PDA

View Full Version : DVD for 12, 10, and 5 year-olds?

tlw
06-29-2010, 10:42 AM
My brother-in-law and his family are coming to visit and I'm ISO a DVD that would be appropriate for boys 12 and 10 and a 5 yo girl and boy. Preferably G rated and something they've not likely seen. Any ideas?

I was thinking along the lines of "Swiss Family Robinson" or something a bit more old-school that they would not have already seen a thousand times.

Thanks~

sunriseiz
06-29-2010, 12:18 PM
That's a tough one. How about the original Peter Pan or some of the old Don Knotts movies like the Apple Dumpling Gang? My kids recently enjoyed Mary Poppins, but that might not work for a 12 yo boy. Treasure Island?

I can't wait to see other suggestions. Good luck!

gatorsmom
06-29-2010, 12:28 PM
ET? Indiana Jones and the Raiders of hte Lost Ark? The Goonies? Back to the Future? I know some of my nieces and nephews have seen all the newest videos and movies on the market but haven't seen a lot of the older movies like these. My boys have seen all these movies and weren't scared at all, so I think these are definitely options, even for the 5yo.

bubbaray
06-29-2010, 12:31 PM
My 3 & 5 yo saw the new Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton) at a dinner party recently. The youngest would leave the room and come into the dining room to find DH and I at scary part, but DD#1 was fine. No bad dreams, ill effects. I wasn't too thrilled with that choice of DVDs, but my girls were the youngest there, by far. Most of the other kids were Grade 5 and older. So, the host (a physician) picked a movie that would please most of the kids.

sunriseiz
06-29-2010, 12:40 PM
ET? Indiana Jones and the Raiders of hte Lost Ark? The Goonies? Back to the Future? I know some of my nieces and nephews have seen all the newest videos and movies on the market but haven't seen a lot of the older movies like these. My boys have seen all these movies and weren't scared at all, so I think these are definitely options, even for the 5yo.

ET and the Goonies are great ideas. I will add these to my our library list!

bnme
06-29-2010, 01:07 PM
I'll second ET and Goonies (if you don't mind a little language). We also loved the Last Mimzy and Free Willy.

ewpmsw
06-29-2010, 03:01 PM
We watched the heck out of Goonies as kids and I know my DN's that are under 8 watch it, but it does have some pretty blue language and scenes that may not be the most kid-friendly (like the statue/penis scene at the beginning).

What about Monsters, Inc.?

american_mama
06-29-2010, 05:29 PM
We just watched "Race to Witch Mountain" this weekend with my 8 year old (doesn't like suspense) and 5 year old (does like scary movies). They both liked it, but the 8 year old left the room a few times, the 5 year old was fine but did complain about the alien brain once or twice. There were more scary car chases and fighting/gun scenes than my girls have ever seen before, so it probably pushed the envelope of what I'd have them watch, but I wanted something non-animated and interesting to me as well as them.

There is also "Ponyo" which I think would interest a range of ages. It's a Japanese animated movie about a friendship between a fish/girl and a human boy... lots of storms, sea drama, sea creatures, magic, and mystery.