PDA

View Full Version : Crap -- need last minute end of year teacher gift

bubbaray
06-29-2010, 12:37 AM
I do NOT know where my brain is -- tomorrow (Tuesday) is the very last day of school here. And, its only 30 minutes or so of "school". Parent participation requested. I will be there and had it in my calendar for a looong time.

I'm such an idiot, I totally forgot about a freakin' GIFT.

WHAT DO I GET THIS FABULOUS KINDERGARTEN TEACHER? I was thinking Staples or bookstore GC. DH says gift, but is of no help and says "you're the shopping queen, you figure it out". Um, nice.

I don't even know how much to spend. Is $25 OK??? I really have no clue.

HELP!

JustMe
06-29-2010, 12:44 AM
I don't think you could go wrong with a bookstore GC. IMHO, the amount to spend varies widely a lot regionally, but if you're thinking $25 and she was a fabulous teacher, that''s probably about right.

bubbaray
06-29-2010, 12:48 AM
I don't think you could go wrong with a bookstore GC. IMHO, the amount to spend varies widely a lot regionally, but if you're thinking $25 and she was a fabulous teacher, that''s probably about right.

Do you think $50 would be better? I'm super clueless on gift amounts.

For Christmas for each daycare teacher (there were a total of 12) and this teacher I gave Olympic mittens, which were only $12 or so, but were VERY hard to find (sold out everywhere at Christmas). I also gave the teacher a LE Lighthouse tote (value $30, but I scored it for $5 on overstocks).

So, I dunno. I really have no idea what the value should be. We live in a high COL area, BUT teachers are very well paid here.

Fairy
06-29-2010, 12:58 AM
$50 is alot. I think $25 to $30 is good. We each gave $25 for BOTH teachers, and there was a big class gift, plus I got them each a $20 GC to Starbucks. I So, I spent about $35 per teacher. And I FLOVED these teachers. I do think a GC is perfectly awesome, especially if it's to a great place that's for everyone, like the bookstore. You could maybe stop at the bakery if there's one by you and get them each a cupcake or soemthign to go with it. I know, no otuside food :-). But for THEM, not for sharing.

Good luck!

bubbaray
06-29-2010, 01:01 AM
Thanks Hil.

This is only a gift for the Kindy teacher. Last day of daycare is Wednesday and there has been some turnover.... Don't think I'll do gifts for all of the teachers, its just tooooooo overwhelming for me. I might do Starbucks cards or something for them, not sure.

So, $30 GC (bookstore or Staples or possibly Starbucks if I'm totally in a time bind). Would that be OK?

sarahsthreads
06-29-2010, 01:04 AM
Well, we did a joint gift with the class, the suggested amount was $15. We wound up doing that and also getting a little suncatcher that DD1 wanted to give her teacher, so it totalled around $25.

Borders and Michael's gift cards are my go-to teacher gift. (Well, except for the dance teacher - she has an ipod that she plays all the class music on so I figure an iTunes gift card is a safe choice for her. :) )

Sarah :)

bubbaray
06-29-2010, 01:10 AM
I did Lululemon GCs for the ballet teachers. $25 each (2 teachers, but each DD was in a different class, same teachers).

I guess $25 would be OK. Maybe the morning Eastcoast folks will chime in.... Will have to run out late morning and pick this up before class.

Crap, guess I need to find a teacher-specific card too. OMG, I hate hate HATE not being organized for gifts.

Fairy
06-29-2010, 01:10 AM
I think it's great, Melissa. Some people don't do ANYTHING, so you're already ahead!!!

bubbaray
06-29-2010, 01:13 AM
Some people don't do ANYTHING, so you're already ahead!!!

Really? It kinda feels like a big competition. I definitely DO want to get this teacher something and be decent about it -- she's been absolutely FABULOUS with DD#1. And, ya know, she'll likely be DD#2's Kindy teacher too. :)

Fairy
06-29-2010, 01:20 AM
Oh yes, there are some people who just don't participate.

* They don't have the $$
* They don't like the teacher
* They feel milked to death already and are d.o.n.e.
* They don't care
* They forget or don't have their act together.

