PDA

View Full Version : Anyone made the Duggar's tater tot casserole

oneontheway
06-29-2010, 03:37 PM
This is probably a strange questions but I'm just wondering if anyone has made the Duggar's tater tot casserole or any of their other recipes? I just finished the book and I'm intrigued by the simplicity of the recipes in the book... just wondering if they taste good?
Thanks!!

vonfirmath
06-29-2010, 04:17 PM
I don't know about their tater tot casserole, but that was a staple of another friend of mine. She took it to church potlucks, to folks who needed meals delivered, everyone. And it was DELICIOUS.

(Now I want to find this book and read it!)

JBaxter
06-29-2010, 04:20 PM
http://www.duggarfamily.com/recipes.html

A friend of mine made the soap

vonfirmath
06-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Laugh. I was just coming back to post that link!

The recipe looks pretty much like what my friend made.

daisymommy
06-29-2010, 04:32 PM
I really enjoyed their book :)

calv
06-29-2010, 04:41 PM
very cool! THANKS for the link =)

oneontheway
06-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Laugh. I was just coming back to post that link!

The recipe looks pretty much like what my friend made.

Did she make it with ground turkey?

oneontheway
06-29-2010, 06:11 PM
I really enjoyed their book :)

Me too! I was sad to get to the end.

khalloc
06-30-2010, 09:50 AM
I didnt read the book but once I saw an episode of their show where they showcased the Tater Tot Casserole and my arteries clogged just watching it. It looked so unhealthy!

Carrots
06-30-2010, 09:54 AM
I saw the same tater-tot episode and just the thought of it makes me ill. ;):barf:

maestramommy
06-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Okay, not particularly healthy, but I love both tator tots and cream soups. This sounds yuuuuuuuummy!:p You could always balance it with steamed broccoli:D

khalloc
06-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Okay, not particularly healthy, but I love both tator tots and cream soups. This sounds yuuuuuuuummy!:p You could always balance it with steamed broccoli:D

I think it will take more than steamed broccoli to balance this meal!

maestramommy
06-30-2010, 10:52 AM
I think it will take more than steamed broccoli to balance this meal!

Aww, c'mon! The recipe does use ground turkey, after all. You could use also lower sodium cream soups.

JMS
06-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Ok.. I just can't help myself: this is horribly unhealthy :(

scrooks
06-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Aww, c'mon! The recipe does use ground turkey, after all. You could use also lower sodium cream soups.

:yeahthat: I agree tater tots aren't the best but we eat them on occasion here. With a low fat/ low sodium cream soup and ground turkey it wouldn't be that awful!

Ceepa
06-30-2010, 11:48 AM
:yeahthat: I agree tater tots aren't the best but we eat them on occasion here. With a low fat/ low sodium cream soup and ground turkey it wouldn't be that awful!

I agree. It can be tweaked just fine.

vonfirmath
06-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Did she make it with ground turkey?

I don't know. I'd have to ask. It would not surprise me since ground turkey can be found cheaper than ground beef

JBaxter
06-30-2010, 01:14 PM
We used organic tater tots and organic cream soup with our home grown beef. You can make it not so bad and its a great kid food :D

vonfirmath
06-30-2010, 01:14 PM

Or make your own.
*shrug* i'm not going to bash the healthiness because it is fairly equivalent to a lot of what we eat already.

StantonHyde
06-30-2010, 01:17 PM
We call them "funeral potatoes" in Utah because they are at every potluck. And yes, your arteries clog and they are disgusting!!!!

kijip
06-30-2010, 01:38 PM
I received 2 coolers full of casseroles from a friend after F was born. Many of them were tater tot casserole very similar to that recipe. We ate them, mostly, because I am cheap but it was a struggle. I think that sort of food is just plain gross. I grew up poor, too poor for tater tots and many convenience foods (we used potatoes and ate very simply and cheaply)+ my parents rarely used salt and as such just never developed a taste for the kind of salt in premade soups and fast foods. Unlike sugar, salt is something that people need to acquire a taste for. I don't dislike salt in tiny amounts but to put it in perspective even low sodium commercially packaged soup tastes WAY over salted to me. Not because I am a better eater ( I certainly am not- as my pants size suggests!!!), but because I never learned to like salt much in the first place.

ilfaith
06-30-2010, 02:27 PM
I guess I am not the only one slightly horrified by these recipes.

