice. I wasn't sure where to vote.

hillview
06-28-2010, 12:54 PM
I work in a software company and manage a team of 10 technical sales folks. I clicked corporate.
/hillary

american_mama
06-28-2010, 12:55 PM
I knew there were a lot, but I did not know just how many interesting jobs and career paths we had here!

swissair81
06-28-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm a SAHM, but I worked as an RN. I did Oncology & Hospice & also Labor and Delivery. Hoping to back to school at some point to be a nurse midwife.

trales
06-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Chemistry Professor at a Community College. I love it.

Jenn27
06-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Right now I'm a SAHM. I was an Environmental Consultant and am not sure what I want to do when I return to the workforce. Preferrably get a Masters degree first!

scmama
06-28-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm a SAHM for the next few months until my maternity leave runs out. I work as a 1:1 aide in special education at an elementary school. Pre-kids, I also was a preschool teacher.

ilfaith
06-28-2010, 01:45 PM
I wasn't sure of where to vote. I spent most of my career in magazine publishing, on both the editorial and marketing sides of the industry. I wrote for a real estate publication, worked for trade journals in a variety of industries, managed events for a bridal magazine, and even spent some time promoting conferences and their published proceedings for a not-for-profit scientific/medical association.

Now I am a SAHM trying to decide what to do with the rest of her life once the kids are all in school.

dotgirl
06-28-2010, 01:52 PM
I couldn't really reply because I didn't see an "IT/Tech/Internet/Etailer" option.

I'm a Lead Business Analyst for the website portion of a fairly well-known and high end retail store.

I've been doing it since before I had kids, and I really enjoy it.

ewpmsw
06-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Currently a SAHM. Formerly a Clinical Social Worker in the mental health field. Among other things.

MontrealMum
06-28-2010, 02:59 PM
I wasn't sure where to vote either, but voted "higher education". Mostly I currently WAH doing contract research, I also have a (very) PT job as an archivist. Supposed to be finished up my dissertation. Although I have taught, I am not currently doing so. I'm looking for something FT in Information Mgmt. but have had little luck finding something local, which I'm stuck with because I have a DH who is unprepared to move :irked:

SoloMelody
06-28-2010, 03:06 PM
software engineer...voted science...

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
06-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Civil Engineer here.

Yay! Me too!

--Jennifer

graciebellesmomma
06-28-2010, 04:13 PM
I was a Sales Rep for Calvin Klein Lingerie for 8 years, then a Sales Regional Manager for Rayban/Revo for a couple of years and my last job was Corporate Sale for Cingular Wireless. My accounts were Google, Sun, Apple, Silicon Graphics, WebX and more. It was when all the startups gave their employees the moon! Massages, gourmet food, and lots of parties. They always included me in the events and anytime I went to Google, I got a free massage. Weekly. Yeah, those were the days.

Those were the jobs that I worked to pay the bills, but the job that I did while I was working the "real" jobs was my passion. I worked for several film companies reading and evaluating scripts. It's the bottom of the barrel as far as entertainment jobs go, but I LOVED it! I love to read and to get paid to read was a dream come true.

I am a SAHM for the last 8 years, still read a few books and scripts a year. I dabble in children's photography and writing children's books. Not sure what I will be when I grow up, but I do love what I do now.

AngelaS
06-28-2010, 04:16 PM
I checked education. I was a nanny for 7 years--during and after college.

kijip
06-28-2010, 04:22 PM
I am in charge of development and communications for a non-profit anti-poverty advocacy and journalism project.

I also dabble with consulting work- basically some people hear about me word of mouth and call me up and pay me to do 1 of 2 things: set up their non-profit bookkeeping and financial management system or to coach them on how to raise money without barfing.

AnnieW625
06-28-2010, 04:24 PM
I had to vote for 2 because I am an insurance adjuster for a government agency. Prior to working in the insurance side of government, where I have been for almost 7 yrs. I did home loans for California veterans (http://www.cdva.ca.gov) for 4 years.

ha98ed14
06-28-2010, 04:26 PM
I checked education. I was a nanny for 7 years--during and after college.

I think that Ed totally fits for you because you are a dedicated homeschooler, which probably takes up a ton of space in your brain; at least as much as having a paid job.

nicoleandjackson
06-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Pre-DS, I worked in marketing and product development--4yrs. at a doll company, a short stint at FTD, then 4yrs. at a candle and home decor company. Threw it all out the window to work at DS's daycare as a teacher float while I went back to school full time for elementary education. Got a good job lined up in time for DH to announce that we were moving out of state *sigh*. Now I haven't gotten the kinks worked out of my new cert. to look for a job, so I've been substitute teaching for the past three years. I'm taking the next year off to SAH with new DD. *Whew!*

TwinFoxes
06-28-2010, 05:21 PM
No media/journalism option so I didn't vote. :(

Jelly Bean
06-28-2010, 05:28 PM
I manage a sales and account management team at a management consulting firm. :dizzy:

fumofu
06-28-2010, 06:04 PM
I voted science - was in a PhD program in molecular biology. Almost done, but didn't finish. Then DH and I got married, and got pregnant right after. So technically, I haven't worked at all yet! But will be looking into work (staying in biology research academia or industry) after DS is born.

mom_hanna
06-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Not sure where I would fit so I did not vote - I was in Marketing, Merchandising and Advertising for a large retail company at their headquarters. Now I am a SAHM.

army_mom
06-28-2010, 09:18 PM
such a wide range of jobs on here!

Government for me.

I also seem to switch job fields every few years. I was administrative for a few years, then a lab tech for a few more, and now I am a helicopter pilot and fly attack helicopters. All in the Army, so at least that is consistent!

lmwbasye
06-28-2010, 11:23 PM
I taught Kindergarten for 6 years and now am a SAHM. I was pushed out of my job in an odd way and haven't gone back for various reasons so far.

I'm now in this weird place where I REALLY miss teaching and am terrified to stay out of the career field, but also can't imagine not being home with my kiddos. My certification expires at the end of this coming school year and I am staying home. Not sure how hard it is to get it back, so my stomach is a bit in knots over it. But I know that in the end, I won't regret having more time with my children. Plus, we are TTC #3.