PDA

View Full Version : Balloon Animals

LAMom
06-28-2010, 04:04 PM
My 2 year old loves them, and I wanted to see if I can learn to make them for his birthday party next month (don't really want to hire someone for this). Is it hard to learn how to make a few basic ones or is it pretty straightforward?

zoestargrove
06-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Browsing the other day at Michaels and I noticed that Klutz has a book on making balloon animals. I think it came with the pump and some balloons.

crispychicky
06-28-2010, 04:22 PM
It looks like there are some good how-to's on youtube. I did a search on 'how to make balloon animals' and got 866 videos.

I've never done it, but guess it would be pretty straight foward. Sounds like fun!

tiapam
06-28-2010, 04:25 PM
You could probably find some books at the library or maybe some online videos. I just found a ton of info online by Googling:

balloon animals choking hazard

But I wouldn't do it for a 2 YO's bday party, as latex balloons can be a choking hazard. Sorry to be a killjoy, but I couldn't relax at the party while worrying about that. So I wouldn't let them loose at a party with small children, especially if they still mouth a lot of things.

LAMom
06-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the answers! Now that I think about it, maybe balloons are not a good choice if there are going to be a lot of kids running around and it will be hard to supervise on the choking hazard. Maybe I can just do balloon animals for my boy, another time :)

WatchingThemGrow
06-28-2010, 06:05 PM
maybe face painting? We did it at DD's 3rd bday.

ett
06-28-2010, 06:08 PM
It's not hard at all. I got a kit on clearance at TRU that came with a pump, balloons, and instructions. The balloons weren't any good so I ordered some better ones online. There are tons of instructions online and I also checked out a couple books from the library. You can get really fancy with them but the basic ones are not too hard. You definitely don't need to hire someone for it. DS2 is crazy about balloons so we've been making a lot of them this past week.

But I agree with PPs that it would not be good for a 2yo birthday party because of the choking hazard since I've definitely had balloons pop.

hillview
06-28-2010, 06:48 PM
At a recenty party balloons were popping all the time. I agree with pp that it isn't a great idea for a 2 yo party. SORRY.
/hillary