PDA

View Full Version : misguided on prenatal - help please

luv2bmommy
06-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Hi everyone,
I took Prenate Elite during preg. until after weaning, and have been taking it again now with my second preg. Unfortunately, the pharmacy did not give me a list of ingredients this time, and I assumed all was the same. I was shocked to find out that now they have twice the list of "other" ingredients, including pig!!!
Well, bottome line, what healthier prenatal do you recommend?
Anybody at all ever heard of Trimedisyn or Prenatalgyn?
Thanks to all for reading!!!

sammy80
07-01-2010, 11:48 AM
My family doctor actually suggested I take trimedisyn, I was skeptical because the price was so high, and I wasn't super excited about taking 6 pills but since there was a guarantee I figured I had nothing to lose. I decided to break up the dosage and take 2 with every meal, the capsules were really small and easy to swallow so that ended up not being a problem. The reason my family doctor insisted I take these is because my last pregnancy resulted with me having toxemia, which led to multiple seizures and an early delivery of my daughter, Faith. She was delivered at 29 weeks and passed away 8 weeks later. I was totally oblivious to the seriousness of toxemia (preeclampsia) while I was pregnant. It is a condition that only effects 5% of pregnancies, I think I read that every year 50,000 women die from toxemia, and it's not just a 3rd world disease it happens just as often in the US as it does in undeveloped countries. This time around I am taking EVERY precaution. Trimedisyn is the only prenatal vitamin to contain Coenzyme Q10, which helps reduce your risk of toxemia, as well as Vitamin D, and over 100% of the USRDA of calcium (trust me, it is rare to find a vitamin that has over 25% of the RDA of calcium), plus the clinically proven amounts of probiotics, ginger, inositol and choline. Trimedisyn is the real deal. Learn from me that not every pregnancy pans out the way you imagine. Things go wrong more often than they go right, don't take your health for granted or the health of your baby. If I have learned anything from this experience it would be to do everything I possibly can for the health of my baby now becuase what I put in my body now ill effect their health for the rest of their life. $50 a month is a small price to pay for a healthy, happy baby. I thank God everyday for the 8 weeks we had with Faith, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world but I hope I will not have to endure such a trial in my lifetime. I will get of my soap box now... sorry for being such a Debbie Downer, but hopefully someone can learn from my experience and we can prevent this from happening to somebody else.
Best of luck to you with your pregnancy. Being a mother is the greatest gift from God, enjoy every day of it!

athompson
07-02-2010, 09:17 PM
I took (and still take, as I'm still nursing) this and have been very pleased:
http://www.supernutritionusa.com/productpages/prenatal_blend.html

DebbieJ
07-02-2010, 10:28 PM
I take this: http://www.vitacost.com/Rainbow-Light-Just-Once-Prenatal-One-Multivitamin

citymama
07-03-2010, 12:58 AM
I take Rainbow Light Prenatal One, which has all vegan ingredients. I love that it's a single pill, and also it seemed very gentle on the tummy and with all the nausea.

lizzywednesday
07-06-2010, 09:17 AM
I'm near a Trader Joe's and the OB who discharged me recommended the TJ's house brand prenatal.

It's vegan for sure and may be gluten free as well.

1 pill per day... AND it was cheaper than my prescription prenatal with insurance!!!!

swissair81
07-06-2010, 09:19 AM
If you get a kosher multivitamin (the bottle should say OU or OK or somethign similar), I guarantee you there will be no pig products in your multi vitamins. I usually ask to see the doctor's samples. I don't let them just hand me whatever they feel like.

Myira
07-06-2010, 11:08 AM
I took Prenate Elite with my pregnancy and PP with nursing and this is news to me. OP, where did you see the ingredients?

luv2bmommy
07-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks all you guys for replying...we considered Trimedisyn, Rainbow Light, and settled for New Chapter. The problem we had with both Trimedisyn and Prenatalgyn was the 5000IU of vitamin A. I tried so hard to find a phone number to call both companies to ask the source of that vit A, since I feared that it would either be synthetic or animal, in either case too much and I could reach toxicity if taken anything else with vit. A of the same source. I found no phone number, sent a couple of e-mails which to this day are still unanswered, and I did not feel comfortable buying either of them. The CoQ10 and the rest of the ingredients would have been great, since the Calcium in New Chapter is very low.
I do feel extremely guilty for not requesting an ingredient list with the Prenate Elite the second time around. I will never get over that and pray to never do smth as stupid in my life again!!!
As far as the ingredients, I saw the new ones right on the box itself. Just confirmed with the pharmacist that the company has made the switch to the new production quite a while ago.