PDA

View Full Version : Exersaucer vs. Jumperoo?

AmandaDenver
06-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Hi All,

I'm a first time mom and finishing up my registry. My friend recommended that I get our baby a jumperoo, but I've read that exersaucers are great too. They seem to be for about the same age of baby and for pretty much the same purpose, so I don't think I need both. Right? So if I'm deciding between a jumperoo or an exersaucer, are there pros and cons to each, or is one better than the other? So far the only difference I can see is that seems to me that the exersaucer would collect dust on the bottom, while the jumperoo there is no bottom. Help please! Feeling clueless :)

bearwithme
06-29-2010, 11:03 AM
They are both pretty massive as far as baby accoutrements go, so I'd only want one in my house - though it depends on the amount of space you have. We only had the exersaucer for DD1, but we were in a small apartment. For DD2, I'm probably going to borrow a jumperoo from a friend, since we're in a large house and have room.

Is it possible to borrow one from a friend and register for one, it would be a low commitment way to have both?

The exersaucer is good, but it depends on your child and there is no way to know in advance. My DD put her time in it, but didn't love it as much as other babies I know. She was a very early crawler so she didn't like being confined - she didn't like the bumbo either.

BabyBearsMom
06-29-2010, 12:55 PM
That is one of those things you might want to wait and buy later. Your little one won't be able to use it until they are at least 4 months old, and for such a large item, you might not want it hanging around for 4 months. With all the kids I have seen, younger babies like the exersaucer (4 to 6 months), but as they get a little bigger they like the jumperoo (5/6 months until they are able to crawl). If you wait to buy it, you will know your baby's personality more and might be able to figure out which one he or she will like better. Another option is there is one Exersaucer that can be turned into a play mat (can't remember the brand) so you can at least get two uses out of one item.

As a side note, a lot of people on these boards say that you should only use an exersaucer or jumperoo for a maximum of 30 minutes a day as it can impact a baby's ability to walk (not sure why, I'm not an expert in that area).

AshleyAnn
06-29-2010, 01:39 PM
I have both and am thinking of adding another exersaucer (3 story house). the saucer is great because it can be carried from room to room, the jumper is too heavy and doesn't fit thru doorways, so she can be with me where I need to be. The jumper entertained her more in the beginning and she likes jumping in it better than the saucer. She wasn't tall enough for a jumper until 6.5months but wanted to stand at 3.5 (saucer is considerably shorter and more stable)

I bought my saucer used at cosignment store for $20. They also are a dime a dozen on craigslist.

swissair81
06-29-2010, 02:13 PM
I have one of each. For 2 different floors. My dd1 loved the exersaucer & jumperoos didn't exist. My dd2 hated the exersaucer & loved the jumperoo. Ds loved the exersaucer & hated the jumperoo. Moral of the story is to try it out first. As for those who think the jumperoo is enormous, the new one is smaller, but not cheaper- http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Bounce-Froggy-Activity-Center/dp/B002OOWADU/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1277835198&sr=8-14

noradc
06-29-2010, 10:27 PM
Hi, I agree with one of the posters who said to wait until after you have the baby to make the purchase. When my son turned 5 months we brought him to Babies R Us and had him try all the jumperoos and exersausers. We ended up buying the one he interacted with the most which was the Baby Einstein jumperoo. I would suggest going this route, that way you dont end up with an exersaucer/jumper that your baby doesnt like being in.

AshleyAnn
06-30-2010, 01:28 AM
I have one of each. For 2 different floors. My dd1 loved the exersaucer & jumperoos didn't exist. My dd2 hated the exersaucer & loved the jumperoo. Ds loved the exersaucer & hated the jumperoo. Moral of the story is to try it out first. As for those who think the jumperoo is enormous, the new one is smaller, but not cheaper- http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Bounce-Froggy-Activity-Center/dp/B002OOWADU/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1277835198&sr=8-14

I tried this one and was not impressed at all. If you're concerned about space try to find the older style of jumperoos by FP they are smaller and fold pretty well.

The baby einstein one is the largest and does not fold (even if the box says it does. believe me it does not)

swissair81
06-30-2010, 08:11 AM
As a side note, a lot of people on these boards say that you should only use an exersaucer or jumperoo for a maximum of 30 minutes a day as it can impact a baby's ability to walk (not sure why, I'm not an expert in that area).

That is the recommendations of most pediatric physical therapists. My ds walked late & that was the first thing they asked me- if he spent a lot of time in an exersaucer or jumperoo.

swissair81
06-30-2010, 08:12 AM
I tried this one and was not impressed at all. If you're concerned about space try to find the older style of jumperoos by FP they are smaller and fold pretty well.