I didn't grow up eating casseroles...which is probably why I never have a clue what to make for a potluck dinner. I recall my mother once making a tuna noodle casserole and my dad and I refusing to eat it (around the same time there was an episode of Welcome Back Kotter where the wife's tuna casserole got the same reception). My mom did make something called "American Chop Suey" which bears no relation to anything Chinese, and is essentially ground beef with elbow macaroni and tomato sauce (upon research I discovered this dish...or at least its name...is pretty much a New England thing).

Looking at the recipes, my first thought was that this is what you get when you leave the cooking to the eleven-year-olds.

zoestargrove
06-30-2010, 03:23 PM
BLECH! That totally sounds disgusting to me.

maestramommy
06-30-2010, 03:56 PM
I've been thinking about this recipe since this morning. Just wondering, if you wanted to make a much healthier version, is it possible to simply finely cut potatoes and use those, or would it not cook thoroughly? I could try the recipe on my kids, but they aren't the biggest potato eaters, barring fries, which we have once a month or so. And yes, cream soups have a lot of sodium, of which I'm trying to keep as low as possible while still making food tasty. My casseroles usually have pasta instead of potatoes. And all the recipes I've tried at least have frozen veggies in it.

We didn't grow up with casseroles either, since it's not our culture. I started making my own when I started making dinner in HS. It always did involved a can of some kind of cream soup:p

JBaxter
06-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Melinda you can shread your potatoes and brown them a little like you were making home made hash browns then layer them.

My mom was Casserole Queen when I was a kid.

"ours" had a layer of green beans in it ( mom does home canning)

kijip
06-30-2010, 05:12 PM
My version of this meal would be roasted potatoes/onions/peppers, small ground turkey patties seasoned with something yummy (maybe stretched with mushrooms to get that mushroom soup flavor in??) and a side salad. Same basic foods, different configuration. I dislike canned mushroom soup and can't see myself every using it unless it was a matter of starvation.

JBaxter
06-30-2010, 05:22 PM
you can also brown some mushrooms in a little real butter add some broth and a little flour to make the "soup" mixture.

Ive doen that when I was out of "cream of" soup

khalloc
06-30-2010, 08:52 PM
My mom did make something called "American Chop Suey" which bears no relation to anything Chinese, and is essentially ground beef with elbow macaroni and tomato sauce (upon research I discovered this dish...or at least its name...is pretty much a New England thing).

My mom made this too! Except she called it Goulash. I hated it. My dad loved it.

I am NOT a casserole person. I like my foods separate, thank you very much!

Cam&Clay
06-30-2010, 08:55 PM
My mom made this too! Except she called it Goulash. I hated it. My dad loved it.

My mom called it goulash, too!!

MissyAg94
06-30-2010, 10:26 PM
LOL! I knew what this thread would look like before I opened it!

JElaineB
06-30-2010, 11:29 PM
I guess I am not the only one slightly horrified by these recipes.

I didn't grow up eating casseroles...which is probably why I never have a clue what to make for a potluck dinner. I recall my mother once making a tuna noodle casserole and my dad and I refusing to eat it (around the same time there was an episode of Welcome Back Kotter where the wife's tuna casserole got the same reception). My mom did make something called "American Chop Suey" which bears no relation to anything Chinese, and is essentially ground beef with elbow macaroni and tomato sauce (upon research I discovered this dish...or at least its name...is pretty much a New England thing).

Looking at the recipes, my first thought was that this is what you get when you leave the cooking to the eleven-year-olds.

I grew up in New England and we called it American Chop Suey. I now live in the midwest, I make it the same as my mom did, but here it is called goulash! I don't make it like a casserole though, it is basically a pasta dish like spaghetti or any other.

WolfpackMom
07-01-2010, 08:20 AM
I grew up in New England and we called it American Chop Suey. I now live in the midwest, I make it the same as my mom did, but here it is called goulash! I don't make it like a casserole though, it is basically a pasta dish like spaghetti or any other.

ACS is my absolute favorite home comfort food. Just ground hamburger, elbow noodles, and a thicker tomato sauce and sometimes peppers and onions, not as a casserole or anything. Im a New Englander now in the South, here I just get funny looks about it when I say I want some theres not a different name. Goulash as I know it is hungarian beef with egg noodles.

