PDA

View Full Version : Please explain Crocs to me

TwoBees
06-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Why are they so popular? I personally don't think they are that aesthetically pleasing. But it seems like everyone has them. What makes them so great?

lizzywednesday
06-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Comfort. They may look like clown shoes, but, darn it, they're comfortable!

I have a pair of orange Mario Batali ones for the kitchen because I don't have time to measure for a gel mat.

They came in especially handy while I was pregnant and needed to cook in the mornings before I put my shoes on for the day.

ast96
06-28-2010, 10:11 AM
I don't wear them, but my kids do. You can rinse them out, they double as water shoes, easy on and off, relatively cheap, fit for a long time, go over injuries to the toe well... over time, I have grown to appreciate them.

Andi98989
06-28-2010, 10:11 AM
I have 2 pairs right now and no one ever realizes that they're Crocs. I think most people tend to think Crocs = the Beach clog, but they don't. I have these in two different colors and live in them all summer long. They're super comfortable.

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aadb_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-crocs_us-Site/Sites-masterCatalog_Images/default/v1277728117176/product-images/standard/10043_side_41V.jpg

wellyes
06-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Hideous but insanely comfortable. More comfortable than bare feet. They are the only shoe I can wear all day (8.5 month pregnant) without having aching legs at night.

Like the PP, the pair I wear aren't the worst-looking clogs. They're semi-cute.

DD wears a pair too. This weekend she went to a birthday party whose primary game was "jump in mud puddles". Shoes wiped right off afterwards & looked like new.

ehlana06
06-28-2010, 10:20 AM
I've never been a big fan of crocs either. I also never found them very comfortable at all. I've only worn the clog type though.

salsah
06-28-2010, 10:22 AM
i don't wear them myself and never liked them either (aesthetically). but i finally gave in for the kids when i needed something that dd could slip on by herself (but that wouldn't fall off of her feet like slippers might). they started out as backyard shoes for her. but then i realized that they would be great for the pool. and i love that the kids can keep them on in the shower and then we just dry out the inside with the towel and don't need a change of shoes. (flip flops could work too but dd1 hates wearing flip flops.)
they must be comfortable because dd2 likes to wear them more than any other.

buddyleebaby
06-28-2010, 10:28 AM
I actually find them to be kind of uncomfortable but my kids don't seem bothered by them. We wear them because we spend the summer at the beach or in and out of the yard. Just easier to have a shoe you can get wet and slip on and off as needed.
My little one still wears sandals.

o_mom
06-28-2010, 10:30 AM
For me it is comfort. They are one of the two pair of shoes I own that don't bother my plantar faciitis. They are also very wide and wide shoes are hard to find (which really helps the comfort).

For the kids - they can put them on by themselves, doesn't matter if they get wet and they can be washed easily. ETA: and I have a thing about flip-flops.

smilequeen
06-28-2010, 10:36 AM
I don't like them for adults personally, but some of them are not that bad. I have other shoes that I think are far more comfy and much cuter.

On kids, I think they are kind of cute and they are easy. I think they are better than flip flops and we use them on those occasions (pool, sandbox, etc). The boys may also wear them at Disney next week. For just walking they are super comfy for them.

scrooks
06-28-2010, 10:49 AM
I like that DD can put them on herself!

DH recently bought his first pair and uses them out in the yard for watering and tending to the plants. He loves that he can just hose off his feet. I expect he will wear them to the beach too.

brittone2
06-28-2010, 10:50 AM
I don't wear them but I think they are the perfect summer shoes for my kids. Great for the beach, camping, outdoor play, easy to hose off, toes are somewhat protected (vs. something like a flip flop or open-toed sandal), inexpensive (we buy knock offs most of the time). Easy on/off.

nov04
06-28-2010, 11:12 AM
For me it is comfort. They are one of the two pair of shoes I own that don't bother my plantar faciitis. They are also very wide and wide shoes are hard to find (which really helps the comfort).

me too. I wear Clarks sandals to work though

infomama
06-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Hideous but insanely comfortable. More comfortable than bare feet.
:yeahthat:. The clogs are awful on adults, IMO. I have one pair of mary janes. They are great for camping and on long walking days (disney).

MissyAg94
06-28-2010, 11:24 AM
I dunno. I think they are dreadfully ugly and we don't wear them. ;)

lmwbasye
06-28-2010, 11:27 AM
I love them for the kids for several reasons: comfort, easy on, easy off, and I can hose them down and they're dry very quickly. Great for the backyard!

The kids jumped in the pool with their clothes on the other day and they (thank goodness) had their crocs on...no big deal.

