PDA

View Full Version : Postpartum bleeding

JTsMom
06-29-2010, 11:27 AM
If the title didn't clue you in, TMI warning. ;)

Everything I read says something different, so I thought I'd try to get some real life BTDT. Mine has been weird. It would slow down, then pick back up. Some days were heavy, some weren't. I had a huge clot at one point. All kinds of weird stuff.

For maybe a week now, it's been mostly gone. I'd see a tiny bit of spotting, but nothing major. Last night, at 4 weeks pp, it picked up again- to almost a period level flow. Has anyone else had that happen?

luckytwenty
06-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Mine was like that, but after the "break," it didn't last that much longer. Like another week or two. I remember having just light spotting at my 6 week PP appointment, and also asking her about the stopping/starting, which she said was normal.

edurnemk
06-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Mine was like that, but after the "break," it didn't last that much longer. Like another week or two. I remember having just light spotting at my 6 week PP appointment, and also asking her about the stopping/starting, which she said was normal.

:yeahthat:

HIU8
06-29-2010, 11:36 AM
With DD it took 3 weeks to stop. then a week later I got AF. I asked the OB and she said it was normal. I could not believe I got AF 4 weeks after DD was born (I didn't get it until 12 weeks with DS).

JTsMom
06-29-2010, 11:43 AM
With DD it took 3 weeks to stop. then a week later I got AF. I asked the OB and she said it was normal. I could not believe I got AF 4 weeks after DD was born (I didn't get it until 12 weeks with DS). That is crazy! If this turns out to be AF, I'm lodging a complaint. I didn't get it for 7 or 8 months with J.

Glad to hear others had a similar pattern. I wonder why so many websites make it seem like it's so abnormal to have that happen?

HIU8
06-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Well, part of why I may have gotten it early was b/c I could not BF. Although I could not with DS either and I still got it at 3 months (I was hoping for at least that long with DD though). I was SO bummed, let me tell you.

bubbaray
06-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Mine was like that with DD#2. It was weird. My OB (a guy) was convinced I would get my period back before my 7w check. Um, yeah, not so much (got it at 12m). He scheduled me for a D&C at 8w b/c I still had PP bleeding. I got bumped by a trauma case, then before they could reschedule, it stopped. Tres weird.

MommyAllison
06-29-2010, 12:29 PM
After DS, mine was like that - I noticed that it got heavier when I was out and about doing things, and I thought it was done and then it came back. AF didn't return until 16 months PP that time, though I was worried around the 6 week PP mark. GL!

Momof3Labs
06-29-2010, 01:51 PM
With both DS2 and DDs, it stopped and started again around 6w. Lasted less than a week, then disappeared. PP AF arrived at 12 months for DS, and haven't seen her yet this time around.

cntrymoon2
06-29-2010, 02:08 PM
My pp bleeding came and went for 10 weeks. I read the stuff online, too, and kept thinking it was abnormal, but my OB was fine with it and said she thought it would stop on its own, and it did...eventually. I remember feeling like I was wearing a diaper for the first 3 months because I was using up those monster pads they give you at the hospital.

shawnandangel
06-29-2010, 02:31 PM
mine did that too. My OB said as long as I wasn't filling one of those heavy pads an hour and no big clots then not to worry.

daisymommy
06-29-2010, 04:31 PM
The placenta tears away from being attached to the uterine wall, so you are left with a huge gaping wound inside. That is alot of where the bleeding comes from. It takes time for the wound to heal over. But once it develops a "internal scab" so to speak, if you do too much physically, the "scab" sloughs off and the wound re-opens and is raw and open inside again, so bleeding starts up again.

This is why it's really important to lay low and not do too much for the 6 weeks until your PP check-up; that's how long it typically takes to heal. My midwife actually told me it's more like 9 weeks. Though I will say that I still had break through bleeding (from doing too much) all 3x even at my PP visit.

LarsMal
06-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Mine was like that with C. It took a full 6 weeks to finally stop. I definitely noticed the more I did the heavier it was, which makes sense I guess!

Something happens around 2-3 weeks that can make the bleeding heavier- scar tissue tearing away or something like that.

hillview
06-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Mine was like that with DS#2 and I called the OB who said it was normal. SIGH.
/hillary

LarsMal
06-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Mine was like that with DS#2 and I called the OB who said it was normal. SIGH.
/hillary

Just wanted to add that my OB said it's normal, too, unless it's HEAVIER than a normal period.

mom2binsd
06-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Mine was pretty heavy for 6 weeks and then still needing a pad until 10 weeks.

AnnieW625
06-29-2010, 06:06 PM
If the title didn't clue you in, TMI warning. ;)

Everything I read says something different, so I thought I'd try to get some real life BTDT. Mine has been weird. It would slow down, then pick back up. Some days were heavy, some weren't. I had a huge clot at one point. All kinds of weird stuff.

For maybe a week now, it's been mostly gone. I'd see a tiny bit of spotting, but nothing major. Last night, at 4 weeks pp, it picked up again- to almost a period level flow. Has anyone else had that happen?

Same thing happened to me and I think it's finally been gone about 3 weeks, it seemed like it lasted forever this time too (so about 5 weeks pp).