PDA

View Full Version : She likes Twilight, what are other suggestions?

infocrazy
06-28-2010, 01:42 AM
My cousin is on hopefully long-term bedrest at 29 wks. She just started reading the twilight series and is loving it. I'd like to send her some other books for when she finishes (she is flying through them).

I've never read the Twilight stuff, but any suggestions for another series? Or any individual books too.

TIA!

bluestarfish18
06-28-2010, 01:43 AM
Those books are like crack. Try the Sookie Stackhouse books next, by Charlaine Harris.

wellyes
06-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Sookie Stackhouse is super-fun.

Diane Gabaldon's series is similar to Twilight in being slightly supernatural with an overdose of very mushy romance.

If she doesn't mind gore and wants something a little more meaty I loved George RR Martin's "A Song of Fire and Ice" series. Big fat complex engrossing books, perfect for bedrest. But very violent and dark. HBO series coming in a few months.

Melaine
06-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Sookie for sure. I also like the Mercy Thompson series: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mercy+thompson&x=0&y=0

lizzywednesday
06-28-2010, 08:15 AM
Another vote for Sookie. I also like the Aurora Teagarden books by Charlaine Harris, but IDK if someone would consider them repetitive after reading Sookie.

Also in the vampire vein, IMO, the first 3 Anne Rice "Vampire Chronicles" books are fun reads. Dated, for sure, but fun nonetheless.

For fantasy reads, The Mists of Avalon is a good stand-alone (technically, it's part of a series, but the prequels are super-derivative, so you can probably skip them) by Marion Zimmer Bradley. I've misplaced my copy, so it might be going on the "re-buy" list.

I also liked the "Earth's Children" books by Jean Auel, even though Clan of the Cave Bear has a few scenes involving the main character that are fairly violent and disturbing. They have a lot of mysticism and anthropological speculation, which is fun (kind of like the Quilute legends Jake scoffs at in the 1st book) but also some concrete research and real places. Amazing books, really.

Hope this helps you get started!

Melaine
06-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Liz, have you read the Lily Bard and Harper Connelly books also by Harris? The Lily Bard ones I think are my favorite of all her books. ETA: Some of these are quite a bit darker than Twilight, so might not quite be what OP is looking for.

fivi2
06-28-2010, 08:54 AM
I just have to say, I would not give A Song of Fire and Ice series to a pregnant woman on bedrest! I did enjoy the first few books in the series, but they are very dark, and very depressing, which would have been terrible for me when I was on bedrest. (They are good books). I personally needed things fairly light and fluffy!

I liked War for the Oaks by Emma Bull in the supernatural with a bit of romance area...

There are other threads on this topic - I don't have time to search now, but I will later!

wellyes
06-28-2010, 09:13 AM
I just have to say, I would not give A Song of Fire and Ice series to a pregnant woman on bedrest! I did enjoy the first few books in the series, but they are very dark, and very depressing, which would have been terrible for me when I was on bedrest. (They are good books). I personally needed things fairly light and fluffy!

Heh, that's fair. It came to mind to me because I read them while I was pregnant with DD. But I did wonder if I was somehow scarring her in utero during a few of the worst bits.

crl
06-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Love Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson and companion Alpha and Omega books.

Also Ilona Andrews' Magic series with Kate Daniels as the protagonist.

Sharon Shinn has a good series too, Mystic and the Rider is one of the books.

I like Anne Bishop's Black Jewel trilogy plus too, but they are very, very dark.

If she would like something more, ummmm, grown-up, J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood is good.

If she likes young adult (I do!) Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series, the Morganville Vampire series by Rachel Caine and the Vampire Academy series are good. I love Lois Bujold's The Sharing Knife series BUT there is a miscarriage int he first book so probably NOT a good choice for a woman on bedrest.

My personal first pick would be Patricia Briggs, my first pick for someone who loves Twilight would be the Vampire Academy series(most similar to me).

Babymakes3
06-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Definitely send her The Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins! There is a 3rd book coming out in the series called Mockingjay too.
I loved the Twilight series and couldn't put it down, it was the same with Hunger Games
!

lizzywednesday
06-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Liz, have you read the Lily Bard and Harper Connelly books also by Harris? The Lily Bard ones I think are my favorite of all her books. ETA: Some of these are quite a bit darker than Twilight, so might not quite be what OP is looking for.

Yes, I've read the Lily Bard books and LOVE them, though ITA that they aren't exactly light reading! Lily is Ms. Charlaine's darkest character.

geochick
06-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Another vote for Outlander (series) by Gabaldon.

wellyes
06-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Oooh, I liked Hunger Games too. DH read them after I was done, and he's not a reader usually.

I'll have to try Charlaine Harris's Lily Bard books. I tried the Harper Connelly ones but they lack the best thing about the Sookie books (IMO): the humor.

caleymama
06-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Another vote for Charlaine Harris. Love the Sookie series but I also like the others of hers that I've read too (Lily Bard, Harper Connelly, Aurora Teagarden).

If she hasn't read Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books, those would be good too (no vamps, though!).

These are like Twilight at all, but I've been breezing through Sue Grafton's books, starting with A is for Alibi. I'm on E right now.