We mostly just use them for in the back. Every once in awhile the boys will wear them out of the house.

infomama
06-28-2010, 11:28 AM
You guys have to see this. Be careful on escalators.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99TtZHgxwCE&feature=related

TwinFoxes
06-28-2010, 12:10 PM
I think on kids they're cute. I'll leave it at that. ;)

slworld
06-28-2010, 12:23 PM
You can rinse them out, they double as water shoes, easy on and off, relatively cheap, fit for a long time, go over injuries to the toe well... over time, I have grown to appreciate them.

:yeahthat:

Smillow
06-28-2010, 12:37 PM
I find that if my feet get wet, they slide all over inside the shoe, which seems really dangerous. Anyone else notice this?

clc053103
06-28-2010, 01:44 PM
DS wears them all summer- he has very wide feet and I have not been able to find a water shoe or sandal that fit his feet (even Keens left him with huge welts). Crocs always fit, and like PP's said you can wash them off, put them in the dishwasher, and they are cheap enough to have multiple pairs.

I love my Crocs Capri flip flops- awesome shoes for Disney.

But I wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of Crocs Caymans.

ewpmsw
06-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Not a fan of the way Crocs look, but am loving the knock-offs I have while pg. They're not the clog style, just a strapless slip-on from Land's End. I like that I can just toss them in the wash when they get too dusty or smelly. The nurses I used to work with all wore them and I get it now.

Andi98989
06-28-2010, 03:04 PM
I just saw someone at lunch wearing these ... I do not understand the appeal

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

infomama
06-28-2010, 03:06 PM
I just saw someone at lunch wearing these ... I do not understand the appeal

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/
At lunch?? I though these were shoes for surfers and the like. Yuck.

egoldber
06-28-2010, 03:07 PM
LOL!!! DH has those and loves them. I think they are freaky! I call them his gorilla feet. :hysterical:

I have Crocs Caymans (the horror!!! ;) ) and I wear them in the yard for gardening, water play, etc. I also wear them at WDW, but that's about it. My kids love that we all have matching shoes. :)

My kids love them. I am less enamored these days since older DD sprained her knee a few weeks ago running in hers. I am trying to encourage her to wear shoes that provide more ankle support now. I think I may have to pry them off younger DD's feet when she outgrows her current pair. It is all she wants to wear.

DietCokeLover
06-28-2010, 03:18 PM
I wear these all the time (in much cuter colors). I love how comfortable they are and they give more support than regular flip flops.

http://www.crocs.com/crocs-athens/10024,default,pd.html?cid=060&cgid=women-footwear-flip-flops

SunCB
06-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Love mine which are the ones with just the 2 straps across the top of the foot. Looked at the Mary Janes but never in my size when I have looked. 1 of the few pairs of shoes I do not need to have an arch support in and I love I can take them in the water. This is probably my 3rd summer with them now.

My kids got some bc SIL2 got them. DS1 wears his know that he tried them on since his tennis shoes were dirty and has worn then several times now but before he had to wear them he did not want to touch them. DS2 cannot wear his as they are to big do maybe next summer. DD only wears hers when we are headed to a water activity as she typically is in soft soled shoes or bare foot.

Saw a couple of guards with the shoes with the 5 toes. My brother said how they are better for us bc it is like being bare foot but with protection. I have actually thought about trying some for myself though I do not care for the look really. I want something I will keep on in the house and if have to run outside for something my foot is protected as I am usually bare foot at home.

Indianamom2
06-28-2010, 03:27 PM
I am very selective about which crocs I will wear. With the kids...whatever they like and can put on themselves!

I will say, I find that almost all crocs knock-offs are not as comfy. I have extremely tender feet. Almost ever shoe (even some flip-flops) give me terrible blisters. Crocs have yet to do that. I can also wear them if we're going to be doing a ton of walking (zoo, Disney, etc...)

I just bought these in my size at Big Lots for $10:

http://www.crocs.com/crocs-patricia/10386,default,pd.html?cid=22H&cgid=women-footwear

I actually like how they look on and they feel awesome (tons of support).

I also like the way these look and am tempted to order them:

http://www.crocs.com/crocs-cleo/10043,default,pd.html?cid=282&cgid=women-footwear

They are practically indestructable, which is nice too. Yes, most of them are ugly, but for working outside or wearing around the house, they feel great.

oneontheway
06-28-2010, 03:30 PM
DH has orthopedic issues with his heels and the orthopedic surgeon actually recommended he wear them because of the sole. Ever since I have worn them as house shoes/slippers and I can stand for hours in them without having sore feet.