PDA

View Full Version : What do you all take for seasonal allergies?

jess_g
06-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Seasonal allergies are driving me nuts. I am going to goto CVS tonight and try and find something otc for this and hope that it works. Any suggestions? And is it now safe to take the brand names again? (I am thinking of the big recall of childrens medicines that happended a few months ago). I realy try not to take medication unless it will realy help, but I realy need something here.

ETA: And which ones are non drowsy?

Thanks,

Jessica.

TwinFoxes
06-29-2010, 02:54 PM
I take generic Claritin. I got a big bottle at Costco for about $10. It works as well as Claritin, which is super expensive.

Glizmo
06-29-2010, 02:58 PM
I love Tavist normally (Clemastine, I get the CVS brand), it works even during an allergy flare-up (i.e. you don't have to take it ahead of time). I don't think it's safe while pregnant though, so for now I've been taking generic Claritin and it's working ok.

kristenk
06-29-2010, 03:03 PM
I take zyrtec.

ett
06-29-2010, 03:05 PM
I take Claritin, which is non-drowsy.

fumofu
06-29-2010, 04:58 PM
DH and I take generic Claritin (loratidine) from Target. We get the 24-hr relief kind and it's non-drowsy. Took benadryl once and I fought sleep for 3 hours at work.

MelissaTC
06-29-2010, 05:10 PM
OTC Zyrtec. I also do Flonase but that is prescription.

♥ms.pacman♥
06-29-2010, 05:54 PM
dh & i rotate between zyrtec and claritin (both generic version from Target or Costco). never had issues with feeling drowsy.

bubbaray
06-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Nasonex prescription.

DH takes OTC Claritin. Both girls take OTC Aerius. DD#1 has previously also tried Zyrtec/Reactin and Claritin, Aerius works WAAAAY better for her.

FWIW, according to her ped. allergist, Claritin and Aerius are mirror images of each other, so in theory should work the same. He is not a fan of Zyrtec/Reactin and prefers his patients to take one of: Claritin, Aerius or Allegra.

HTH

LarsMal
06-29-2010, 06:03 PM
I usually take generic Claritin. I bought a big bottle on sale at Target.

Melbel
06-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Generic Allegra (prescription) works well for me, with fewer side effects than either Zyrtec or Claritan (I am sensitive to meds).

lizzywednesday
06-29-2010, 08:46 PM
I take generic 24-hour Zyrtec at night to sleep off the side effects.

Allegra did absolutely nothing for me when it was a 'script and the only advantage to Claritin is it comes in a quick-dissolve version which I use when we go out to AZ.

Katigre
06-29-2010, 08:52 PM
I rotate between the 3 OTC allergy meds - Claritin D works the best for me or Zyrtec. I don't take them daily, just as needed.

But what I have found is that my underlying health really affects how my body responds to allergies. When I eat like crap my allergies get terrible b/c my body burden is higher. I just ate tons and tons of junk and sugar this past weekend and spent most of the past two days sneezing and having the worst allergy and asthma symptoms I've had in ages.

When I am eating whole foods and not processed stuff my allergy symptoms, eczema, and asthma symptoms abate and only show up mildly and infrequently. It's very interesting to me - I wish I had noticed this connection years ago because it would have saved me a lot of physical discomfort and allergic symptoms (not to mention $$ on medicine to control the symptoms).

gatorsmom
06-29-2010, 11:38 PM
I took Zyrtec for the first time at the beginning of allergy season. It made me drowsy so I started taking the pill at bedtime everyday and worked great.