JBaxter
07-01-2010, 08:38 AM
On another note... Josie Duggar is now home! She would have come home last month but 12 of the kids got chicken pox.

infomama
07-01-2010, 08:40 AM
On another note... Josie Duggar is now home! She would have come home last month but 12 of the kids got chicken pox.
Good to hear that Josie is home but 12 kids with chicken pox???!!! Wowza.

firsttimemommy
07-01-2010, 12:09 PM
you can also brown some mushrooms in a little real butter add some broth and a little flour to make the "soup" mixture.

Ive doen that when I was out of "cream of" soup

I just made this last night as a "real food" version of cream of mushroom soup. I als added some ground thyme and a few pieces of uncured nitrate free bacon too for extra flavor - then threw in organic chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces and it was like a stew - and it was DELISH.

alien_host
07-01-2010, 01:13 PM
I looked at the recipe...I think it *may* seem worse because it makes a huge batch? 6 lbs of tater tots! What does it look like? It seems like it would look unappetizing since everything is such a neutral color.

Anyway check out the Broccoli Casserole they posted below the tater tot one...bolding is mine...I wonder what the average cholesterol level is in that household!

BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
3/4 lb. Velveeta™ cheese, cubed
2 small boxes frozen chopped broccoli
1 cup cooked minute or brown rice
1 onion, chopped
1 stick butter
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk
Saute onions in butter. Cook broccoli as package directs,
drain. Cook rice, combine all ingredients; pour into 9x13 in.
dish. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until brown. Yum! Yum!

And Hashbrown Casserole..seriously these folks love creamed soups and cheese! I do love cheese, creamed soups not as much though.

HASHBROWN CASSEROLE
1 (32 oz.) pkg. frozen hash browns (2 lbs.)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 c. milk
2 t. onion powder
1/2 t. pepper
2 c. grated cheddar cheese
1/4 c. melted butter
3 c. cornflakes, crush cornflakes in Ziploc™ bag, pour
melted butter in & shake.
Spray casserole dish with oil. Layer 1/2 hash brown first. Then pour 1/2 of soup mixture = cream of chicken, milk, onion powder, salt, & pepper. Then half of the grated cheese. Repeat… Hash browns, soup mixture, grated cheese. Top with crushed, buttered corn flakes. Bake at 350 for 45 min. (Jana’s favorite meal!)

infomama
07-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Velveeta is so wrong.

alien_host
07-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Velveeta is so wrong.

yeah I guess calling it "cheese" is pushing it right? ;)

ilfaith
07-01-2010, 01:29 PM
There was so much Velveeta and canned soup in the recipes I wondered if their show was sponsored by Kraft and Campbell Soup.

baileygirl
07-01-2010, 01:38 PM
There was so much Velveeta and canned soup in the recipes I wondered if their show was sponsored by Kraft and Campbell Soup.

That is a good point...Do they really eat that much Velveeta? Here is Anna Duggar's Chicken Etti recipe (from the Duggar's web page):

Chicken Etti

1 package spaghetti noodles
3 cups diced, cooked chicken
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup chicken broth
1 pound cheese (Velveeta)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can cream of chicken soup

alien_host
07-01-2010, 02:27 PM

That is a good point...and Ziplock bag is specifically mentioned...I don't really watch the show much, do they do a lot of product placement?

egoldber
07-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Velveeta is not cheese. It is a "pasteurized prepared cheese product. It cannot be labelled as cheese because it does not meet the FDA definition of cheese.

JTsMom
07-01-2010, 02:36 PM
The TTC looks gross to me, but the Hash Brown Casserole is something I am familiar with, and it is delicious! :)

ilfaith
07-01-2010, 02:39 PM
TTC = Tater Tot Casserole = Trying To Conceive

Hmmm. we may be onto something.

gatorsmom
07-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Velveeta is so wrong.

8oz of velvetta
+ 1 can of Rotelle ( diced tomatoes with mild chilis)
+ 1 slow cooker on low for a couple hours

= the best queso for tortilla chips I've ever had. Try it. It will change your opinion of velvetta FOREVER.

JBaxter
07-01-2010, 02:50 PM
8oz of velvetta

= the best queso for tortilla chips I've ever had. Try it. It will change your opinion of velvetta FOREVER.

