PDA

View Full Version : positive pregnancy test and burst ovarian cyst

littlebird
06-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Night before last i couldn't sleep because I had a lot of pain in my lower abdomen. I called my doc's office first thing yesterday morning. I told him that I'd been trying to conceive, so he did a pregnancy test. It was positive, so he contacted my OBGYN. I'd had a normal cycle just 2 weeks before, so there was a chance it was ectopic. I had a vaginal sonogram, which showed a lof of fluid in one ovary. So, I had laporscopic surgery yesterday evening, and come to find out that it wasn't an ectopic pregnancy, but instead an ovarian cyst had burst. My OBGYN said she couldn't find a pregnancy sac during the operation, but that since I had a positive pregnancy test, there's still a chance I could be pregnant.

Have any of you ever had a false positive pregnancy test along with a burst ovarian cyst? Or, any other information which might be help me understand??

Thanks in advance for any help!

Alyssa

MissyAg94
06-29-2010, 12:57 PM
I have heard that ovarian cysts can cause false positives on HPT's.

secchick
06-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Just last month, I had AF. I am TTC and was only 7 DPO, but wasn't too upset because I am still BFing and it was just my second PPAF. A couple of weeks later I had some spotting and took a pregnancy test just because my cycles have been so irregular and it was way positive. I went to the doc and saw nothing on u/s except for a hemorrhagic cyst, but my hcg was 700. Progesterone was only 5. Highly suspected ectopic at that point. Had blood work again 2 days later, but hcg had declined to 318. I got AF another week later. No treatment because it resolved itself. I'll never know whether it was ectopic or just an early loss, but I don't think a false positive would get as high as 700.

JBaxter
06-29-2010, 01:19 PM
I had large cycts with 3 of my pregancies ( or evidence of one bursting recently) They showed up on early u/s

AshleyAnn
06-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Cysts (small and generally only 1) form on the ovary during each cycle from where the egg released. If the egg is fertilized it it what begins the creation of progesteron (sp) until the placenta is formed. I had a 1 inch cyst on my right ovary at 9 weeks pregnant with DD.

I have PCOS and have had tons of cysts/ruptures and never gotten a false positive although I've never taken a EPT before or after one burst.

If you had your cycle jut 2 weeks ago you could be in the earliest stages of pregnancy. Try a pee test with the lines. They tend to darken every day if you're having a strong pregnancy

WolfpackMom
06-29-2010, 01:28 PM
If you just had a normal period 2 weeks ago I would say its still possible as its a bit early to have a visible egg sac already. I have PCOS and dealt with bursting cysts at the beginning of my pregnancy, about 14 days past conception I went in to the OB for the extreme pain (ouchie sorry you had one burst) and I had 5 cysts on one side, and no egg sac to be seen. They checked my hcg and it was only 400 or so, then checked again a few days later to check for rising numbers. So I would say if you are feeling unsure, it wouldn't hurt to ask them to check your hcg again in a few days if you are still getting positive test results at home, and to compare it to the first in office test. Typically if the pregnancy dissolved on its own, it would take a little while to stop showing up on the home test (although not too long since your period wasn't long ago).
HTH

littlebird
06-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks everyone for all of that helpful information. I am going back to my OB week after next, and she plans to do another pregnancy test. My plan is to take a few at home before then, but I'm waiting for a few days since I just had the surgery yesterday. I really don't want to get excited over a false positive, because it took me 3 years to conceive my first child.