PDA

View Full Version : First Aid question............

newg
06-28-2010, 08:14 PM
DD burned her left pointer finger on Sunday, right around the knuckle area.............brushed up against a hot pan just used for pancakes.....

We put it under cold water right away......and then later on I filled the sink with ice water and we played for about 1/2hr in the water. She still got a white blister on the finger though (which I think means it's a second degree burn)

My question is..........what can I put on the burn/blister besides Neosporen?? The finger is one (of two) that she puts in her mouth to suck on, and I don't want to put anything on it that can't go in her mouth.
Is there anything safe I can be applying to the wound to help with healing and/or keeping germs out.......or are we stuck with just soap and water.

It seems to be healing, except for the fact that the blister is starting to open up because of her sucking on the finger, and I really don't want it to get infected..........I think I am going to call the ped. tomorrow, but just wanted to get some opinions on here too!!!

Thanks!!

hillview
06-28-2010, 08:20 PM
I'd put a bandaid on it.
/hillary

edurnemk
06-28-2010, 08:21 PM
I don't know if this will work so long after the actual burn, but you can put egg whites on it, it leaves a sort of film when it dries. Egg whites have collagen (I think that's it) which helps reconstruct the damaged skin. I've done this several times, right after burning a finger and I never get a white blister, it also helps soothe area. Maybe it would still work today.

My dermatologist totally Ok'd this method BTW, he's the one who explained why it worked.

Dr C
06-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Poor gal! I got a similar burn on my hand many years ago and it really hurt! Sounds like you did absolutely right as far as first aid goes. You may want to give her some ibuprofen or acetaminophen for pain.
Plain old vaseline may help protect it a bit and is certainly safe if she puts it in her mouth. Your ped can give you a rx for some silvadene cream but I'm not sure I'd want her putting that in her mouth... so if it seems to be healing up ok without it, I'd probably skip it. FWIW my 2nd degree burn healed up fine and I'm pretty sure I didn't put anything on it (I was in college at the time and our medicine cabinet was not exactly well stocked).
Try not to worry too much--it's actually pretty unlikely to get infected. If you notice it getting increasingly red, swollen or painful at any time, definitely call your ped. But I bet it'll heal up just fine no matter what you do.
Hugs, mama!

newg
06-28-2010, 08:32 PM
I don't know if this will work so long after the actual burn, but you can put egg whites on it, it leaves a sort of film when it dries. Egg whites have collagen (I think that's it) which helps reconstruct the damaged skin. I've done this several times, right after burning a finger and I never get a white blister, it also helps soothe area. Maybe it would still work today.

My dermatologist totally Ok'd this method BTW, he's the one who explained why it worked.

raw egg whites or cooked?? She loves eggs so that may make her put the fingers in her mouth even more!!!

edurnemk
06-28-2010, 08:35 PM
raw egg whites or cooked?? She loves eggs so that may make her put the fingers in her mouth even more!!!

Raw. Rub some on the area and let it dry. You can reapply as often as necessary. However if she likes to put it in her mouth, I'd put a bandaid over it after it dries, I don't think raw egg whites would be healthy for her.

m448
06-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Yellow mustard is amazing. Acts like a poultice and makes the pain go away.

daisymommy
06-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Aloe Vera gel is one of the most highly rec. treatments for burns, and it is safe for ingestion. Make sure it is pure aloe gel (not that Solarcaine after sun gel stuff).

newg
06-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Aloe Vera gel is one of the most highly rec. treatments for burns, and it is safe for ingestion. Make sure it is pure aloe gel (not that Solarcaine after sun gel stuff).

Ohhhhhhh good one!!! i don't know why I didn't think of this!!:duh: