PDA

View Full Version : Keep your darn dog in your yard!!

wendibird22
06-28-2010, 09:07 PM
There's nothing that irks me more than an irresponsible pet owner. A woman who lives the next street over (on a fairly busy road...at least in this small town) has at least 3 dogs. Very nice dogs. A chocolate lab and 2 irish setters. Unfortunately they are constantly loose. Just a few weeks ago both setters were running our neighborhood and she's driving all over the place trying to track them down and then get them in the car and they wanted nothing to do with her. But that's not the big problem. The big problem is the lab who gets loose at least every other week. And this dog LOVES water. And gunk. And he also loves playing with my dog who is on an invisible fence. So this lab gets all sorts of muddy and sludgy and disgusting then comes to my yard and romps around with my dog who gets absolutely filthy. So dirty that we can't even bring him inside to bathe him we have to hose him off outside. Tonight the lab chased my dog into our garage and got mud and scum all over the garage and our 2 newly washed cars and all over the siding of our garage (which we just had the house power washed last month). A few weeks ago I was home alone with both DDs who I had to try to supervise while also trying to shampoo my dog off outside.

If this happened once in a while I'd be ticked. But it happens at least monthly and I'm pi$$ed. DH and I agreed that next time we are calling animal control. If you can't be a responsible pet owner you don't deserve them!

ShanaMama
06-28-2010, 09:19 PM
You can certainly call animal control but also try the non emergency police precinct number. This sounds like it's really out of hand. A talking to from an officer or maybe even a summons might help this lady learn some ettiquette. (sp?)
My next door neighbor- the house is not 10 feet off my property line- was letting their dog run loose. We tried talking to them but nothing changed so the next time we saw it loose we called the police & landlord. My kids were terrified to go outside, the dog had chased a little girl & playfully attacked a little boy. I feel badly for the dog who is now almost always on a leash on the porch. However, if you have no gated yard or means of containment, perhaps you should think twice before getting a dog.

WatchingThemGrow
06-28-2010, 09:33 PM
How frustrating!

I woke up early this morning having a nightmare that one of our neighbors had his two dogs off leash (he has 3, usually the huge German Shepherd is off leash) and they both clamped down on DS2's face!:32: Horrible nightmare.

gatorsmom
06-29-2010, 02:53 AM
Ugh, this happened to me tonight! I came home with groceries at 10:30pm and these 2 beautiful golden labs were running int he street. they followed my car up into my driveway and I saw them heading for our open garage (DH forgot to close the garage door). Well, I have some camping supplies sitting in a cooler int here and didn't want them nosing around. So, i hit the remote garage door button in my car. It has a sensor that stops it from going down if something is int he doors path, so I knew the dogs wouldn't get hurt. But, I really didn't want them in my garage and I wanted to scare them. they did get scared and took off running. I have no idea who they belong to but it better not happen again. The twins are terrified of big dogs because they've been knocked down before so I have ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM taking the pepper spray to any dog that comes close to my little petunias in my own yard.

All that to say, I hope your dog owner neighbor comes to his senses. so annoying, I feel your pain!

ewpmsw
06-29-2010, 10:27 AM
I know dogs get loose occasionally, but I hate to see them running. Can't stand the thought of them getting hit or hurting someone else. When I was a kid, two of the neighbor's dogs got loose and tore our cat apart in the front yard. As their owner said, they're just dogs, they don't know any better - Tough to come home from school and see that, though. Locally, there was a recent story about some pit bulls tearing up a lady's baby doll sheep in their own pasture, just for sport. My parents have always had 2-3 dogs at a time and they have gotten loose over the years. They NEVER want to get in the car when we go after them. One was struck by a car four miles from their house, where she shouldn't have been, and we only got her back because the man who hit her happened to take her to our vet.

So, I'm That Neighbor Who Calls the non-emergency line about loose dogs. It's not a vindictive thing, it's not to teach the owners a lesson: I really can't stand the thought of anyone/anything being hurt when I could have done something about it.

liz
06-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Oooh, I feel your pain. We had neighbors who let their lab run amok. I don't know if the dog was stupid or just mean. When we would try to shoo him away, he would come closer. He would literally get right into our faces if we were opening the car door and try to get in. He terrified my DS2 because the dog was so big. And the poop! The poop was everywhere in my yard! What put me over the edge was being 6 months pregnant and watching the dog watching ME through the window while taking a sh!t. I went straight over to the owner (who luckily was home) and nicely but firmly told him that I was tired of picking up dog poo up when I was pregnant. Told him flat out it wasn't going to happen anymore. I said something along the lines of "I am not sure you are aware but your dog......he scares the kids, steals the kids toys etc" and then something along the lines of "I think (even though I knew because I called the town) there is a leash law". Luckily, they listened and we haven't had a problem since.

Definitely call the town to know what your rights are. If the neighbors didn't respond to my request, I for sure was going to call animal control. GL

Nooknookmom
06-29-2010, 12:30 PM
As a large-breed owner and animal lover, I totally agree!

There's a lady in my neighborhood who is in a hover-round type chair, she is severly obese and always has a dog with her. The last victim was a little hairless dog. Well, she is MEAN to the animals, drags them behind her chair, yells at them, etc. I haven't been in a position to call ac, and prove what she was doing, so I didn't. She is also a bit scary (mean, nasty and rude).

Lately, she has two new friends by her side, a G Shep (poor thing!) and a lab.

Lets them run ALL over - at night, so my dogs go crazy b/c these run up to my fence.

I want to call animal control, and if I see her again and if I see any form of abuse, I'm tackling it head-on.

Use a leash people!!! Grrr. I completely understand!