PDA

View Full Version : 2 body-related questions

PMJ
06-28-2010, 08:44 PM
1) I should have posted this in the last one, but just completely forgot until it started hurting. I am EBF - my DD who is now 8.5 months old. About 2 days ago, my Right breast has started hurting a lot. Hmm, how can I explain it -- pulsating feeling (sometimes when she is not bf and sometimes when she is). It hurts a LOT. Should I be worried about this? Also, why is DD pulling on my nipple so hard. OUCH

2) Anyone ever had contact dermatitis? My doc said that is what I might have on my hands b/c there is a lot of peeling and stuff going on. It hurts really bad too b/c the top layers of skin have come off and they even bleed some times. It's some of my fingertips and on my right palm.

I'm falling apart!!

SunCB
06-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Is there a chance you could be preggo? Clogged duct maybe? Is you breast hot to touch compared to normal (infection)? Something may not be right and that is why she is pulling off or you could just be more sensitive now so you notice it more (DD cracked 1 of mine and when she pulls off w/out letting the suction go first I am in pain).

My kids have had contact dermatitis but I have washed them and it has gone away. End up w/eczema later. DD had banana all over and her chest light up bright red but then I gave her a bath and it went away that evening. Sorry no more help there.

essnce629
06-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Do you have a fever or any other body aches? I'm EBF too and in January one of my breasts started hurting really bad while we were at the movie theater. A few hours later though I had a fever and felt sick. I had mastitis. I think it took about 48 hours to get over it. I didn't go to the doctor or anything as antibiotics are no longer recommended as long as things start getting better on their own after 24 hours. I did lots of hot compresses with my flaxseed pack and pumped between nursing sessions as well.

A few weeks ago my other breast started hurting also, but this time I had no fever, body aches, or any other symptoms. I'm pretty sure it was a blocked duct. My nipple was pretty sore too (I also thought about pregnancy symptoms but it was just one sided). It went away on it's own after a few days and lots of nursing/pumping.

Here's some info on the differences between mastitis and blocked ducts as well as the treatments: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

WolfpackMom
06-29-2010, 08:35 AM
Do you have a fever or any other body aches? I'm EBF too and in January one of my breasts started hurting really bad while we were at the movie theater. A few hours later though I had a fever and felt sick. I had mastitis. I think it took about 48 hours to get over it. I didn't go to the doctor or anything as antibiotics are no longer recommended as long as things start getting better on their own after 24 hours. I did lots of hot compresses with my flaxseed pack and pumped between nursing sessions as well.

I also had mastisis and it is awful! Do you have red streaking on the side of your breast. is is harder in one area? Does it hurt when you move your arm or even lightly touch it? Don't go longer than 24hrs with symptoms like a fever etc because masitisis untreated can turn into a cyst that would have to be surgically drained. Home methods did not work for me and a rapidly went to the fever, chills etc stage and needed antibiotics. It took several days for symptoms to go away treated by both home remedies such as hot compresses etc. and antibiotics (4-5).

MamaKath
06-29-2010, 08:41 AM
1) I should have posted this in the last one, but just completely forgot until it started hurting. I am EBF - my DD who is now 8.5 months old. About 2 days ago, my Right breast has started hurting a lot. Hmm, how can I explain it -- pulsating feeling (sometimes when she is not bf and sometimes when she is). It hurts a LOT. Should I be worried about this? Also, why is DD pulling on my nipple so hard. OUCH

2) Anyone ever had contact dermatitis? My doc said that is what I might have on my hands b/c there is a lot of peeling and stuff going on. It hurts really bad too b/c the top layers of skin have come off and they even bleed some times. It's some of my fingertips and on my right palm.

I'm falling apart!!
1. sounds like a plugged duct or mastitis to me. You can go in a warm shower and try to massage that breast downward to see if that helps. Otherwise go see your ob about a possible infection.

2. Could be contact dermatitis, could also be a skin fungus. I would see a dermatologist.

karstmama
06-29-2010, 11:48 AM
another thought for owie #1 is yeast. does dc have any signs of thrush? is it a deep painful tingle? give your care provider a call if so, you both might need treatment.