PDA

View Full Version : Finishing the basement...

Andi98989
06-29-2010, 10:05 AM
We started working on finishing our basement December 2008. Yes, you read that right - 2008. By fall 2009 when DS was arriving, we had 2 rooms done, and this winter we got the bathroom finished. The last room is our family room which also has a small kitchen area.

We went to a school auction and won 8 hours of service from a builder for $150 - yay! We bought the cabinets and had them installed. We went to order the laminate wood flooring we had picked out and it was gone! Boo!! Called the store and found out that it had been discontinued, but they still had plenty in stock for me - and the price was discounted by 50 cents a square foot - yay! Bought all the flooring. Found an installer who was half the price of everyone else - he started prepping the space last week and laying the floor yesterday.

Today I get "the call" that there is a problem. The floor is peaking (http://www.laminatefloorings.net/lm_issues.htm) already. This is not good. It is installed correctly. He called the manufacturer; they agreed that he is doing everything right and this should not be happening. I may need to bring in a row from what he already laid down plus an unopened box. Sounds like the flooring may be defective. No clue what we'll do if we need to get something different. It took us forever to agree on flooring. And I was really excited to having a big space for DS to roam around in!!

tiapam
06-29-2010, 11:07 PM
We are in our second house where we said we would do "something" with the basement. Didn't do anything in the first house and still nothing on this one. And it is filled with junk. So I know how you feel, you just want it done already!

HIU8
06-30-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm living this right now, only with a storage area buildout that is framed only. We are waiting for an electrician friend to come and put in more outlets and wire us for actual lighting. We still have to purchase the paneling and put it up. EVENTUALLY we will put in a drop ceiling and frame out the rest of the room (who knows when that will happen though).