PDA

View Full Version : I was in the ER yesterday possible Diverticulitis... caution TMI

ehlana06
06-28-2010, 11:12 AM
So Saturday night right before bed I began to feel cramping in my abdomen and back. I didn't think much of it as it is right around the time that I should be ovulating and I always cramp a little from that. When I woke up in the morning though I felt even worse. Here comes the TMI.... I went to the restroom and noticed that there was blood and a lot of it and it wasn't from my period or even from that area if you get my gist. Well I decided that I better skip church and go to the ER. After about 4 hours of blood work, various tests and x-rays that determined that I either have an internal hemorrhoid or Diverticulitis. I have to get a colonoscopy done to make sure. If it's diverticulitis I am going to have to start on some pretty heavy duty antibiotics which means I cannot nurse while on the meds. Also they said that if it is a more severe case I may have to have it corrected with surgery.

Now here comes the point to my post. How should I handle this?? I has anyone here had to stop nursing due to meds and if so did you just switch to formula or try to keep your supply up. I will be taking the actual pills for ten days but I'm not sure how long I would have to stop nursing.

Also from my research, Diverticulosis is a life long disease where I am going to have to really watch my diet and not consume things such as nuts, seeds, anything with shells like peas and I can not eat lettuce. If you have this disease have have you handled it? Are flair ups usually frequent? I really HATE antibiotics. Am I going to be on them alot? Is this a genetic disease? What causes this? Actually any info or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I read that this disease is most common in people over 50 and rather rare for anyone younger than that. I'm 26 WTH!!!! I've always felt more mature for my age but sheesh I thought that was just a mental quality! I'm really getting fed up with my body. :banghead:

infomama
06-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Oh my gosh. I hope your OK!!

I only have a sec so I'll comment on the nursing aspect. I had to stop nursing when Dd1 had bloody poops and we were trying to figure out what it was (they all thought allergy--loooooong story). Anyhoo...I kept pumping and freezing my milk (you would dump I assume b/c of the meds) but if I was in your shoes I would keep pumping. I never gave up and in the end I had no choice but to keep my dd on formula. It broke my heart...even told the doc that *I* would drink the formula so she could nurse. I still remember the day I 'lost' all that milk...over 700oz (no banks near me)...tragic.

They will be able to tell you how long the medication will be in your milk.

elektra
06-28-2010, 12:14 PM
I hope you feel better soon.

♥ms.pacman♥
06-28-2010, 01:52 PM
my mom had diverticulitis a few years back, when she was like 55 or so. i think she did the antibiotics plus avoided meats and things with tons of fiber, and ate a lot of bland foods for a month or two.. she completely recovered and had no issues since. i had no idea that diverticulitis was a "lifelong disease"...my mom eats whatever now (salads, etc) and has no issues.

MamaMolly
06-28-2010, 02:12 PM
DH had diverticulitis and other bowel problems that came to a head in 2006. After about a year of off-and-on again dibilitating pain and several colonoscopies DH got really sick with a bowel obstruction. It was cleared up with high doses of antibiotics, but he spent a week in the hospital each time. I think the first year DD was born he was in the hospital 5 times, a week each time. Poor DH!

In the end his gastro doctor recommended surgery for a bowel resection. The idea is to remove the damaged parts of the colon. I was in a STATE about this because some of the complications are scary and for us it would mean that DH could no longer do his job. Complications such as a colostomy would be more than just adapting our lives to the 'bag' because of the nature of DH's work (law enforcement).

But DH was suffering to the point he thought the risks were worth getting the chance to feel better. He is very stoic about the big illnesses, I don't know how he managed to suffer as long as he did. I also pushed for laproscopic surgery (tiny incision) and was put out when the old-school surgeon (the gastro) pretty much said tough luck, he doesn't do surgery that way. He was going to open DH sternum to pelvis and root around.

I truly thank God that he did. He found a non-cancerous mass the size of a man's fist in DH's colon. It was scar tissue that continually caused bowel obstructions and then got infected. Had he not opened up DH he wouldn't have found it. DH came through the surgery with a battle scar that looks like he lost a round to Zorro, but is able to (and chooses to ;)) eat anything. His guts are absolutely fine. Aside from being fat. :)

ewpmsw
06-28-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm sorry that I can't speak to the BFing part of your post. My mother has had bowel issues all her life and was diagnosed with diverticulitis (-losis? I can't recall) about 10 years ago when she was in her late 40's. She had to have surgery to remove some bowel and has been much better since then thanks to diet changes. A note about the diet: She has not had to give up fruits with seeds, nuts, etc and continues to eat them all the time. When we go out to eat, most times she gets a salad as a meal and loves the ones with strawberries, oranges and nuts. She has had to increase the amount of fiber and water she consumes, and was encouraged to cut back on processed food. (Her doctor fussed about the frozen lunches she brought to work, so now she's a veggie soup and apple eater every day.) Gas and occasional flare ups do cause some pain, but she is significantly improved since the operation and diet changes.

I'm sorry you're in so much pain and hope that you find some relief and treatment that works ASAP. Good luck!