OH yes... and if you have Spicy sausage its really good ( ok so it clogs ALL your arteries :D )

gatorsmom
07-01-2010, 02:51 PM
You know, I've been dieting for the past couple months. Lots of light, fresh vegetable meals and salads. And I have to say that TTC is sounding like the perfect counterbalance. I'm just CRAVING some greasy sallty food! It sounds like the perfect comfort food right now!

mom2224
07-01-2010, 02:52 PM
8oz of velvetta

We add 16oz browned Jimmy Dean Sausage and up the velveeta to 16oz. Letmme tell you- YUM. It's good job security for the cardiologists.

JBaxter
07-01-2010, 02:53 PM
We add 16oz browned Jimmy Dean Sausage and up the velveeta to 16oz. Letmme tell you- YUM. It's good job security for the cardiologists.

LOL We must have posted at the same time!

Momit
07-01-2010, 03:15 PM
8oz of velvetta

OMG I love this dip! I make it whenever I can find an excuse, especially during football season. Wait - World Cup "football" is going on right now!

vonfirmath
07-01-2010, 03:42 PM
That is a good point...and Ziplock bag is specifically mentioned...I don't really watch the show much, do they do a lot of product placement?

I say Ziploc when I mean any of those type of bags. "Get a ziploc bag" (It might be HEB brand. Or Dollar store. Or Glad. But I still say Ziploc.)

(I don't know of anything else than Velveeta I'd use though)

alien_host
07-01-2010, 03:46 PM
I say Ziploc when I mean any of those type of bags. "Get a ziploc bag" (It might be HEB brand. Or Dollar store. Or Glad. But I still say Ziploc.)

(I don't know of anything else than Velveeta I'd use though)

I say that as well but the recipe lists it with the trademark notation symbol...that's what makes it seem like their recipe's are sponsored in some way.

3 c. cornflakes, crush cornflakes in Ziploc™ bag,

and I just noticed this recipe with 2 cups of Mayo and sour cream....ETA AND bacon, eggs and cheese to balance out the lettuce ;)

LAYERED SALAD
1st- 1/2 head lettuce
6 boiled eggs, chopped
1/ 2 lb. turkey bacon, crumbled
2nd- 1/2 head lettuce
1 can peas, drained
1 small onion , chopped
3rd- 2 cups REAL* Mayonnaise
1 small container sour cream
Shred cheddar cheese over top. Chill.
*Be sure and use REAL mayonnaise, it makes a big difference! (One of Mommy’s favorites!)

vonfirmath
07-01-2010, 03:53 PM
And again, I'd define that as real mayonaise as opposed to miracle whip.
Some things you can change them out, others you can not.

Didn't see the trademark thing.

alien_host
07-01-2010, 03:57 PM
And again, I'd define that as real mayonaise as opposed to miracle whip.
Some things you can change them out, others you can not.

Is there a brand called Real? Honestly, I don't buy mayo often....I posted it b/c what kind of salad has 2 cups of mayo, sour cream AND cheese...I wasn't really commenting on the brand of mayo. I'm feeling kind of sick now!

Mommy_Again
07-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Is there a brand called Real? Honestly, I don't buy mayo often....I posted it b/c what kind of salad has 2 cups of mayo, sour cream AND cheese...I wasn't really commenting on the brand of mayo. I'm feeling kind of sick now!

Well, Miracle Whip is not mayonaise (i.e. not "real" mayo). I don't know what it is, I've never had it, but it is definitely not mayo!

Oh - and velveeta + rotel + crumbled meat...we refer to this as "crack dip" - because it's about that addicting (not that I know what it's like to be addicted to crack). JMO...I think the only acceptable use for velveeta is if it is melted in some way as part of a bigger recipe.

maestramommy
07-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Well, I decided to try the recipe for tonight. Only I added a pound of frozen chopped organic spinach while browning the meat. Also, I didn't read the recipe carefully and didn't have evaporated milk. So I subbed fat free regular milk and some heavy cream to thicken. I used the lower sodium and fat soups. I also found that our store brand tator tots have 3 grams less fat and half the amount of sodium as Ore-Ida. Hope it's edible! Also saw that Ore-Ida has some kind of potatoes that are cubed with onions and peppers. No fat and very little sodium. But if I was going to use that I might as well do my own potatoes, which I don't have time for today. :p Dh is going mountain biking after work so I get to put the kids to bed by myself. Perfect night for this kind of recipe. I hope :D