PDA

View Full Version : s/o: Menactra vax -- will you or have you for your children?

bubbaray
06-28-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm heavily leaning towards it. Its not on the schedule here, but you can pay for it OOP. My dr recommends it. I can't remember the age though.

Thoughts?

JBaxter
06-28-2010, 11:13 PM
We just got it for Logan. He will probably transfer to a bigger school in January ( he just graduated) I think my ped started recommending it at like 14? I left it up to him if he wanted it.

I have left it up to Connor for the same reason.

AshleyAnn
06-28-2010, 11:18 PM
I will when she at higher risk for meningitis. Its not on our vax schedule so I'm waiting as the current schedule is a bit intense (we vax on time for the most part). Most colleges require it here especially if they plan to live in the dorms. I got in when I started college and DH got it when he entered the army.

JBaxter
06-28-2010, 11:26 PM
http://aapredbook.aappublications.org/resources/IZSchedule7-18yrs.pdf

Looks like 11 - 12 is recommended.

AnnieW625
06-28-2010, 11:55 PM
I most likely will vax my daughters for this too. It's becoming all too common hearing about teens who have died or nearly died from Meningitis.

gatorsmom
06-29-2010, 12:21 AM
I was so happy to see a vax come out for meningitis. I absolutely plan to get that for my kids when they get a little older (highschool age, probably). It is such a scary illness.

A friend of mine came down with some flu-like symptoms a couple years ago. It was February, so not an unusual time to have flu-like symptoms. At 4pm she told her husband she was just going to llay down on the sofa for a few hours. At bedtime he was going to wake her but decided she was sleeping so peacefully to let her be. At 4am the baby needed to be nursed and he thought it strange his wife hadn't woken up to nurse earlier so he tried to wake her. He couldn't wake her up. He called 911 and found out later she was nearly comatose. If he had waited any longer it would have been too late. She had meningitis. The symptoms are just so general that it's too easily written off as something more benign. But, I expect that if the kids go to college it will be required for them by the time they are old enough to go.