No judgment about any of these reasons, giving a teacher gift is not a requirement. But these are the reasons, all of which I've seen. Pre-K and daycare for me so far, but my daycare follows a schooolyear approach, and he's been there for five years (ohmigod), so I had my learnin' early on :-). Heck, I've been that last reason, myself. I ended up giving a gift at the beginning of the next year. Eep!

spunkybaby
06-29-2010, 03:18 AM
How about a $25 Amazon GC? That will give the teacher enough $ for free shipping, and you can print out a variety of designs off the Amazon site. Then you don't even have to run to a store to buy a GC.

(Anyways, this is what I did when I showed up to school on the last day and realized that there were a ton of teacher gifts--I had thought that our classroom gift was sufficient...guess not! But Amazon saved the day--I chose the "Happy Summer" design!)

bnme
06-29-2010, 06:20 AM
In my area $25 would be considered very generous for an individual teacher gift. It is a high COL area and my kids kindy teacher makes 6 figures (well, just over $100k, LOL). I would feel weird giving cash or a gc for more.

mom2MandC
06-29-2010, 06:44 AM
As a teacher (before my 2 girls), I would say a gift card of any amount would be appreciated!! $25 is pretty generous! I have gotten gcs anywhere between $5 Starbucks to $ 100 Macy's (from a parent I emailed daily and met with on a weekly basis due to some learning problems/organizational issues with her dc). Although I think $20-25 is probably the most common if people are doing a gift card.
Although I have to say end of year gifts aren't necessarily expected, but truly appreciated especially if your child enjoyed that teacher all year long.
My all time favorite gift was a sincere note of thanks from a parent who noticed and appreciated all of the efforts I put forth to help make 5th grade a positive experience after a horrible 4th grade year. :) It meant a lot that she recognized my efforts and took the time to personally tell me so. I kept that note in the top drawer of my desk for years and would read it when I would have a tough day at school or had to deal with a difficult parent.
Have a great summer!

Shannon

mikeys_mom
06-29-2010, 08:53 AM
I did $25 Chapters GC's this year. I usually do $20 from Chapters, but teachers were really incredible this year. I think $50 would be a bit much.
Chapters has teacher designs on their GC's. We are also in a high COL area.

HTH.

LBW
06-29-2010, 09:01 AM
I did $25 Barnes and Noble GCs. What's not to love about having cash to spend on books, CDs, and movies?

I usually give more to my littlest one's babysitter - but she's like family in a way.

FWIW, I did not give a gift to my oldest's 2nd grade teacher this year. She was so horrible. And I don't feel one bit guilty about it!

egoldber
06-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Oh yes, there are some people who just don't participate.

* They don't have the $$
* They don't like the teacher
* They feel milked to death already and are d.o.n.e.
* They don't care
* They forget or don't have their act together.

:yeahthat: No judgement, it's been me. This year all the teachers got two boxes of Girl Scout cookies and a $5 GC to Starbucks. Sorry, it's all the time and energy I had in me.

Even here, in a high COL area, $25 would be a very generous individual teacher gift IMO.

bubbaray
06-29-2010, 09:39 AM
I did $25 Chapters GC's this year. I usually do $20 from Chapters, but teachers were really incredible this year. I think $50 would be a bit much.
Chapters has teacher designs on their GC's. We are also in a high COL area.

HTH.

Thanks -- Chapters is where I was planning on going (its like Barnes & Noble or Borders in the US). Free shipping with Amazon here is $39, so $25 wouldn't get her much there. DH d/n like the Staples idea for some reason.

Thanks for the help, everyone. $25 it is, from Chapters. :)

KrisM
06-29-2010, 09:43 AM
One of the moms organized a group gift that coincided with a farewell/retirement party. She requested $4 per student to put towards gift cards. Some people put in more and we ended up with about $150 from the entire class. I think that was a nice amount, personally.

My SIL likes the Barnes and Noble cards (she's a preschool teacher) and combined them to buy a Nook.

WatchingThemGrow
06-29-2010, 10:15 AM
How about a $25 Amazon GC? That will give the teacher enough $ for free shipping, and you can print out a variety of designs off the Amazon site. Then you don't even have to run to a store to buy a GC.

(Anyways, this is what I did when I showed up to school on the last day and realized that there were a ton of teacher gifts--I had thought that our classroom gift was sufficient...guess not! But Amazon saved the day--I chose the "Happy Summer" design!)
I did the same thing! Even with FSS shipping being higher, it is still not bad for her to spend $14 and be able to get a great gift. What's the chance there isn't SOMETHING on her Amazon wishlist?