PDA

View Full Version : Wagon or other idea to transport kids to beach 3 blocks from house?

chickadee
06-29-2010, 08:48 AM
We are going to the beach in July and will be staying in a house 3 blocks from the beach. We have 2 girls under 3. Any great ideas how to transport them back and forth to the beach if the rest of our family is walking? I was thinking maybe a wagon? Should we get helmets? Any good wagons etc. to recommend?

Thanks so much!

SnuggleBuggles
06-29-2010, 08:54 AM
We have this Step 2 wagon and I would very much recommend it. It would be great for your needs. We do not make the kids wear helmets. Never thought of it and I m usually pretty pro-helmet. The wagon just doesn't go fast at all.
http://www.step2.com/product.cfm?product_id=1149

Beth

clc053103
06-29-2010, 10:19 AM
not sure what beach, but will you then have to pull the wagon down the sand to the water? WAgons are tough to pull on the sand unless you have rubber air tires (these aren't that plentiful). But just for vacation, yes a wagon is good idea and a fun novelty for the kids! You can also put some supplies in with the kids. Get DH to pull it across the sand.;-)

you could also just use a stroller- I used to take a BJCS with DS alone, beach chair hanging off the handle, bag on the roof, toys underneath. You could just use a double stroller. I would leave the stroller at the top of the beach access ramp, and lock it up with a bike lock so I didn't have to drag it across the sand.

buddyleebaby
06-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Honestly, I would just hold their hands and have them walk. 3 blocks is not too far, and I think a wagon would just be one more thing to try and manage.

arivecchi
06-29-2010, 10:42 AM
We love taking our wagon to the beach. If it gets too hard to pull on the sand, you can have them walk once you get to the sand. We have the RF Pathfinder and I love using it for this purpose because we can just hose off the sand when we are done. It is a nice spot to keep our stuff while we are at the beach. :)

fivi2
06-29-2010, 10:45 AM
I personally hate wagons with a passion, so I would just take the stroller!

KrisM
06-29-2010, 10:45 AM
How old are they? If they're 2 or more, I'd have them walk rather than buying something just for a 3 block trip.

WatchingThemGrow
06-29-2010, 11:18 AM
BURLEY D'LITE with jogging wheel, all the way!!! We get more use out of ours for the beach than we do as a bike trailer. They're shaded, it is easy to push, goes over the sand (soft sand is harder), AND there is a HUGE compartment in the back for your saltwater canvas bag and a small cooler. We loaded people up in the mornings, gave them their milks, and went for a walk several days. The other days, we plopped the kids in and pushed them down to the beach. It isn't totally easy getting it up/down the steps of the boardwalk, but they get out and walk for that part. It packs down really thin, also, so that helps in packing the car. LOVE the Burley on the beach. Love it!

arivecchi
06-29-2010, 12:07 PM
BURLEY D'LITE with jogging wheel, all the way!!! We get more use out of ours for the beach than we do as a bike trailer. They're shaded, it is easy to push, goes over the sand (soft sand is harder), AND there is a HUGE compartment in the back for your saltwater canvas bag and a small cooler. We loaded people up in the mornings, gave them their milks, and went for a walk several days. The other days, we plopped the kids in and pushed them down to the beach. It isn't totally easy getting it up/down the steps of the boardwalk, but they get out and walk for that part. It packs down really thin, also, so that helps in packing the car. LOVE the Burley on the beach. Love it! That sounds like a FAB idea!

chickadee
06-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks for all the input! DD1 is 20 months and always wants someone to CARRY her and is too heavy for me to carry back and forth and enjoy the beach. DD2 is less than 3 and often likes to walk, but there is no guarantee if she is tired.

We are going with my sister's family and my mom's family so we will have at least 4 adults DD1 will let carry her. I also thought DH and BIL or even my nephew would be happy to carry the wagon or stroller on the beach once we get there.