PDA

View Full Version : What did your parents/ ILs give your DC for 2nd bday?

ourbabygirl
06-28-2010, 10:48 PM
I saw the recent thread on good gifts for a 2 year old, and I'd like to give my mom some ideas of what to give my niece for her upcoming bday. DN does have an older brother (2 years older), so they do have quite a few toys already, of course.
Any ideas for a (bigger) bday gift, in the $100 or so range, for a little girl? Or is there something your parents or ILs have given your kid(s) for their 2nd birthday that was a huge hit?
My mom was thinking of giving her a sand & water table like we have, but realized that they already have one (I figured they did).

Thanks for your help! :bowdown:

lmwbasye
06-28-2010, 11:06 PM
My parents gave DS1 a kitchen and my in-laws gave him a vacuum and potty book. All three were HUGE hits!

I honestly can't remember what they gave DS2 except that my in-laws gave him the Melissa and Doug train and some other things. Weird that I can't remember.

Anyway, not sure if this helps.

wellyes
06-28-2010, 11:22 PM
How about an IKEA Trofast system, like this one?
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79871745
DD *loves* hers. We label each bin with pictures so she knows where to get her tea set, her cars, her puzzles, etc.

Other ideas.... work/tool bench, play kitchen, art desk?

ciw
06-28-2010, 11:35 PM
My mom and dad gave DS a tricycle and bike helmet and my dad also built DS a very cool workbench.

If she already has a tricycle from her older brother, what about a balance bike?

Lmwbasye, my son would LOVE a child's working vacuum! I think it may end up being his potty-training reward...eventually.....

Not even close to the $100 range but DS loves his Little Blue Hat music player.

I know Plasma cars aren't recommended for kids under three, but TRU has knock-offs called Wiggle cars that are for ages two to four: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4086590
They look like fun!

jerigirl
06-29-2010, 09:33 AM
My parents gave DS his easel at 2 yrs. Although I would assume since your niece has an older brother they probably already have one.

hillview
06-29-2010, 09:42 AM
My 2 year old has been using his plasma car since he was 2.25 and loves it. A play kitchen is a great idea. A PBK chair? A learning tower? A doll carriage (nice haba one)? An art kit with tons of supplies? A bunch of new books?
/hillary

lmwbasye
06-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Oh, and I have to say on the vacuum....DS1 is now 5.5 and both of my boys still play with this daily. The kitchen too.

hillview
06-29-2010, 09:55 AM
oh and MAGNATILES rock
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
06-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Ils got a picnic table for ds1 when he turned 2 and my parents got the sand/ water table. Along with various other stuff.

Beth

christiedavid3
06-29-2010, 01:35 PM
My parents got DS a Strider balance bike for his 2nd birthday, HUGE hit...and right at $100!!!

katydid1971
06-29-2010, 02:25 PM
DD got the M&D grocery cart for her 2nd BD and LOVES it!!!!! A nice gift would be the cart and a corolle calin doll. They are both huge hits here.
http://www.amazon.com/Corolle-Premier-Calin-Candy-Pink/dp/B0013FL21M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1277835732&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-4071-Shopping-Cart/dp/B000VO3GPG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1277835858&sr=1-1

MommyofAmaya
06-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Amaya got a kitchen... Sebastian got a Strider (a little early, he/I couldnt' wait).

Seitvonzu
06-29-2010, 10:36 PM
inlaws did a nova naturals stove/sink & fridge set w/ a bunch of "natural" kitchen accessories, some fisher price play food "meals," a corolle tidoo doll w/extra jammies/sleepsack, a bunch of books, random stuffed toys, and a bunch of stuff i can't really remember. it was EXCESSIVELY MUCH. but that's how they are and i have a christmastime baby (so this was a "combo" of her birthday and christmas). i thought they'd do one part of the kitchen- and this is what they showed up with. *sigh* (last year they said the excess was due to the "first" birthday being special, then the same thing happened for the 2nd...)

my parents "big" thing for lucy -- i guess her birthday gift (since she got other things for christmas)-- was a schoenhut "fancy" baby grand piano. it's really nice and fits in well in the living room.