PDA

View Full Version : Need Help: How to teach about money (very basic)

ThreeofUs
06-28-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm starting to teach DS1 (late, admittedly) about coins and money. I'm not sure I'm getting through....

He has all his numbers and is great about counting and adding. But a penny versus a nickel? He just doesn't get it.

How did you start and what tools did you use?

brittone2
06-28-2010, 02:13 PM
It sounds like he has the toughest part down :)

I'm not big on using computer games with DS, but there is an iPod touch app we have used w/ DS for counting coins that is cool. It also has a section on coin identification.

We have "Coin Crazy" and "Coin Math". I prefer one vs. the other but I don't have the touch in front of me...just looking at our app list on the laptop.

Kumon has some books with counting money, and we covered it w/ Singapore too.

You could probably make just a simple identification game up or use something like a montessori 3 part card system. Make one card up with the coin picture, "worth" and name on one card. Then make a 3 part card with 3 separate parts...coin name, pic of coin, and value. So it is a "self checking" setup he can practice with?

MamaKath
06-28-2010, 03:04 PM
In school (K and 1st) when I teach money, I always get out coins for my class that are real in addition to play ones. Here are some ways we play and learn:
*We count out coins, grouping like coins together, learning the values, then learning counting on.
*We do nickel plus pennies, then dime plus pennies, etc. It helps if they know how to count by fives and tens if you are expecting them to count them.
*This year I printed some pictures out online and had them color the coins, then match them with their number value and their written name (picture, 1 cent, penny) and made little booklets.
*We played store where they had to count out coins to buy things (treasure box/party supply stuff) with random prices.

Now for the bad side. Some kids are not developmentally ready to get coins. Some of my smartest math students don't "get" it. Time too. So practice, find fun ways to play, but don't panic if it doesn't immediately click.

Oh and allowances can be a fun way to learn about money also. Dave Ramsey and others also have ideas for teaching the kids the value of money down the road (I know Thrivent Financial has a kids program too) when they start having some and need to learn the practicalities of it. Something to think about, especially if he gets it immediately! :)

GL~

infomama
06-28-2010, 03:05 PM
We just used actual coins and worked with her until it clicked. Little bits each day and finally she said, 'oooooo...I get it!'
Patience paid off.

DrSally
06-28-2010, 03:22 PM
I'll be watching this. I think our local teacher store has placemats with money/coin denominations on it.

MamaKath
06-28-2010, 03:27 PM
I'll be watching this. I think our local teacher store has placemats with money/coin denominations on it.
Your local dollar store might have stickers like this too. I found them and put them onto construction paper with other things (writers checklist, alphabet strip, etc) and then laminated them.

ThreeofUs
06-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Great ideas! Thank you all so much!

I've felt like I'm all thumbs while trying to teach this, so I'm going to try all of these in short bursts.

Really appreciate the insights. Thanks again.

kijip
06-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Try playing store. Get 10 items, price them 1 cent-$1 and take turns buying and making change. When he get good with 1, 5, 10 and 25 cents, change the prices to 28 cents, 62 cents, 76 cents (or whatever odd amounts) to give him some addition practice (totaling the amount for several items and then making change from $1).

kijip
06-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Also, can he count by 5s and 10s? This skill helps a lot for money. If he can, point out that 5 is a nickel and 10 is a dime and have him count 10 cents, 20 cents etc.