The baby einstein one is the largest and does not fold (even if the box says it does. believe me it does not)

I don't actually have that one. I just thought it was cute and compact. I have the rainforest one. I bought it when my 3 year old was about 3-4 months old.

♥ms.pacman♥
06-30-2010, 08:32 AM
That is one of those things you might want to wait and buy later. Your little one won't be able to use it until they are at least 4 months old, and for such a large item, you might not want it hanging around for 4 months. With all the kids I have seen, younger babies like the exersaucer (4 to 6 months), but as they get a little bigger they like the jumperoo (5/6 months until they are able to crawl). If you wait to buy it, you will know your baby's personality more and might be able to figure out which one he or she will like better. Another option is there is one Exersaucer that can be turned into a play mat (can't remember the brand) so you can at least get two uses out of one item.

:yeahthat:

totally agree on waiting until after baby is born. i waited till DS was 4 months to get an Exersaucer, because yes 1) it takes up room and 2) at that point i knew DS's personality (he always liked to be "standing" even at 2 mo and he enjoyed playing independently) so i figured he'd probably like it (and he did, he loves that thing). THere is no need to get it beforehand.

and i have the Evenflo Triple FUn Jungle one that is a 3-1 that has a mat and toys u can use for 0-4 months, then you use those same toys on the Exercsaucer that they can use one they are 4 mo old. but IMO it's not worth getting it early just for that..it's a pretty bare-bones mat and you're better off getting a real activity gym (Tiny Love, etc) more suitable for a newborn and then getting the Exersaucer later if u think your baby will like it.

And i see the Jumperoo and i agree that it seems like an older baby (6mo+) would enjoy it more. it seems like it has less toys but more for jumping up an down. I am thinking of getting one for my DS eventually.

in general for my registry i only put things baby would use in the first few months (which is a lot already! :)). i left out things like high chairs, exersaucers, etc and big things that he couldn't use until he was older. and i'm soo glad i did because i found i made MUCH better choices and knew much better what fit our needs AFTER he was born and a few months went by.

ETA: as PP said, u can get an exersaucer for like $20 on Craigslist.

BabyBearsMom
06-30-2010, 09:35 AM
:yeahthat:

i left out things like high chairs, exersaucers, etc and big things that he couldn't use until he was older. and i'm soo glad i did because i found i made MUCH better choices and knew much better what fit our needs AFTER he was born and a few months went by.

ETA: as PP said, u can get an exersaucer for like $20 on Craigslist.

It is amazing how much better you are at shopping for your kids after they are born. I can't believe some of the stuff I just HAD to buy when I was pregnant that doesn't get touched now or that my baby absolutely hates. I easily wasted at least $500 on buying stuff for my DD that she doesn't like.

Kindra178
06-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Here is some information from the Children's Memorial Hospital's (Chicago) website re: these items:

Equipment to avoid

Some equipment that is marketed as beneficial is actually detrimental to your baby's postural development and overall safety and well being. These should never be used due to the detrimentals effects these can have on your child's gross motor development.

* Johnny Jumper or suspended jumper - Concerns: Child can fall; strangulation may occur; the apparatus could collapse; straps fraying or breaking; screws from device falling on children; increased risk of head trauma; increases vertigo with twirling; whiplash; foot deformities due to not weightbearing symmetrically on toes.
* Baby walkers - These are banned by the American Medical Association (AMA). They are no longer manufactured or sold in Canada. Concerns: Increased risk of injury secondary to harmful objects or falling down stairs; delayed balance reactions.
Electomyography studies (these show how your muscles activate or work while performing certain activities) have shown that babies using walkers may begin walking at similar times as babies not using walkers. However, babies using walkers demonstrated incorrect postures that encouraged their muscles to move in the wrong order.
* Exersaucer - Positive aspects: Baby can cruise or stand around outside of toy; can play with toys from the outside of exersaucer to help enhance fine motor skills; can practice pulling to stand on outside of exersaucer. Concerns: While suspended in bucket seat, baby may keep legs bent or stand stiff legged on their toes (neither position fosters proper body alignment); unequal weight bearing into lower extremities; encourages weight bearing on the inside of the foot which can lead to foot deformities; promotes round neck and back, pelvis tilting backwards during sitting ("slouching posture"); sets up incorrect postural alignment because babies are placed upright before their muscles are ready; babies will hyperextend their backs and drop their stomachs out forward.
Some studies have shown that babies will walk later from being placed in an exersaucer secondary to not experiencing appropriate weight bearing and weight shifting necessary to develop good trunk control and alignment.
The infants show a decreased drive to explore and get from one place to another using gross motor skills; they rely on the saucer for stability instead of using their back and stomach muscles; the saucers promote incorrect weight bearing into hip joint, which is critical for bony development. Infants learn improper alignment and compensatory patterns of movement in standing.