PDA

View Full Version : help! identify this rash

BeachBum
06-29-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm kind of freaking out here. Can anyone identify this rash? Does it look food related? There was one on the side of his cheek too. The cheek popped up first.

No new foods... but he did eat a boatload of strawberries today. My DC is 17 months.

If it is still there in the morning I'm going take him in to the ped.

thoughts?

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l244/fudge218/rash/IMG_5121.jpg

Melaine
06-29-2010, 05:13 PM
DD2 has something like that that appears on her back ever so often. It's not quite as large of a patch. But it comes and goes and I basically decided it must be heat rash....

ETA: She has had it probably 4 times I guess. It always disappears after a couple days and doesn't seem to cause any particular discomfort. I put ca baby cream on it.

Piglet
06-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Was he eating something acidic and dripping down his shirt? DD got a red rash like that from tomatoes and we determined it was the acid.

ThreeofUs
06-29-2010, 05:55 PM
I'd call it the strawberries. It looks pretty typical for a LOT of things, though, kwim?

Why not let it ride for a day or two, see if anything changes (the rash, his temp, or itchiness/irritability)?

If nothing changes, try him again on a smaller amount of strawberries next week. Strawberries are known to have large amounts of compounds that cause our cells to release histamines. Someone (child or adult) can therefore not exactly be allergic to the strawberries, but can react with a rash like this if they eat enough to trigger a response. Make sense?

(This is called a anaphylactoid reaction, btw, in case you want to talk to your ped about it....)

LarsMal
06-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Ouch- poor baby! My guess would be the strawberries. Have you used any new products on him? I get spots like that, too, and have yet to figure out what true cause is. It definitely bothers me more when I eat acidic foods, though, especially tomato sauce.

I agree with pp to lay off the strawberries until it clears up and then try a small amount and see if it it happens again.

GL!

hillview
06-29-2010, 06:10 PM
I can tell you what it doesn't look like. Heat rash nope and virus nope.
/hillary

gatorsmom
06-29-2010, 07:22 PM
I'd call it the strawberries. It looks pretty typical for a LOT of things, though, kwim?

Why not let it ride for a day or two, see if anything changes (the rash, his temp, or itchiness/irritability)?

:yeahthat: Strawberries was my first thought too. My mother was allergic to strawberries. They gave her a weird rash for a while and then it would fade. I can't remember if she said it itched or not.

I'd just put a diaper and some loose clothing (like a one-piece shorts romper) or pjs and see if he seems itchy. If not, I wouldn't put anything on it. If he does itch, you could try some benedryl lotion. That is what I would do.

Hope he feels better! Oh, and please let us know what you figure out. :)

BeachBum
06-29-2010, 08:08 PM
thanks guys. i'm feeling better about things...i think i will take a wait and see approach. he isn't grumpy and i don't think the rash is itchy.
i had no idea that an over abundance of strawberries could cause a reaction that a more moderate amount would not. ...i really hope that is the case!

almostamom
06-29-2010, 08:32 PM
My first guess is the strawberries. FWIW, DS had a strawberry allergy from age 3 until 5. It is the ONLY one he has outgrown.

Linda

carolinamama
06-29-2010, 08:39 PM
We have had trouble with DS1 when he has eaten a ton of strawberries - similar rash. We limit them now. Hope your guy is better soon.

daisymommy
06-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Don't strawberries cause a rash on the face and around the mouth though? I thought I read that somewhere. I was going to say topical/contact dermatitis. I def. don't think it's viral though.

DrSally
06-29-2010, 10:57 PM
My bet would be the strawberries. Ivy, thanks for the info on what exactly causes this. My neice (8yo) has been avoiding strawberries b/c she's has a mild rash after eating them (but no other signs of allergy). I'm going to pass this info onto my SIL.

ThreeofUs
06-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Don't strawberries cause a rash on the face and around the mouth though?

Yes, this is generally an allergic response that involves IgE. Body hives can be caused by strawberries by a different route, as I noted in my previous post.